Crew Cab Clean Concept

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

DanSanDiego2000

Crew Cab Clean Concept

Post by DanSanDiego2000 »

First of all, let me say thanks (and apologize) for borrowing the photo of another enthusiast here.

I do not mean to poke holes in your project, but rather, I found YOUR project inspiring, and took a little artistic license with your image, and brainstormed for all to see.

I do love the Crew Cabs, too, but I have always felt that the Coach Builders did not do justice to the lines of the original cab.

The blind spots and non-complementary lines seemed haphazardly strung about.

If FoMoCo had built these themselves, I imagined that different shape door frames, different rooflines, and different B-Pillars would certainly have been considered.

[albumimg]7695[/albumimg]Before [albumimg]7696[/albumimg]After

In this rough 'copy and paste' rendering, I lengthened the front and rear doors, minimized the metal on the B-Pillar separating the doors, and aside from some shading on colors, this looks like the picture in my mind as to how Ford may have done it (or should have done it IMHO). In fact, the length of the cab and frame remain unchanged, only the door lengths and lines changed.

So.... I got myself into trouble again (hopefully not with the owner of this photo), because now this concept is going to intrigue and tempt me, until maybe such time that I attempt to fabricate my own Crew Cab.

Your thoughts and impression/opinions are welcomed.

Dan
Last edited by DanSanDiego2000 on February 13, 2010, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Nice.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

I have thought of the same things to do to make it better. I hope to do that to my F1000 big Slicks.
Tom Williams
UNIFAN

Post by UNIFAN »

I have two cabs I had thought about merging together. The only thing I have to add is I was going to suicide the rear doors to help make the center pillar as thin as possible. It would also need to be one piece glass. You know, if we keep having focus groups on these matters someone is going to have to do something about it and build it! :lol: Kinda like the Uni panel.
Obsa
United States of America

Post by Obsa »

Look good to me Dan, so next project I assume?
As my dad used to say, somewhere there was a horse that died a painful death from terminal constipation due to missing a key part of its anatomy.
fire truck
United States of America

Post by fire truck »

Dan,

Get out of my mind man! I would love to make the doors longer all the way around on a crew. I would also like to see the rear doors with out with windows...suicide doors would rock!

Are you aware that in 1965 and 66 ford built slick crews in the factory? I have two...
So good lookin' that I've attracted an international stalker.

Rest in Peace Bumpstick....I miss ya man.
DanSanDiego2000

fire truck wrote:Dan,

Get out of my mind man! I w .......... Are you aware that in 1965 and 66 ford built slick crews in the factory? I have two...

I guess I had heard that they had done Factory Crews in those years, but from what I have seen of crews, not even FoMoCo had the lines and symmetry right.

Looks like a goal worth setting!!

Dan
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

UNIFAN wrote: You know, if we keep having focus groups on these matters someone is going to have to do something about it and build it! :lol: Kinda like the Uni panel.

ss_pokes2.gif I have my eye out for the "right" truck for the Unipanel. Has to be a SWB Uni that doesn't need a crap load of patching. I search around about weekly. I really should finish the "62 Salt Flat Slick" first though. Hoping to have her done this year. I have the Unipanel 95% planned out - still working out the rear doors a little.
Oh, I need a paint scheme for it, lol.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

I ditto your opinion. The B pillar is way to wide on the ones built in the day. The guy that built this cab has the right idea with the rear door window frame. 64 Ranger posted the pics of this crew. He knows the guy that built it. I don't think that he's a member though. Too bad. I'd love to see this truck progress through the build. By the way, on the rear doors of this cab, is that a 57 - 60 window opening???
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I keep thnking in the back of my mind that I should build a crewcab when I am done with my 63. I would consider building a cab if I couldn't find a good cab. I want to put it on a late model F250 or F350 frame with a diese
l in it for a fifth wheel hauler when I semi-retire. I need to keep alll these ideas in the back of my head for someday.
Maybe someday but I need to be able to get rid of my work truck so I have a place to put it.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
UNIFAN

Post by UNIFAN »

Reds Rod Shop wrote:By the way, on the rear doors of this cab, is that a 57 - 60 window opening???

Red, It appears to be a 57-60 model window frame sectioned into the stock door probably near the middle of the window. Rear of window frame being stock and the 60 model being the section nearest the b pillar. Pretty sure he would of had some work reshaping the 60 door frame to match the stock as they don't match. Looks like he kept the vent window so he wouldn't have to redo hinges and glass. I would try and suicide the rear doors and do one piece glass. You know just snap your fingers and SHAZZAM! :lol:
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

I like the line on your revised picture.

I'd previously seen this one on other sites - the guy calls it 64 double door since it has 4 full size doors.

[img]http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1079&d=1254690924

But in my mind, yeah I agree the B pillar is still to thick.

So what I was toying with was taking another pair of doors & using the rear of the right door to "fix" the front of the left door & vice/versa. That'd get us a lot closer to "easy" and looking good, without as much custom work as the photoshopped drawings would require.

Of course, I'm so deep in my 63 at the moment that it'd be years before I entertain this line of thought.[/img]
don morris II

Post by don morris II »

you know if you build it they will come old.gif ss_pokes2.gif
FORD, FAST, FLYING, FIRST, ALL START WITH F IS,NT THAT "SLICK"
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

along the train of thought of lengthening the doors, As I hope to do on Aggie,

has anybody come up with any solutions for longer window trim/felt pieces for the ledge?
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
DanSanDiego2000

blackagatha wrote:along the train of thought of lengthening the doors, As I hope to do on Aggie, has anybody come up with any solutions for longer window trim/felt pieces for the ledge?

I would be willing to bet that the manufacturers cut the material from loooong rolls of stock. With a little persuasion, you could possibly order longer pieces. Stranger things have happened.
Obsa
United States of America

Post by Obsa »

Just a quick google search turned up

http://www.sutherlandfelt.com/poly.htm

Page 4 of this pdf file has what you need

http://www.classicautoparts.com/pdfinde ... uarter.pdf
As my dad used to say, somewhere there was a horse that died a painful death from terminal constipation due to missing a key part of its anatomy.
DanSanDiego2000

Obsa wrote:Just a quick google search turned up

http://www.sutherlandfelt.com/poly.htm

Page 4 of this pdf file has what you need

http://www.classicautoparts.com/pdfinde ... uarter.pdf

Obsa,

Very cool resource. Good find.

Dan
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

I agree, Obsa great resource!
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
Obsa
United States of America

Post by Obsa »

No problem guys, glad to help
My1stSlick
United States of America

Post by My1stSlick »

Looks really nice from a visually asthetic standpoint...but I think that the B pillar may have been designed that way to reduce cab twist and flex, and also to provide stronger roof support in the even of a rollover. Just postulating.

You rendering DOES look nicer though, good work!