To Disc, or not to Disc?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

To Disc, or not to Disc?

Keep the drums?
21%
Go with Discs?
79%

Total votes: 52

DukeRoche
United States of America

To Disc, or not to Disc?

Post by DukeRoche »

When I think of my next project, the brakes come to mind. Since none of them work, regardless of what I do everything will need to be replaced. My question for the group is (although I'm sure this has been polled before), do I stick with the drums, or go with discs. I don't really know to much about the difference so pros and cons would be awesome to.
The Green Machine

GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!
F7BIGJOB
Location: West Greenwich, Rhode Island & Providence Plantations
United States of America

Post by F7BIGJOB »

I cast the first vote. I love stock scared.gif I don't drive that fast and my brakes work/stop ok. My :2cents:
F7BIGJOB
-Steve

1965 F-250 4x4 Flareside

ImageImage
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

i won't vote because i think that if you have good working drums there is no reason to swap them (this is my opinion). however, if you have to replace everything anyways i would swap to front discs and repair the rear drums.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

Unless your building some kind of Hot Rod Slick, I would stick with Drum/Drum. But...... If you are having to pull it all and fix/replace it all anyway, put the front disc rear drum set-up back on it.... Again, unless you are building the Hot Rod Slick, stay with the Drum/Drum...... hope this is as clear as mud... :wink:
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I swapped to discs when I had a tired 223 in the 62. The difference in how nice it stops is amazing. Not only do you have better stopping power but the brakes just "feel" better.
Besides, like Chris says if you have to do them anyway now is the time.
Don't know if you've seen it but I took pics and did a step by step as I did mine. Took me an afternoon.

http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2647
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
f100jim
United States of America

Post by f100jim »

Of course discs are better,but I haven't had problems with my drums. I figure if it aint broke don't fix it.
DanSanDiego2000

Post by DanSanDiego2000 »

I like my 4-wheel Dumb brakes
(with original power booster AND single master cylinder).

Adjusted once a year or so, and flushed every bit as often, the drums do the job, and the lines stay solid and safe.

The power booster makes a world of difference, though. I am a proponent of 4-wheel drum, but I would never pass up the booster.

If the truck had factory option for front disc, I would be 100% supportive of 'changing' to the optional disc.

I am such a stickler for originality in some ways, but not in all.
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Discs for me, for a number of reasons:
1) had to replace most of the system anyway
2) easier to get parts
3) Reversible if I ever wanted to go back to stock
4) I bought the truck to tow, and drums really not safe in today's traffic IMO
5) drum brakes are a PITA to work on and I loathe dealing with all the springs
6) simply, the truck stops better
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
BigMike
United States of America

Post by BigMike »

Disc/Disc

:peepwall:
1965 F250 352 4spd/Dana 4.10 (sold)
1991 Porsche 964 Cabriolet
2006 Cheby Silverado
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee - yeah, it's a HEMI
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

Duke, I did my 63 back before I knew my options and totally overhauled the front brake system ( dual piston cylinders, springs, cut drums ) I also added a power brake booster from a 97 Ranger.
Had I known........I would have done the disc swap.
The cost was nearly identical.
However, the power drums do work great and I don't regret what I did. Just saying, you will invest about the same costs if you totally overhaul the stock system.
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Since rebuilding and or replacing go disc on the front. The straight axle trucks had a a tendency to pull left or right after setting for awhile, the disc brakes eliminate this problem. No need for power disc setup if not running HP engine, and disc on the rear cost more than it would be worth for the upgrade. Also, front drum are fairly expensive if you have to replace those. and may not be available in your area. Better driving and better braking with the disc setup. Cost may not be that much more than cost of rebuilding front brakes back to stock. I agree with the drum brakes being most of what you need with these trucks, with one exception. Towing a heavy load may cause you to glaze the drum brakes sif you don't have trailer brakes. I have experienced this with my 66. Otherwise, I seldom have any problems with stock brakes.

Rich
DukeRoche
United States of America

Post by DukeRoche »

Appreciate the answers, but let me ask this. If your going to disc the front, whats the benefit to keeping drums in the back?
The Green Machine

GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!
truckster

Post by truckster »

DukeRoche wrote:Appreciate the answers, but let me ask this. If your going to disc the front, whats the benefit to keeping drums in the back?

discs in rear would just be overkill. i think drums are fine unless you're doing some heavy hauling or running 80+ mph....some might like the peace of mind of having discs i guess.
1965 F350

Post by 1965 F350 »

Where I work there are alot of hills and people everywhere, and drum brakes tend to fade. That plus the single chamber master cylinder. Bad combo.
Since it's such and easy swap I say why not.
I also feel that the quality of the wheel cylinders you buy now leave alot to be desired.
The 4x4 has ther 79 dana 60 up front so it has the huge dual piston calipers. Every time I hit the brakes they make me smile.
The red truck is getting discs next. I'm collecting parts for the swap now.
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

My opinion is that you can't have overkill when it comes to brakes. Getting going is fun but getting stopped is a necessity.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Why are drums OK on the rear?
When you apply the brakes the momentum shifts the weight forward. This decreases the weight on the rear wheels.
Under hard braking if the friction is the same on the front & rear brakes the rears will lock up because there not enough weight/traction to override the brakes. A proportioning valve helps too - it's necessary on some vehicles.
Modern cars that have rear discs also have anti lock brakes - you probably wouldn't want to adapt one of those to your truck.
My truck doesn't presently have a prop valve. This same brake system was fine on the Uni, untested on the 64. I drove the Uni on water, snow, ice, and of course dry pavement - I had NO problems with the rears locking too easily. I also have a pretty serious difference in the front & rear tire sizes. The big rears have more traction and need a bigger brake than the smaller fronts - sort of has the same effect as the prop valve. This was "estimated" on my part and it seems to be fine. That doesn't mean it'll work on the 64 or another truck - the long wheel base helps too.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
34rdztr

Post by 34rdztr »

disc vote for me....they dont duck and dart like drum brakes...plus i dont have to adjust them.....just call me lazy i guess
disc stop better but drum brakes have better holding power but tend to fade quicker when they get hot
smith and company auto
1600 crump street
richmond va 23223
804 648 8737

07 PINKS WINNER @ VMP
IHRA CHASSIS INSPECTOR
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

A no brainer for me. disc all the way
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Bill W

Post by Bill W »

I vote Disc.... even if you spend crazy money to do it like i did.

this is my 63 f250

i have the pattern for the custom bracket if anyone wants it.
Obsa
United States of America

Post by Obsa »

Back when I was driving the 66 I was one of those"Keep It Stock Stupid" people myself, even to the point of letting a perfectly good Dent donor go for 300.00. When my son took over the truck I insisted he change out to a dual chamber MC first ride in the truck after the changeover made a believer out of me (he being 30 yrs. younger than I had a much more shall we say agressive driving style)

Drum brakes work fine but Discs are better IMHO Overkill on brakes is a good thing!
As my dad used to say, somewhere there was a horse that died a painful death from terminal constipation due to missing a key part of its anatomy.