Moates quarterhorse chips?????

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

kstones63
United States of America

Moates quarterhorse chips?????

Post by kstones63 »

PFM gave me their website to look at for chips for my 4.6.
Has anybody used their chips and how hard are they to program?
I looked at the instructions for programming it and when I got
finished, my head was spinning when they got started talking about .bin files and a bunch of other stuff that I don't have a clue what it is.
I want a good programmable chip for mine because I need to turn off the egr, the vacuum canister and get more power out of it but I want simple.
Maybe I am asking for too much?????????? :? :? :?

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Re: Moates quarterhorse chips?????

Post by ezernut9mm »

why not go with a handheld programmer?
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

ezernut9mm wrote:why not go with a handheld programmer?

This system use OBD1. I have been under the impression that the programmers won't work on OBD1. I could be wrong, so if anybody knows if they will work, please let me know.

Kevin
kstones63
bcook07
United States of America

Post by bcook07 »

The quarterhorse is an excellent programming system. It does have a steep learning curve.

A bin is the file (the file extension is .bin) for the program you are going to load into the computer. if you go to their downloads page you can download the stock bin files for different pcms. you can upload these files into binary editor(required for programming) and edit the program. you then upload the modified program into the quarterhorse.

Here is the link to the file page
http://www.moates.net/info_pages.php/pages_id/14

Did you buy Binary editor and EEC analyzer? You use the analyzer to pull the stock program from the pcm. You edit it with Binary editor and then can put the modified program into the pcm.

http://www.moates.net/binary-editor-2012-p-213.html?cPath=63

What all are you wanting to change about the stock programing of the pcm?
1962 Ford Unibody SWB
1953 Ford F100
1967 Ford Mustang
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

Moates is a good brand.
I use tunerpro RT for datalogging my Firebird which helps a lot when sensors go bad. I haven't used it to edit bins yet. It supports a lot of the Moates hardware. For datalogging, it is awesome. I haven't used it for tuning but many people do and say it is great. And the price is right, FREE.
You can plug your laptop into the ecm and see anything that the ecm sees in real time. It's cool.
http://tunerpro.net/
In the downloads section, they do have bin definition files for some 4.6 Ford applications.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I haven't purchased anything yet, even the binary editor. PFM's 65 had reccomended the Moates and I was doing some research on it when my head started spinning. I saw that they have several differnet binary editors that may work with their programs.
I guess my main questions is if the programs are self explanatory enough to figure out what I need to do and how to program it?
What I am looking for is is of course to get some more power out of the engine. I need to turn off the EGR valve. I was planning on leaving it so I didn't have to change anything at first but it was touching the firewall and I needed to move the engine back another 3/4" so that meant it needed to go away. I also am not using the purge tank canister so it needs to be turned off.
Do these programs tell me "this is how you turn these things off" or do I need to know what .bin file that they are in to go in and modify them?

Kevin
kstones63
charliemccraney

There will be a learning curve but it will be no different than learning how to tune a carb or distributor - you weren't born knowing how to do it. Really the only thing that is different is the tool you use. The best thing you can do is to find a forum with people who tune 4.6s to ask questions.

I'm also on the thirdgen.org forum and they have a great diy PROM section and while I have not yet ventured into tuning, they have been helpful with any questions about the data I see while datalogging and understanding just what that data means. You will need something like that, but for Ford products.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I will have to post this question over on the modularfords website. The only problem with that is that it is sometimes hard to get people to respond to any questions. That is why I try here first because people will help.

Kevin
kstones63
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i read the title thinking you were looking for some type of horsefeed. seriously.

computers dont belong in trucks. ss_pokes2.gif
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
STOFFER
United States of America

Post by STOFFER »

kstones63 wrote:I will have to post this question over on the modularfords website. The only problem with that is that it is sometimes hard to get people to respond to any questions. That is why I try here first because people will help.

Kevin

honestly, look for a site like Lightning Rodder, lots of fellers there use the Moates on thier Gen1 Lightnings and can help you out a bit

there's also people who do the tunes for the Moates so you don't do something silly and bring harm to the motor

I miss my slicks
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Iceman, I see where you could think that I was looking for horsefeed but trust I don't want anything to do with hay burners. I have enough headaches keeping up with all my vehicles as it is.
As far as a computer in these old trucks, sometimes I would agree with you on that, but remember that I have done stupider things than that in the past. :lol: :?

Stoffer, I have thought about having someone do a chip for me, but if I can learn it, I would want to do it myself just for the education. I have been known to jump into things that are over my head. I don't want to spend the money for the programs and the chips and then have to pay somebody to make it for me because I can't figure it out.

Kevin
kstones63
charliemccraney

You will have the best results if you tune it yourself. A custom ordered chip will be good but nothing will beat what you can do with it if you take the time to learn about it. Just like tuning a carburetor, the only way to get it dead on is to tweak, then test, then tweak, then test until it is right. The reason is tolerances. No matter how hard you try, no two vehicles will be exactly the same. Therefore the requirements are different.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Might ask Eric Brooks at ModFords for his opinion, or ask him for Jerry Wroblewski"s email addy. I haven't heard anything from/about Jerry for some time, but he's the best in the business IMO.
It's definitely a learning curve on the OBDI, but certainly do-able. The old EEC tuner forum people might be of help, also.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
bcook07
United States of America

Post by bcook07 »

I think you will be much happier with a moates and binary editor/eec analyzer than an off the shelf chip. One big thing to remember is if you start messing with stuff like timing and air/fuel ratio dont get in a big hurry and start making big changes. To learn I would get a stock bin file saved as a back up, then make a second copy of that file and start messing with it slowly. It will take time. If you dont like what you end up with throw the stock tune back in and start again.

