more T5 info

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

That looks real good to me. You want to do another? lol.
I only have one question though. It's pretty normal for stuff to move when you weld, how did you maintain the alignment? you make a jig or something? Or is there enough clearance in the T-5's mounting holes?
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

lots of luck and there is some slack in the holes. 1/2" holes 7/16" bolts. I used flat head bolts (for countersunk holes) to line it up. The taper on the bolt head centers everything up. tacked it up. removed trans and preheated the housing. welded the bottom first. then i welded the inside of the housing. when i ground the clearance for the roundbar i ended up with a hole in the housing. welded the top, then the side. I could only weld one side. there was not enough room on the other side.
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

T5 mounted to bellhousing

speedo gear relocated and replaced with a GM gear. took a piece of 1" pipe and machined it down to .030 wall thickness for speedo gear shim.

difference between the ford and S10 housings.

1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Kenny: Looking really good. Thanks for the update and the pics, especially of the S-10 vs Mustang tail shafts. You about ready for me to ship my bell housing to you for mods? :-)
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

Very nice!
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
cavinandpavin

Post by cavinandpavin »

i am in the midst of doin this swap now and one thing i noticed on your thread was that u are using the gm speedo gear, why is that ? i looked at mine and compared to the gear in the mustang trans it is backwards.what am i overlooking?
No, its not a windsor or a cleveland, its a three fifty TWO!
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

cavinandpavin wrote:i am in the midst of doin this swap now and one thing i noticed on your thread was that u are using the gm speedo gear, why is that ? i looked at mine and compared to the gear in the mustang trans it is backwards.what am i overlooking?
this is my opions and thoughts. this info could be wrong. look at the driven gear location in the tailhousing. ford is on top of the output shaft. Gm is on the bottom. it also needs to match the GM bullet and driven gear. the output splines are different between ford and GM (ones 27 the other is 28 ) but the gear fit with help from my hammer and a piece of pipe. :lol:
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
cavinandpavin

Post by cavinandpavin »

ahh. i see, i didnt think about the fact that the hole is in a different location. when are you planning on getting the trans in the truck and rolling? i would love to hear how your speedo works in the end.
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

here is the parts I found I needed when putting the S10 with speedometer on a ford T5 trans. as said before this is a learning curve for me and could be wrong.
tailshaft housing
top plate with the forks and shift rod ( forks are the same just the rod is different )
speedometer drive gear,driven gear, and bullet
shim for drive gear
bushing for the tailshaft ( ford and GM are different )
shifter block
S10 shifter (camaro may work )
Im putting the shifter mounting stub from the ford in the S10 base.
speedometer cable with ends to match the ford speedometer and the GM bullet. I think its 5/8 on one end 7/8 on the other.
hope this is correct and helpful.

1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
cavinandpavin

Post by cavinandpavin »

as you i got a whole s10 trans and mustang trans and am making one trans with the parts..when you say 5/8 on one end and7/8 on the other is that the nut that holds the cable in the little housing on the trans?
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

cavinandpavin wrote:as you i got a whole s10 trans and mustang trans and am making one trans with the parts..when you say 5/8 on one end and7/8 on the other is that the nut that holds the cable in the little housing on the trans?
silly me didnt get a trans. just parts. should be a 5/8 nut on speedo end and 7/8 nut on trans end. havent researched it much but should be easy to find in a parts book. I think some chevy trucks in the early 70's may have used this.
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
cavinandpavin

Post by cavinandpavin »

cool, glad you did some more reserch on the spedo than i did.lol i was so focused on findin a donor trans from a s10 i kinda droped the ball on that, by the way that trans was very hard to find
Sadler

Re: more T5 info

Post by Sadler »

So how did it all go?
I sent you a PM.