460 in a 66 f100

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

big block 66 f100

460 in a 66 f100

Post by big block 66 f100 »

i just got my motor back from the machine shop and have no way to put it in.i called summit and they have a kit for 140 but i have to do alot of stuff does anyone here know a easy way to put a 460 in a 66 f100 any help would be very helpfull
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

Yes.
You will need the engine perches from a '73 - '79 F-250 that had a 460. They bolt right up to the '66 frame.
More importantly, they position the engine and the transmission in the correct position to properly sit in the truck.
This is the factory way, and it is the way I did it on my truck, very successfully.
Roger Carter
United States of America

Post by Roger Carter »

banjopicker66 wrote:Yes.
You will need the engine perches from a '73 - '79 F-250 that had a 460. They bolt right up to the '66 frame.
More importantly, they position the engine and the transmission in the correct position to properly sit in the truck.
This is the factory way, and it is the way I did it on my truck, very successfully.

Same here, as long as we are talking a 2wd truck. Really not much more than a nut and bolt project when using the 73-79 Ford parts.
Another option is to use the L&L converston motor mount insulators. They are a pancake type insulator, rather than the cross colt type from Ford. I believe L&L offer the 460 mounts to fit the FE frame stands and the small block stands.
Exhaust can be an issue, also. The stock Ford truck manifolds will work with the Ford mounts, as will 73-79 headers. Not sure what works with the L&L mounts.
Here are some pictures from the last swap I did. Not a lot of detail, but they do show the finished clearances with the headers, power steering and brakes. This conversion was done using the 73-39 Ford pieces.

[albumimg]6657[/albumimg] [albumimg]6658[/albumimg]
You can see the Ford mounts and towers in the above pictures

[albumimg]6659[/albumimg] [albumimg]6660[/albumimg]
The headers look a lot tighter than they are. Good fit and clearance everywhere. No modifications and an easy bolt up. The headers are Hedman Elite.

[albumimg]6661[/albumimg] [albumimg]6662[/albumimg]
Had to use a smaller brake booster due to the tall Motorsport valve covers.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck.

Roger Carter
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

429/460 will bolt in easily in a 4x4 as long as its the 66 f100 4x4, get the perches from a late 70s f150 4x4 with 400 and order the L&L mounts.

L&L mounts pose no problem for the stock exhaust.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
bluebolt

460 mounts

Post by bluebolt »

460 engine mount options

2wd 1965-1979
factory setup from 1975-1979 truck, hard to find, can be expensive, not available from Ford anymore.
Trans Dapt 9720, $128 from Summit. Requires installation of mounts to engine, put engine in engine bay, mark holes in crossmember, remove engine and drill holes. Not an easy installation and design looks a little weak for a high performance 460 IMHO. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-9 ... refilter=1
these plates from Ebay but you will need 302 or 351M/400 frame stantions from a 1969-1979 truck. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-4x4 ... ccessories
These in my opinion are the best and strongest mounts but they ain't cheap, however when you have a flying F100 that does long jumps you need beef! http://www.autofab.com/2wd460.htm
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

Yeah, what Banjo said, the stock mounts are cheap and easy to get. They are not rare or expensive. You will spend more money buying aftermarket and it does not work nearly as well. The stock ones usually can be had for about $100 for a complete set. I have used them in every truck I have except my 4X4 where I used L & L mounts. Guess which ones broke? Hawkrod
bluebolt

Mounts

Post by bluebolt »

Hawkrod wrote:Yeah, what Banjo said, the stock mounts are cheap and easy to get. They are not rare or expensive. You will spend more money buying aftermarket and it does not work nearly as well. The stock ones usually can be had for about $100 for a complete set. I have used them in every truck I have except my 4X4 where I used L & L mounts. Guess which ones broke? Hawkrod

Maybe they used to be more common hawkrod but when the scrap metal was high a few years ago I think a lot of older trucks got crushed. I hardly see dentsides in the U-pull-its anymore, bumps rarely and haven't seen a slick in years. The last set of original mounts I saw on Ebay went for around $200 I believe. The rubber mounts Anchor #2502 are still available for around $13 each at least if you can find the frame brackets. I know where I can get a set right now for around $150.
big block 66 f100

460 in a 66 f100

I took the stands off the donor truck im going to get some solid mounts and see what it does thanks everyone for the help and advice.
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

I got your PM - I did not use headers. I used the factory exhaust manifolds, and a dual exhaust system.

