223 mods

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

The Big M
Canada

Re: 223 mods

Post by The Big M »

Not sure, I've never actually attempted it myself (although I do have a spare, lol). It would require some skilled welding as you'd be joining cast iron to mild steel.
wndsofchng06
United States of America

Post by wndsofchng06 »

Yea sounds like a mess waiting to happen.
MPH
1963 F100
Durham, NC
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Here's one for a Chevy I6 that appears simple and solid:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thre ... -6.365906/

That'd be something you'd do purely for sound though. I can't see it offering much performance benefit.
wndsofchng06
United States of America

Post by wndsofchng06 »

That's awesome! I don't expect high performance on a 50 year old straight six! But the sound would be cool to start. I didn't realize you could TIG weld the dissimilar metals!
MPH
1963 F100
Durham, NC
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

wndsofchng06 wrote:That's awesome! I don't expect high performance on a 50 year old straight six! But the sound would be cool to start. I didn't realize you could TIG weld the dissimilar metals!
If you don't TIG weld they make NiROD stick electrodes too. they are designed for welding cast.

http://www.specialmetalswelding.com/pro ... h/we55.pdf

http://www.specialmetalswelding.com/pro ... /we55x.pdf

Nic
wndsofchng06
United States of America

Post by wndsofchng06 »

My engineers at work think welding the cast may work (like the link from the HAMB), but would be weak. They were thinking of building an indirect heat riser off the after market headers to go to the bottom of the intake manifold.... Anyone done that?
MPH
1963 F100
Durham, NC
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Indirect as in a heat shield to reflect heat back to the intake?

I expect the piece in the link I posted gets some strength from the "deflector" portion of the tubing that extends all the way into the manifold. There could be a concern for cracking over time at the weld joint due to repeated expansion and contraction, but the additional outlet would only need to support a single exhaust tube. I think if one were to incorporate an expansion joint in the exhaust to account for engine movement then the load on the additional outlet would be pretty minimal.
wndsofchng06
United States of America

Post by wndsofchng06 »

The Big M wrote:Indirect as in a heat shield to reflect heat back to the intake?
Yes. With a tube to the bottom of the intake.

Good point on the load, but what about heat expansion abs contraction. Wonder how long it would hold up. Hmm
MPH
1963 F100
Durham, NC