Question about fender bolts...

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

cwindsor

Question about fender bolts...

Post by cwindsor »

I have a question about fender bolts...

I ordered a Totally Stainless kit which includes all the bolts for the body.

When I took my fenders off I had to cut the head of the bolts to get them off the car. (the clip on bolt stripped out the fender)

What should I do in this case to bolt the fenders back to the cab?

Also the Rubber pads that the Radiator support sits on are bad... Any ideas?
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: Question about fender bolts...

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

you will have to get new u-nuts, if you do not have a good hardware nearby you can order them online
here is one place
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Nuts_U_s/115.htm

rubber pads i would get from flashback f100s
http://www.flashbackf100s.com/home
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
William-in-St George

Post by William-in-St George »

Add to what Iceman said, I'd take a look at replacing the cab rubber bushings. You can use regular nuts on the fender bolts but the U nuts like the factory used are really nice to work with and appear more stock. I often work by myself and those U nots are nice. IMHO!
William-in-St. George
65MercTruck
United States of America

Post by 65MercTruck »

Just came across this thread while searching the forums...

I'm currently in the process of removing the front fenders and core support (65 M100) to begin major body work. ALL of my fender bolts are rusted solid. I've broken a few and will use my torch to remove the rest. What a pain in the...

My question is: Where have you all gotten your replacement fender bolts from? Hardware store? Or is there a decent online F100 source? I don't need a 'stainless' kit, but it sure would be slick if there were a nut and bolt kit available.

If I can get one off intact, I'll bring it down to my local hardware store to match it. I suppose that's my answer, but I figured I'd ask...

Thanks!
1965 Mercury M100
shorty style-side
351W 4spd w/ frnt disc
Dana 44 rear w/ trac-loc
Built in Oakville, Ontario
65MercTruck
United States of America

Post by 65MercTruck »

cwindsor wrote:I have a question about fender bolts...

I ordered a Totally Stainless kit which includes all the bolts for the body.

When I took my fenders off I had to cut the head of the bolts to get them off the car. (the clip on bolt stripped out the fender)

What should I do in this case to bolt the fenders back to the cab?

Also the Rubber pads that the Radiator support sits on are bad... Any ideas?

Where'd ya get the bolts?
1965 Mercury M100
shorty style-side
351W 4spd w/ frnt disc
Dana 44 rear w/ trac-loc
castruck_1964
Canada

Post by castruck_1964 »

The company is called totally stainless they do nut and bolt kits for many applications.
you can purchase anything from bolts for a specific part of your truck to a whole kit and in various head styles I used a kit for cas and I purchased a second kit for my latest project very complete and worth the money :2cents:
Slicks rule
dd/ 19 F150,97 Tbird
62 swb bbw uni next project
460 C6

Ken
65MercTruck
United States of America

Post by 65MercTruck »

castruck_1964 wrote:The company is called totally stainless they do nut and bolt kits for many applications.
you can purchase anything from bolts for a specific part of your truck to a whole kit and in various head styles I used a kit for cas and I purchased a second kit for my latest project very complete and worth the money :2cents:

Excellent. Thanks for the info!

http://www.totallystainless.com/

1965-1966:
INDENTED HEX HEAD 6-6296 309.20

The kit does the entire truck! I'm impressed!
1965 Mercury M100
shorty style-side
351W 4spd w/ frnt disc
Dana 44 rear w/ trac-loc
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

I know how nice stainless stuff is because I have seen Ken's truck.
Very nicely done I must say. AUVECO makes the 5/16 x 18 body bolts that work well to put our trucks together. They also have the clip nuts,
Notice I did not say encapsulated nuts. These clip nuts will slide in where the old encapsulated nuts come out and will work great to assemble your fenders and frontend pieces. They are available at most places where fasteners are sold. They are available in boxes of 25 and possibly more but I didn't check when I bought mine. I would suggest that you use a bit of Anti-seize on your bolts when you put them in. You may never have to take your truck apart again, but if you do it will make it a lot easier. TR
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

I just saw Mac's add on Evilbay for the bolts in black as original. Sold by the dozen I think. I've bought the other cadmium plated bolts and used those, but quality of the bolts is not up to my expectations. Material is softer , which may or may not matter to some. Personally, I don't like things that strip out easily. However, there are so damn many bolts on the fenders of these trucks, there is no way that a fender will ever fall off. I prefer using nuts and washers to the clip nuts for ease of removal.

Rich