What have you done to your slick today??

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

therealjoeshmoe

Re: What have you done to your slick today??

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

Toyz wrote:Self-adjuster is backwards!
JK !!!!!!
Paul

ha ha very funny :cussing:
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

Yesterday I flat land towed my truck home... Its been out at the acerage for a long time. I have just been working on pieces at home. Feels good to get it all in one place. Maybe it will be done for SS 2024.

LoL

Nic
Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

I finally bolted the exhaust manifold on and put the exhaust pipe back on. Sounds good and fairly quiet. I could go as far as putting in a radio now!
1965 F100 "Papaw's Pride"

"So I'm working on a cistern inlet valve and the guy hands me a lock nut wrench! I was like 'What is this, a drainpipe slipknot!'" -Flo
Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

Today I did a good bit. Some good and some bad. I got the glass all clean and now the rest of the truck looks even dirtier. I got the new shocks on the rear. Took it out for about a 15 mile spin, some back roads, some state route and some interstate. It rides a lot better and the tail end doesn't wiggle so much now! It does wander a little in the front, must be because of the 270/60/15 I have on it. I have a set of Crager S/S wheels with 235/75/15 that I think will fix the problem.

I couldn't just let good be good though. I had to play with the lighting issue that I've been dealing with.

WARNING: PUT THE TRUCK IN NEUTRAL BEFORE TURNING THE KEY. :idea:

I turned the key on, BUT turned it too far. Next thing I know the right headlight crushes, the 4X4 Ranger on ramps (with the tranny hanging out of it) goes forward and off of the ramps, and I almost vomit at what I just did. :cussing:

DAMAGE: Headlight bulb obliterated, Nice headlight housing crushed. tailgate on the Ranger has a fresh new dent along the top edge since it was left down as a work bench.

Moral of this: PAY ATTENTION OR PUT YOUR TOOLS BACK IN THE BOX.

"So I'm working on a cistern inlet valve and the guy hands me a lock nut wrench! I was like 'What is this, a drainpipe slipknot!'" -Flo
rw66f100
United States of America

Post by rw66f100 »

Installed steering column, firewall insulator, brake/clutch pedals, new glove box and heater. Feels great to finally be putting the 66 back together.
Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

Welcome to the club! This thread has proven very motivational. Keep us posted and enjoy.

milomilo
United States of America

Post by milomilo »

I put in a new reman points type dizzy on the 390 today. Got the dwell set at 30.1. Initially set the timing at 8 btdc, then found the vacuum advance was bumping up the timing. Idled fine but ran like crap backfiring at any type of acceleration. I had thought the Motorcraft 2300 carb was a ported type, but seems that was not the case. Tomorrow resetting the timing with the carb port plugged.
Chris

64 F100 4X4 Styleside Wrong Bed
on a 74 chassis, 390, C6
A work in progress
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Ah, someone who actually uses a dwell meter! Your vacuum advance does receive ported (above the throttle blades) vacuum; depending on the particular distributor, it may see from 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches of mercury at 600 rpm.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
milomilo
United States of America

Post by milomilo »

Toyz wrote:Ah, someone who actually uses a dwell meter! Your vacuum advance does receive ported (above the throttle blades) vacuum; depending on the particular distributor, it may see from 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches of mercury at 600 rpm.
Paul

I set my points by setting the dwell, not the point gap. Learned that more than 40 years ago. Had an electronic Acell dizzy that the diaphram leaked, so off it came and back to points. Maybe not the most modern system, but they are easy to tune up. Thanks for the carb info Paul.
Chris

64 F100 4X4 Styleside Wrong Bed
on a 74 chassis, 390, C6
A work in progress
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

my 66 has just been sitting lately or really short trips. still haven't figured out the vibration, but me thinks it's from the PO who took out a few leafs in the back and cut the coils in the front but didn't do anything to the drive shaft. I think it's out of balance or too short/long. i think 2015 I'll put some more money into it and do it right. better suspension, brakes, steering.
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
rbeck204
United States of America

Post by rbeck204 »

Slickmainer,
You might just need angled shims in the rear springs to correct the pinion angle. Summit sells them.
Rich
61 T Bird Convertible
1953 Ford Customline 2 door
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

milomilo wrote:I set my points by setting the dwell, not the point gap.

the gap is supposed to be a guide for the initial setting, the dwell is the important setting. generally i look to set at the high end (30) as when the points start to close up some after use they will stay within the 24-30 scale for longer.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Hookedtrout

Post by Hookedtrout »

Here's some of my latest work on the 62. Man I love extruded U Nuts!

Cory

1962 F100 SWB Unibody, 223
1931 Ford 5 window coupe
1968 GT/California Special Mustang, 289
Complete 61 LWB Unibody parts truck with 292 Y Block
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Pulled engine. Has a slight miss.

Chris
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

Yeah, I'd bet it developed a drop in oil pressure about the same time as the miss showed up....... bummer, Dude.

BarnieTrk
born4ford
United States of America

Post by born4ford »

Not today but over the past week - Hoisted my cab and bed up with the bucket of the tractor, etch-primed then acrylic primed. Welded 18 various holes closed in the body. Patched with Rage Gold now I am sanding, sanding and sanding some more. This weekend I would like to be at the point of priming all the body work. I can't remember what my garage looked like before I blew up a truck in there, LOL.

Julie
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Washed mine last night to ensure it rained. It did. :D
Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

In the last two weeks: Put on the S/S Cragers with 235/75/15s. Better than the 275/60/15s (free to anyone who come to get them!). Pulled the headliner and associated rats nests out of the cab, replaced the rusted out, broken west coast mirrors for the standard small round ones. Yesterday it got a new ignition switch and today points and condenser. I sure do love this old beast!

orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

chris401 wrote:Pulled engine. Has a slight miss.

Ventilation hole!
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Mellvis wrote:In the last two weeks: Put on the S/S Cragers with 235/75/15s. Better than the 275/60/15s (free to anyone who come to get them!). Pulled the headliner and associated rats nests out of the cab, replaced the rusted out, broken west coast mirrors for the standard small round ones. Yesterday it got a new ignition switch and today points and condenser. I sure do love this old beast!

Need to see some pics of your Slick with the Cragers.

Had a set on my 67 Fastback when I was in high school and again on my 68 Fastback. Really like the old school look of them. Anyone know of a good source for them?