As for the 460 engine mounts, there are 3 pieces on each side.
One bolts to the frame, and one bolts to the block.
The rubber insulator, commonly called the motor mount, fits in between. You really need all three pieces. The block mounted piece is a cup that fits over the insulator.
Most importantly, the cup, insulator and perch are all crossbolted together. A 460 generates so much power that it will rip the rubber insulator right off if it isn't crossbolted down.
The same is true of the after market mounts, they aren't strong enough to hold it down at full power.
If you drive sedately all the time, you won't have a problem. But if you do not use the factory mounts and you romp on it, don't be surprised if you see your hood wearing the fan as a hood ornament.
Hawkrod
United States of America

Re: Mounts

Post by Hawkrod »

bluebolt wrote:
Hawkrod wrote:Yeah, what Banjo said, the stock mounts are cheap and easy to get. They are not rare or expensive. You will spend more money buying aftermarket and it does not work nearly as well. The stock ones usually can be had for about $100 for a complete set. I have used them in every truck I have except my 4X4 where I used L & L mounts. Guess which ones broke? Hawkrod

Maybe they used to be more common hawkrod but when the scrap metal was high a few years ago I think a lot of older trucks got crushed. I hardly see dentsides in the U-pull-its anymore, bumps rarely and haven't seen a slick in years. The last set of original mounts I saw on Ebay went for around $200 I believe. The rubber mounts Anchor #2502 are still available for around $13 each at least if you can find the frame brackets. I know where I can get a set right now for around $150.

I don't know where you are but that is not the case here. I have 10 sets here now and nobody has ever hit the BIN on eBay at $125 although it usually gets close to $100 (I always have the BIN in case somebody is desperate). It has gotten to the point that I am not even pulling them because they are not selling well on eBay like they used to and so my stock piled up. There is even a pair of blockside parts on eBay now for $20 begging a buyer and those used to be in high demand because they were always missing. Hawkrod
bluebolt

Re: Mounts

Post by bluebolt »

[/quote] I don't know where you are but that is not the case here. I have 10 sets here now and nobody has ever hit the BIN on eBay at $125 although it usually gets close to $100 (I always have the BIN in case somebody is desperate). It has gotten to the point that I am not even pulling them because they are not selling well on eBay like they used to and so my stock piled up. There is even a pair of blockside parts on eBay now for $20 begging a buyer and those used to be in high demand because they were always missing. Hawkrod[/quote]

I am near Shreveport LA in NW corner. Population around here is around 250,000 in the NW LA area. I used to live in Merced CA and miss the Pick-N Pull's there.

Sounds like you need to sell a set to the original poster LOL.
big block 66 f100

thanks everyone for the help.
ABA

Post by ABA »

banjopicker66 wrote:Yes.
Why won't the perches from say a '69 to '72 work?
I'm going to be swapping out to a 429 from a '70 F250 reason I ask and was planning on using the perches from it.
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

i didn't think the 67-72 trucks came with 385 series engines?
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
ABA

Post by ABA »

ezernut9mm wrote:i didn't think the 67-72 trucks came with 385 series engines?
May not have come that way but it's in there. :o
I owned a '69 longbed with a 460 in it.

Guess I'll find out when I remove the 429.
Plan on removing the 352 that's in the Slick this weekend if the weather cooperates.

That reminds me...I need to start a build thread. :)
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

i think the engine perches are bolt in's up to 79.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

BTW, Welcome to Slick 60s.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
big block 66 f100

Greg D wrote:BTW, Welcome to Slick 60s.
thank you
big block 66 f100

460 in a 66

ok so tonight when i got home i went to put the engine in and its all crooked but i dont know to move the driver side forward or the passenger back anyone know what way to go :oops:
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

Which perches did you use?
The holes for mounting the Ford 385 perches to the truck are already in the frame and cross member from the factory, and they pretty much only go on one way.