Relocating Stock Fuel Tank to in the bed , behind the cab???

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Southern64

Relocating Stock Fuel Tank to in the bed , behind the cab???

Post by Southern64 »

Would this be possible, or has any one done it? thanks
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

I did that to my 65. I just took the org tank and turned it around so the fill is on the pass side of the truck and then had a cover built to protect the tank
There are some Days I should not be let to go into the public without adult supervision
Southern64

Post by Southern64 »

Do you have any pictures of it? Trying to think of how to mount it if I go that way.
flareside64

Post by flareside64 »

There are a lot of people who have mounted the original tank in the bed. I saw one slick in a magazine with it done.. Has anyone seen the yellow bumpside in the Charles Bronson movie Mr. Majestyk? The original tank was in the bed on that truck too. Apparently people were doing it back in the early 70's as well
Travis
1949 F-4 226/4 speed
1964 F100 223/3 speed
1965 F100 4x4 445/4 speed
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

Dont think I have any pics. I used 2 pieces of angle botled to the floor for the bottom of the tank to set in and that way it cant slide . I then drilled 3 holes in the front of the box and used spacers to bolt it through the orig mounting holes to the front of the box just below the front rail. Then the orig fill tube was cut in half and rewelded at a angle to set the cap about the level of the bed. I have a soft tonneu cover on it and just flip the right front corner of it up to access the tank
There are some Days I should not be let to go into the public without adult supervision
fire truck

Post by fire truck »

Why, when you could put one under the bed for under $100????
Southern64

Post by Southern64 »

b/c this is essentially free, and I have already spent thousands on this truck... haha Image
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

stepside64 wrote:There are a lot of people who have mounted the original tank in the bed. I saw one slick in a magazine with it done.. Has anyone seen the yellow bumpside in the Charles Bronson movie Mr. Majestyk? The original tank was in the bed on that truck too. Apparently people were doing it back in the early 70's as well

worked quite well for Majestyk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghXatUGIi9g
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
fire truck

Post by fire truck »

Koowell....
ABA

Post by ABA »

I did it to a '69 longbed. Bed toolbox hid it pretty good.
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

I thought about a under bed tank and decided I did not want to have to move stuff that was in the back of the truck every time I went for gas. I only carry stuff like chairs, tool boxes, coolers, duffle bags and suitcases but it is all stuff I don't want to be pumping gas right next to and I was not going to cut a hole in the side of the bed for a fill door. We always put our cooler in the back so we can keep getting to them when we stop. The way mine is set up all I have to do is unsnap 4 snaps and flip the corner of the tonneu cover back and the gas cap is right there.
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

Put it under the bed and get kstone to make you a trick tail light filler like he's doing on his truck. It is way kool...
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:
worked quite well for Majestyk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghXatUGIi9g

The quick-release horn ring is quite clever too. :wink:
ScottRod

Post by ScottRod »

I've read alot about gas tank relocation on here and my question is still...why?
I just pulled my tank out of the bed, where the previous owner had it mounted. The filler tube was stickin clear out in space...looked stupid.
I was gonna mount it back where it belongs but pulled the sending unit to check it out inside. Man I'm glad I did!
I've not seen one that bad...gonna try the muratic acid trick and pressure washer before I get too excited.

ScottRod
ScottRod
ScottRod Customs
'64 F-100, '66 Mustang, '05 Road King
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

The idea is to gain some space inside the cab. Removing the tank means more legroom. I think another reason is that an aftermarket Mustang tank is cheaper and easier to find than a factory replacement for the in-cab tank. There are disadvantages of course, filler placement being one.
snopek

Post by snopek »

Southern64 wrote:b/c this is essentially free, and I have already spent thousands on this truck... haha Image

just wondering why you fliped the tank around?
Truckfarmer2

Post by Truckfarmer2 »

flipping the tank around makes it fit closer to the front of the box. Now it just needs a cover like Kid and Matt did and it looks finished.
If you continue to buy imports, where will your children work?
MattsIASlickShop

Post by MattsIASlickShop »

The Big M wrote:The idea is to gain some space inside the cab. Removing the tank means more legroom. I think another reason is that an aftermarket Mustang tank is cheaper and easier to find than a factory replacement for the in-cab tank. There are disadvantages of course, filler placement being one.
More legroom is not gonna happen. The seat will only go back as far as it can already.
More storage space is the big reason to do it. Doing it so the gas spilled from the filler neck on the paint is another huge reason to do it.
When we did it, we cut the filler neck at an angle and welded it back together so it would fit better in the bed. We made the cover to look better and protect the tank from bed cargo.
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up. 8)
Southern64

Post by Southern64 »

Matt, what kind of fittings/fuel pump did you use? As you can see at this link, I am having some issues: http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14730