frame swap

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Nick 66

frame swap

Post by Nick 66 »

Hi I'm Nick, I am 16 years old, and I just got my farmers license, and my dad and I are very interested in '64 to '66 f-100's, and we have a couple of '66 f-100's hoping to make one out of them. This is my very first post. I am aware that a '66 cab will fit on a '73 to '79 frame, then I am wondering how hard it is to put a '64 cab on a '73 to '79 frame?
banjopicker66

Re: frame swap

Post by banjopicker66 »

Nick:
You have 2 major issues in your question.
#1. Nothing is impossible if you throw enough time, money and dedication to it, so a '64 cab on a '73 frame is technically possible, but it is definitely not easy, nor is it a bolt-up solution. In '65, Ford introduced the Twin I-beams, which means they changed everything under the outer skin. Very little interchanges. THe frame perches for the ca must be replaced and relocated You would be well advised to to discard the idea of putting a '64 cab on a later frame.
#2. Swapping the body means you will have a '60s body on a '70s frame. Which title will you use for both registration and insurance? Some states have no issues, but titling it in another state if you move or sell it will be a major problem for many states.
As to insurance, make sure that they are insuring the correct VIN, because they may disallow insurance on a '60s body if the frame is actually from the '70s. Failing to check this can mean a very nasty surprise if you have an accident and the insurance company declares the policy to be invalid because of a body-frame-VIN mismatch.

I have had my '66 for 30 years, and have made many upgrades such as power disc brakes, larger rear brakes, power steering, not to mention a 460 and an automatic transmission, and it was almost entirely bolt up, with about the same amount of work it would have taken to swap the cab.

Best of luck to you, and don't hesitate to ask more questions!
Last edited by banjopicker66 on February 9, 2012, 8:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bill W

Post by Bill W »

no way to bolt the front cab mounts down and the steering column exits the firewall in the wrong place.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Bill W wrote:no way to bolt the front cab mounts down and the steering column exits the firewall in the wrong place.

not exactly true

you have to move the cab mounts on the frame and cut a new hole for the column and make a cover for the old one, then also cut up into the dash so the steering wheel clears your legs although i did a 4x4 and im not sure if 2wd has the same problem.
either way it was a lot of work and i would not do it again

1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
R Pope

Post by R Pope »

Nothing wrong with the '64 suspension. A disc brake swap and PS off a 4x4 will modernize it if that's your thing. Too many first projects are way too ambitious and end up being towed out to the back 40 and abandoned, don't bite off more that you can chew.
Nick 66

Post by Nick 66 »

I want to thank-you guys for the important information that you gave to me. It was really helpful to know what I need to do to put a "64 cab on a "73 to "79 frame.