Bucket seats and stuff

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

LightningGear100
United States of America

Bucket seats and stuff

Post by LightningGear100 »

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to do up a custom interior for my truck and want to install bucket seats...I'm going to turn my truck into a modern performance truck...but keep it as a daily driver probably sounds crazy but aren't we all...at least a little!!! anyways I know a guy who used seats from a 90 mustang..but i have no idea on what kind of seat brackets I would need...also I have a 69 FE 390 in the truck...I'm wanting to put a floor mount transmission in there...it would be awesome to be retro with a 4 on the floor...but I'm thinking for fuel saving purposes to go with a 5 spd...or maybe even six!!!
Bill W

Re: Bucket seats and stuff

Post by Bill W »

65 was the first year for the "ranger" package, it could be orderd from ford with early mustang bucket seats and a falcon sprint console carpet on the floor and to cover the gas tank.

there are 2 members who reproduce the seat brackets.... myself and slickcollector, they will let you bolt in 65-70 mustang buckets.

one member who bought a set from me did a little modifying to put other bucket seats on the brackets, i cant remember what seats he used but said it was easy.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I'm rather certain Bill's brackets will work well. I can't locate my 90's Hollander to verify it; maybe someone else has access to one. I've previously posted the early seat dimensions, as have others. I can verify the foxbody mounting dimensions on the next trip to my shop, if needed.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

The inner bracket on both seats (closest to the transmission tunnel) isn't drilled on the floorpan anyway, so unless your slick has had bucket seats before you will have some play with where exactly you want to position the inner bracket, so different seats shoouldnt be a problem unless they were ultra wide. I've just done this mod but with 65-67 seats and it was easy easy easy easy.

The outer brackets in the pic bolt up to the existing bench locations, just be aware the inner brackets will need a nut under the floor to keep them captive whereas the outer brackets have threaded bolt holes.
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Any time you are anchoring a seat/seatbelts to a location that was not originally intended to anchor them (ie: unreinforced by the manufacturer), it would be wise to either fabricate or purchase something similar to these, sold by Juliano's.....

http://www.julianos.com/anchor_plate.html

If the price deters you, they would be easy enough to make out of a piece of tubing.......

James

Leeroy wrote:The inner bracket on both seats (closest to the transmission tunnel) isn't drilled on the floorpan anyway, so unless your slick has had bucket seats before you will have some play with where exactly you want to position the inner bracket, so different seats shoouldnt be a problem unless they were ultra wide. I've just done this mod but with 65-67 seats and it was easy easy easy easy.

The outer brackets in the pic bolt up to the existing bench locations, just be aware the inner brackets will need a nut under the floor to keep them captive whereas the outer brackets have threaded bolt holes.
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

jamesdfo wrote: it would be wise to either fabricate or purchase something similar to these, sold by Juliano's.....

That is an EXCELLENT idea, I will look into that. Thanks for sharing that link.
William-in-St George

Post by William-in-St George »

As for the transmission: There was an article in the technical section over on FTE that detailed the installation of a 5 speed trans in a slick. Seemed fairly straight forward. I'd go look over there for info on the install. Ford produced many trucks with the FE engine 352,360,390, and standard transmissions. Personally I only do C6 so I can't be much help.
William-in-St. George
TXSlick
United States of America

Post by TXSlick »

The 90's Fox Mustang seats bolt into early Mustangs just fine, so they should work with the Ranger bucket seat brackets.
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

Bill W wrote:one member who bought a set from me did a little modifying to put other bucket seats on the brackets, i cant remember what seats he used but said it was easy.

I bought some and elongated the seat holes a bit and mounted a set of 65 T-bird seats. No pictures of them mounted, Truck is in Body work right now . Have pictures of the seats in Photobucket Link below.

Danny
Last edited by Hunter's 64 on February 14, 2012, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

jamesdfo wrote:Any time you are anchoring a seat/seatbelts to a location that was not originally intended to anchor them (ie: unreinforced by the manufacturer), it would be wise to either fabricate or purchase something similar to these, sold by Juliano's.....

If the price deters you, they would be easy enough to make out of a piece of tubing.......

James

Leeroy wrote:The inner bracket on both seats (closest to the transmission tunnel) isn't drilled on the floorpan anyway, so unless your slick has had bucket seats before you will have some play with where exactly you want to position the inner bracket, so different seats shoouldnt be a problem unless they were ultra wide. I've just done this mod but with 65-67 seats and it was easy easy easy easy.

make them out of 2" square piece of 1/4" steel plate with a hole drilled thru and a lock nut welded on.

Leeroy i love your interior and those floor mats
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Since what kyou are saying is that you want modern buckets , I thought someone should tellyou taht tall back buckets don't work well in these trucks. I had to take the Mercury mountainer seats apart and heat and bend the metal back to be able to use these seats. Still not quite right, but pretty good. Frankly the Mustang seats are really a very good choice as seat uhpolstry is reasonable and foam replacement is also easy to get.

Rich
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

What Rich said!
I've got Ram seats in one of mine; very comfortable, gi-normus console with third seating area. Problem is; if I intend to have a rear window, the headrests are out of question. The seats accomodate my six foot (fat) frame quite well,(gas tank relocated), but my son can't stand the upright seating position. And, yes, I am aware of the answer to that :lol:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
LightningGear100
United States of America

Thanks everyone for all your help! Once I get some dollars up I am gonna be placin orders sounds like the old mustang buckets will be right down my alley!
LightningGear100
United States of America

Bill,

How much do you charge for the seats?
Bill W

Post by Bill W »

PM Sent.

also they are in the "for sale" section
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

I put tmi headrests on those seats pictured above, they are adjustable but even with the headrest adjusted all the way forward the seat still rests on the back window a little.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:
jamesdfo wrote:Any time you are anchoring a seat/seatbelts to a location that was not originally intended to anchor them (ie: unreinforced by the manufacturer), it would be wise to either fabricate or purchase something similar to these, sold by Juliano's.....

James

make them out of 2" square piece of 1/4" steel plate with a hole drilled thru and a lock nut welded on.

Leeroy i love your interior and those floor mats

make sur to round the corners, other wise they can just tear through the floor under pressure!...................just saying!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

dOne thing I had forgotten to mention, was in regards to the 5 speed transmission behind the 390. The T% mustang transmission is not a real strong transmission, and you need to be aware that not all are the same in regards to torque ratings. You engine is rated around 300 hp in stock form, and I don't remmember the torque rating. The best T% in stock form is only rated for 320 ft.lbs. of torque if I remmember right. In adddition, The cost of converting is also a factor. There are adapters for earlier mustangs to T5 transmissions, and I think this might swork with a truck bell housing, but not positive. These run aobut 125$ and may or may not work. Worht checking into.

Rich
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Hunter's 64 wrote: I bought some and elongated the seat holes a bit and mounted a set of 65 T-bird seats. No pictures of them mounted, Truck is in Body work right now . Have pictures of the seats in Photobucket Link below.

Hunter, that should look nice. Have you mocked them up in the cab to see if the seat back angle and the height of the seat bottoms is going to work for you?
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

Yep, I have removed my in cab gas tank for a little extra room, and their are stops on the bottom of the seat backs the adjust how much they recline.

Danny