460 in a 66 f100

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

I got your PM.
It sounds like you didn't use the right perches, or use the correct frame holes.

The correct motor mounts are 3 pieces each side. On is a cup that bolts to the engine. One is a perch that bolts to the frame. The third is the rubber insulator that fits between them. In addition, the three pieces are cross-bolted together with 2 long bolts, to keep the engine from ripping the rubber insulator apart and making your radiator fan a new hood ornament.
If you used the 390 perches, they won't work.

The holes to correctly mount the bottom perches are already punched in the frame (if it is a '65 or later). There are three frame holes (if I remember correctly) and 2 cross member holes, and the correct ones on the frame may have become goobered up. The factory 460 perches line up, and do so with only one set of holes.
big block 66 f100

Post by big block 66 f100 »

maybe its me but this is not working :twisted:
Thunderboy

Post by Thunderboy »

You have read this page in this link below carefully, right? It is written for 67-72 trucks, but it works for 65-66 trucks, too. There are photos of the correct mounts towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.fordification.com/tech/engine-perches.htm

I live about an hour away from you, and I could meet you in, say, Elk Grove if you want to compare my perches to yours, if you don't think you have correct mounts.

I PM'ed you earlier with my phone. Call me tomorrow if you want.
Drew

66 F250 Frame swap, EFI 408W, ZF 5-speed swap (still!) in progress
63 Falcon Futura EFI 331W, T5, but not much progress... Slicks First!!!
Roger Carter
United States of America

Post by Roger Carter »

Roger Carter wrote:
banjopicker66 wrote:Yes.
You will need the engine perches from a '73 - '79 F-250 that had a 460. They bolt right up to the '66 frame.
More importantly, they position the engine and the transmission in the correct position to properly sit in the truck.
This is the factory way, and it is the way I did it on my truck, very successfully.

Same here, as long as we are talking a 2wd truck. Really not much more than a nut and bolt project when using the 73-79 Ford parts.
Another option is to use the L&L converston motor mount insulators. They are a pancake type insulator, rather than the cross colt type from Ford. I believe L&L offer the 460 mounts to fit the FE frame stands and the small block stands.
Exhaust can be an issue, also. The stock Ford truck manifolds will work with the Ford mounts, as will 73-79 headers. Not sure what works with the L&L mounts.
Here are some pictures from the last swap I did. Not a lot of detail, but they do show the finished clearances with the headers, power steering and brakes. This conversion was done using the 73-39 Ford pieces.

[albumimg]6657[/albumimg] [albumimg]6658[/albumimg]
You can see the Ford mounts and towers in the above pictures

[albumimg]6659[/albumimg] [albumimg]6660[/albumimg]
The headers look a lot tighter than they are. Good fit and clearance everywhere. No modifications and an easy bolt up. The headers are Hedman Elite.

[albumimg]6661[/albumimg] [albumimg]6662[/albumimg]
Had to use a smaller brake booster due to the tall Motorsport valve covers.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck.

Roger Carter

I know there isn't a great deal of detail in these pictures from my previous post, but they do show a 460 in a '66 using the three piece mounts Thunderboy, and Fordification, are talking about.
These mounts were taken from a '78 F-250 2wd truck, and directly bolted into the '66. The rear face of the block is in the same place (front to back) as the rear face of the 352 I removed from the truck
I will check to see if I have any other pictures thar better show the install.

Roger Carter
big block 66 f100

460 in a 66

did anyone that did this swap have to drill new holes cause i could drill new perch holes but everyone is saying that i dont need to..i think maybe my truck was messed up from the factory
Thunderboy

Post by Thunderboy »

I spoke with BB over the phone, and it sounds like the frame holes (or lack of them) may be the problem. He will send me some photos of the mounts on the frame, so hopefully we can figure this out. I will try to post when he sends them. He describes that he is using the same holes that the original FE perches mounted in, and the engine is slanted to one side (toward the driver's side, I think). He seems pretty certain of the correct perches, as he pulled them himself from a 73 with a 460, and he says they look like the ones pictured.

I suggested that he set the engine in starting with the (C6) tranny mount for front-to-rear clearance, and then set the engine with mounts and perches on the crossmember, and see which, if any, holes line up on one side or the other. It could be that the perch holes don't exist, for one reason or another?

Anyone with other ideas or suggestions would be helpful... :?
Drew

big block 66 f100

here goes some pics[/img]
big block 66 f100

big block 66 f100 wrote:here goes some pics[/img]
thats a big fat fail
Thunderboy

Post by Thunderboy »

Sorry, this is the hardest website I've ever encountered for posting a photo on the post!

There is a photo in my gallery of the engine perches mounted in Big Block's engine bay. Looks to me that the passenger side perch is further forward relative to the driver's side.

There needs to be a primer on putting pix on the post! I've spent nearly an hour fighting this! :twisted: :evil:
Last edited by Thunderboy on December 18, 2009, 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drew

Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

Passenger side bracket is in the wrong holes. The top rear bolt does not go inside the crossmember, it goes in the hole just behind the crossmember on the top frame rail. Hawkrod

http://fordtruk.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=7241&user_id=1310
big block 66 f100

thank you everyone that helped me out, hawkrod,banjopicker,thunderboy and roger carter. I really appreciate it, will post pics 2morrow when I put the engine in...i forgot a few people bluebolt,iceman thank you too. :D
Last edited by big block 66 f100 on December 18, 2009, 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thunderboy

Post by Thunderboy »

Thanks, Hawkrod! I knew it was out of kilter, but I didn't know which side.

Good Luck, Big Block! :D
Drew

big block 66 f100

[img]C:\Users\~NaYnAy~\Pictures\2009-12-17%20my%20pic\my%20pic%20020.JPG[/img][/img]
Thunderboy

Post by Thunderboy »

I meant good luck with the install. If you have good luck uploading pictures as well, then you are definitely a better man than I! :wink:
Drew

big block 66 f100

Thunderboy wrote:I meant good luck with the install. If you have good luck uploading pictures as well, then you are definitely a better man than I! :wink:
i wanted to see if i could do it but no luck :oops:
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

For pics it's best to load into photobucket. Then highlight the bottom code next press the control button & the letter c at the same time. go to your posting in Slick 60's and press control & the letter v at the same time, it will now show in your post.
Tom Williams
Thunderboy

Post by Thunderboy »

OMG, It works!!!!!:dancing: :D :lol: 8) :woohoo: jenkins.gif hurrah.gif

This is not my Slick, BTW, I took a photo of it at Bonneville last August... Thanks so much, Tom!

Drew

Roger Carter
United States of America

Post by Roger Carter »

Looks like we got a twofer there. A member's problem solved AND pictures! And with any luck Big Block can make it a trifecta!

Roger Carter
big block 66 f100

put the engine in tonight fits gooooood thanks everyone for the help i will post up pics in the morning. :D
big block 66 f100

Hawkrod wrote:Passenger side bracket is in the wrong holes. The top rear bolt does not go inside the crossmember, it goes in the hole just behind the crossmember on the top frame rail. Hawkrod

http://fordtruk.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=7241&user_id=1310
does anyone know if that piece of the frame that my exhaust is sitting on is nessacery or can i cut it out its kinda in the way :boxing: