What have you done to your slick today??

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

chris401
United States of America

Re: What have you done to your slick today??

Post by chris401 »

orangeRcode wrote:
chris401 wrote:Pulled engine. Has a slight miss.

Ventilation hole!
Yeah, happened last year. Recently able where I can get out and work with help. I have been starting it and moving it around under its own power.
Chris
Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

AS requested!

Edited because the picture didn't work. I'll have to get Momma to do it tonight.
1965 F100 "Papaw's Pride"

"So I'm working on a cistern inlet valve and the guy hands me a lock nut wrench! I was like 'What is this, a drainpipe slipknot!'" -Flo
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

chris401 wrote:
orangeRcode wrote:
chris401 wrote:Pulled engine. Has a slight miss.

Ventilation hole!
Yeah, happened last year. Recently able where I can get out and work with help. I have been starting it and moving it around under its own power.
Finally tore it down. Salvaged five rods.
Image Replacement 352 underway.Image
Chris
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Back on the road. Edelbrock SP2P on the 352 should get some decent mileage. After I plumb in the cockpit oil preasure gauge and get it registered it will be done. The factory air cleaner does not fit the Rochester, it will go on when I am finished with the 390 cfm 4v Holley. May even trim a foot off the vacuum line.
Chris
f25065
United States of America

Post by f25065 »

Ok I know...Old topic, but still fun... so, the only thing I don't care for in the '65s & '66s over the '61s-'64s was the change from the cable-operated air vents to the reach-down style air vents; particularly on the passenger side... WAY out of reach. I was able to acquire a set of the old style vents with the cables and with a little fabrication, was able to fit them properly. Of course, the passenger side cable in it's proper location was still out of reach, so I came up with the idea of acquiring a second set of '65/'66 deluxe heater cables with the under-dash bracket, and if the bracket is mounted on the dash above the accelerator, the temp cable is a good length to run across to the RH vent and the vent can now be operated as easily as the LH vent. I even found a matching dash bezel that says "RIGHT AIR". Then, just find something to put in the other side of the bracket; I used a cargo light switch. Sometimes its the little details that make your days.

http://s788.photobucket.com/user/f25065 ... sort=3&o=3

Norm
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

f25065 wrote:Ok I know...Old topic, but still fun... so, the only thing I don't care for in the '65s & '66s over the '61s-'64s was the change from the cable-operated air vents to the reach-down style air vents; particularly on the passenger side... WAY out of reach. I was able to acquire a set of the old style vents with the cables and with a little fabrication, was able to fit them properly. Of course, the passenger side cable in it's proper location was still out of reach, so I came up with the idea of acquiring a second set of '65/'66 deluxe heater cables with the under-dash bracket, and if the bracket is mounted on the dash above the accelerator, the temp cable is a good length to run across to the RH vent and the vent can now be operated as easily as the LH vent. I even found a matching dash bezel that says "RIGHT AIR". Then, just find something to put in the other side of the bracket; I used a cargo light switch. Sometimes its the little details that make your days.

http://s788.photobucket.com/user/f25065 ... sort=3&o=3

Norm
Did your truck come with the underdash heater switches?
Chris
f25065
United States of America

Post by f25065 »

Originally, no... it just had the basic heater where you reached underneath to the heater box to turn the defrost on and off. I got a deluxe heater box with all the control cables and installed it some time ago. I got a second set of deluxe heater controls from a parts guy recently in Sacramento for the one long cable and bracket.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Can you add deluxe heater controls to a standard heater box?
Chris
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Norm Now that's an idea worth stealing, did you get the right air bezel from Robert in Sacramento?
Have you been to his new location?
Thanks for the inspiration.
John
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Absolutely nothing.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

Scheming as to which way I am going to swap out the once great working new generator for a new FORD alternator. Want to keep the idiot light. And I really don't want a GM alt on there this time. I have a one wire gm on my other and willing to try something else. Thinking Mummert has the best bracket setup. but not the cheapest.
forgot to mention-292 yblock of course.
f25065
United States of America

Post by f25065 »

Chris; Seems like you could add a temp control cable if you changed out the valve under the hood but for the DEF to control via cable, you'd need the deluxe box... no way to swing the DEF lever on a standard heater box via cable, I don't think. Swapping out the box isn't too big a deal though.

John; I got the second set of controls from Robert up there... actually paid about the same for the two cables and bracket than I did for the stupid bezel on evilBay. Pretty rare tho I guess... I've personally never seen one before or since. I haven't been up there but have the invite from the man... I definitely want to go check it out.
f25065
United States of America

Post by f25065 »

This is the "new" controls. Just kinda playing, learning how to post pics.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

f25065 wrote:Chris; Seems like you could add a temp control cable if you changed out the valve under the hood but for the DEF to control via cable, you'd need the deluxe box... no way to swing the DEF lever on a standard heater box via cable, I don't think. Swapping out the box isn't too big a deal though.
I was not aware there were OEM controls for slicks. I plan on making my heater box and underdash AC one box and those OEM controls would be perfect.
Chris
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

not today but did this last weekend... Warriors Path State Park Tennessee... had almost 200 trick or treaters Friday night...

Image Image

Image Image
f25065
United States of America

Post by f25065 »

Anthony... I like your rig! The vintage camper is really cool.

Norm
Walking W
United States of America

Post by Walking W »

I am with Norm, but I Love your camper!! I have been searching for one since I seen yours. It has made me change my mind on shorting and riding my ranger. Now just the camper and 4x4 is the route I am going. Thank you! You have saved me tons of work.
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

thanks guys.. I built her for this purpose.. and Norm.. the vent cable idea is great.. after installing an old under dash unit for A/C in the cab under the glove box, there is no way I can get to that vent... keep an eye on CL for those old campers Walking W, they are out there.. it will be up around Detroit next June... that will be one of many next year I hope.. we will be back at Warriors Path TN in October.. hope to do at least 5 of these long week end trips..