And if you decide that you cant handle it later, I bet there are a ton of shops in your area that can take your truck and that quaterhorse and put in a tune for you fairly cheap.
1962 Ford Unibody SWB
1953 Ford F100
1967 Ford Mustang
PFM-64f100

Post by PFM-64f100 »

Hopefully this will help some. My heads still spins if I think too hard about all the options for EFI but it would do the same thing with carbs..

The way I see it you have 3 options.

1. Buy the Quarter horse and tune it yourself. There is a learning curve but since your keeping to stock values (for now) and just killing the EGR & vacuum canister you can do this easy enough (uncheck and option then save/upload). The tuner pro software is free and I found it easy just to do small changes like turning stuff off that wasn't needed (I know that software can do more but I never spent the time to figure it out, I am a beginner with EFI).

For the power increase you will need to get deeper into the programing and analyze data logs. I'm not for sure if the Tuner pro allows data logging/play back but it's been a while since I looked. I highly recommend the Binary Editor software http://www.eecanalyzer.net/product_info/binary_editor.html it does everything and is simple. I really like the dashboard to view your engine real time. :) they have the EEC analyzer for data play back. There is a cost but after using EEC Editor I would suggest paying for the software (IMHO don't get EEC Editor Software from Paul Booth).

Good thing is if you want (with QH already installed) you can still go with option #2 and have a pro get the HP out you want.

2. Buy the Quarter horse and pay a shop to do your tune. There are a lot of professionals that will send you a tune file and then you send logs to them to analyze and make it work. Once you get those files you upload them to your QH and off you go. Most of the shops do like using Binary Editor as it is the best software out there, but not a requirement talk with the different shops.

This link will get you a list of professionals to start with. http://eectuning.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16907&p=105104&hilit=professional#p105104

The EECtuning.org forum will give you a lot more information (it does help keep your head spinning but is useful). Some of the information you take with a grain of salt as it applies to blown and race engines. :)

3. Buy a tuned chip from some other place. It is a good option but when you want changes to it normally you have to pull the chip send it back for a new tune. Of course the new tune/programming will cost. You normally don’t have data logging with this option.

I do think the QH is a very good option plus it gives you more control when you’re ready. The data logs are a very valuable tool one that takes out a lot of guess work.

It does look like there are a few of us here the like the EFI route. I know not standard but hey it’s our trucks. 
64 F100 short bed-style side-460-c6-with side toolbox and Dakota Front Suspension
And a 65 CrewCab

Chris W.

The pickups
65 Crew Cab
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/CrewCab/index.html
64 F100
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1964- ... index.html
The Torino project http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1971- ... eFile.html
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Holy Mackeral there Saffire, ya done lost me there down by the lodge hall.
I want to eventually convert a couple of my engines to EFI, but all this stuff you guys are talking got me lost faster 'n trying to do chinese arithmatic!!!
PFM said he would help me with mine when he gets his dialed in and he will know a lot more about it.I said "fair enough" and left it at that. He is pretty sharp with this stuff, but we have all jumped in to things at one time or another that seamed insurmountable until we learned how to navigate it. Once you get a look at it from someone who has been there, done that, it begins to make sense. I too will cross that bridge when it comes up, but with help. No way would I be going it alone. Way too much to grasp. TR
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Toyz wrote:Might ask Eric Brooks at ModFords for his opinion, or ask him for Jerry Wroblewski"s email addy. I haven't heard anything from/about Jerry for some time, but he's the best in the business IMO.
It's definitely a learning curve on the OBDI, but certainly do-able. The old EEC tuner forum people might be of help, also.
Paul

I talked to Eric and his software isn't compatible with my PCM, just my luck. He gave me a referral. I haven't given up on the Moates yet but I'm not sure that I want to learn that much at this time. I just need to get something in here so I can get this truck done. Once I get it running I probably won't ever mess with the programming at all.

Truckrat, at least PFM is close enough to you that he can help you with that. If I had someone close that understood it, I might go that way with a chip. And I don't understand chinese math either. :lol:

Kevin
kstones63
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

If Eric's referral doesn't work out, you might email XLR8 (Tommy) on the MK VIII forum, (assuming he's not the referral). He may be able to help. I probably have a compatible modded PCM around the shop, but won't be back until the end of the month. If you feel like spending some coin on a good user-friendly system, I heartily recommend the WMS/SDS system. Might take a glance at the Western Motorsport website. I use an early EM4 on one of my SVO's and will utilize an EM5 on my Gen I (EECV) Mk VIII slick after I play with my current Diablo set-up. I like being able to make changes on the fly without a laptop. If it's dependable enough for aircraft, it'll suit my needs. I can currently do my basic OBDII data logging via Android/ Bluetooth, but will eventually go with the SDS stand-alone on the
modular Slick.

Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
decipha

Post by decipha »

I know this is an older thread but I didn't see the quarterhose mentioned in any other parts of the forum

The ford ecu's are pretty simple once you understand how they function

Here's a good link with base tunes you can download, just follow the instructions and read the write ups and you'll be set, doesn't get any easier than that

http://www.efidynotuning.com