Pulling my 352

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mr. Jones

Re: Pulling my 352

Post by Mr. Jones »

longcabjohn wrote:Since you are there, I would replace the timing set. Would be a lot cheaper that going back in later.

Johnny
Any suggestions on chain and gear....steel gear vs. plastic vs.double roller set up...
Dan
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Mr. Jones wrote:
longcabjohn wrote:Since you are there, I would replace the timing set. Would be a lot cheaper that going back in later.

Johnny
Any suggestions on chain and gear....steel gear vs. plastic vs.double roller set up...
Dan
I like the Motorsports roller chain. You can dial your cam in 9 different positions.
Chris
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

chris401 wrote:
Mr. Jones wrote:

Johnny
Dan
I like the Motorsports roller chain. You can dial your cam in 9 different positions.
Chris401,
I like the Motorsport suggestion,I don't think the 9 position cam option is something I care to attempt.Getting it back on the way it comes off is more my speed.Do you know if a double roller is available to do that......
Thanks
Dan
born4ford
United States of America

Post by born4ford »

Hi Dan, I haven't been on the forum for a while but I'm getting the '65 ready for a local show which got me thinking about all you guys again. Your project is coming along! Congrats on diving in like that. Takes me back to my starting point where i was using a putty knife to remove 50 years of oil and grease. Today I cleaned off the engine and engine bay with a damp rag, LOL. I enjoyed the whole process so much that I really should get another slick and start all over. Keep up the good work and I'm glad you kicked that cold. Julie
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Julie,
Welcome back,long time no see,aye....still waiting to see your truck....how bout some pics....and thanks for the kind words..... waiting.gif waiting.gif ...
Dan
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Not to change the subject but I'm sitting here having a cold one and saw this..... not a clue how it happened..........like some folks say,"Ain't that something,hmmmm"

chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Chris401,
I like the Motorsport suggestion,I don't think the 9 position cam option is something I care to attempt.Getting it back on the way it comes off is more my speed.Do you know if a double roller is available to do that......
Thanks
Dan
As far as quality it is better than any stamped steel timing chains I have used. I used a roller years ago but cannot remember what brand it was. Still a good chain when I traded it off after swapping to Motorsports. You can dial them in the center at 0° for a normal cam setting. With a stock 352 you can't go wrong with a 4° advance. Maybe someone can post what straight up roller they have prefered.
Chris
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Got a few things done this week....

New timing chain.....

Cleaned a few parts and primered....

So much for having this done in a few days,always other stuff gets in the way.....

Dan
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Mr. Jones wrote:Got a few things done this week....

New timing chain.....

Cleaned a few parts and primered....

So much for having this done in a few days,always other stuff gets in the way.....

Dan
Is that a Motorsports chain or did you find another brand? Can't tell with the oil slinger on.
Chris
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Does the paint stripper do anything for rust?
Chris
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Finally finished the long block clean up and paint...

Rebuilder did things right,all caps marked.......

Plugs weren't to bad,valve stem seals next on list....

And cleaned and painted all the stuff.....

orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Any updates Dan?
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Robb,
Nothing to report since the last post above....trying to figure out how to get compressed air into the combustion chamber chamber and hold it in there while I do the stem seals......anyone ever done that??Yesterday I sat down and confirmed TDC and pulley location.....everything looks good so far..... saw your FB post I probably have a glass cover for that cluster.If you need it,postage only.....
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

As for holding your valves: I'd make an adapter from a spark plug to an air fitting and just hook your compressor to it. You could also put cotton rope into the cylinder and move it to the top of the stroke to hold the valves in place.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Mr. Jones wrote:Robb,
Nothing to report since the last post above....trying to figure out how to get compressed air into the combustion chamber chamber and hold it in there while I do the stem seals......anyone ever done that??Yesterday I sat down and confirmed TDC and pulley location.....everything looks good so far..... saw your FB post I probably have a glass cover for that cluster.If you need it,postage only.....
Thanks for the offer Dan. The glass that was in it was fine. Just cleaned the black goop that was around the outside of it. I assume you use a bit of RTV to hold the glass against the bezel? Need to figure out if its stainless or just pressed steel. If stainless, I may polish with some steel wool and clear it. Otherwise will hit with some silver paint.
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Figured out how to post pics.using VGY.ME...(suggested by 66CamperSpecial) also added an app from the App Store to resize pictures.......working so far and fairly simple,but not as quick to post as PB.....if I can do it anyone can
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Great work Dan. Looks awesome!

Is that a clutch type fan?