Crew Cab Clean Concept

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

I would say the big ugly pillar would DEFINITELY be stronger.... but DAAAAAAAM its ugly.

I think if you were interested in retaining some safety, you might consider a rollbar of sorts, maybe embed it into the interior bodywork, and squeezed in above the headliner?

just a thought, but ya might think about it....
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
fire truck
United States of America

Post by fire truck »

My1stSlick wrote:Looks really nice from a visually asthetic standpoint...but I think that the B pillar may have been designed that way to reduce cab twist and flex, and also to provide stronger roof support in the even of a rollover. Just postulating.

You rendering DOES look nicer though, good work!

That is definitely not the case. The roof on a factory crew has no supports. I don't understand why they did that since the regular cabs have a roof support...
So good lookin' that I've attracted an international stalker.

Rest in Peace Bumpstick....I miss ya man.
My1stSlick
United States of America

Post by My1stSlick »

That's nutty..
jwh f-100
United States of America

Post by jwh f-100 »

Maybe the B-pillars were made/left wide to make room for the rear door hinges..

Using the 57-60 door frame is a big improvement..
Jason

Beer will change the world.

I don't know how but it will.
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

Actually I think the b pillar was just plain simple. They cut the doors to keep the length reasonable, and so that they could use the same side glass w/o vents. The b pillar just filled the leftover space.
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

jwh f-100 wrote:Maybe the B-pillars were made/left wide to make room for the rear door hinges..

Using the 57-60 door frame is a big improvement..

Rusty 63 wrote:Actually I think the b pillar was just plain simple. They cut the doors to keep the length reasonable, and so that they could use the same side glass w/o vents. The b pillar just filled the leftover space.

While I don't have an actual crew to study, I have studied a lot of pictures of them in anticipation of building a custom crew out of 2 seperate cabs. I agree with Jason and Paul. From the looks of it, the space that this builder left between the doors is for the hinges. This could be minimized by suiciding the rear doors and also add to the cool factor. The factory ones seemed to be the simpliest way for the builders to modify the doors just like Paul said. I like the way that this builder incorperated a fridge window frame to minimize the look of the "B" pillar. This modification looks as if the truck should have looked from the factory. If he had just suicided the rear doors he could have really shrunk the "B" pillar. In this instance, a built in roll bar at the "B" pillar might not be a bad idea for safety reasons though.
jamesdfo
Canada

Re: Crew Cab Clean Concept

Post by jamesdfo »

I just stumbled across this thread, whilst doing a search for something:)

Anyways, sounds interesting, but sadly, the pic that was originally in the first post by OP has disappeared:(

Anyone have this saved on their hard drives??

James
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Not the pic you seek, but took me forever to find it again.

bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Too bad they didn't go with either a bed on both the front and back or the front clip on boths ends. This still requires a good double take.