What have you done to your slick today??

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Re: What have you done to your slick today??

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Hey, I actually have something to report today. In order to make room in the four-car (two deep) carport for my wife's newly acquired Baby Benz, I needed to move Little Red. I had had a problem with the choke/idle back in August, but with moving and the demo of the shop interior it had taken a back burner.
Took off the carb, found that the little "C" clip that holds the choke plate on had fallen off (?). So managed to find a suitable replacement at O'Reilly and I was back in business. For once my NAPA buds let me down, but this is a new store to me due the move.
Chokes, starts, runs and even idles. If it cools off this weekend (Hahahahaha) I may get to drive her a little this weekend. Hey, the low tomorrow is supposed to be 78.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Brians1966
United States of America

Post by Brians1966 »

Put the Slick away for the winter- :( , cant wait for spring :rocker: hurrah.gif to get her out again
1966 F-100 LONG BED, 240cid 3 speed red and white, Red and White Interior with a Mossy Oak Seat Cover
2013 Ford F150 STX Supercab 5.0 litre

DETERMINATION: The feeling you get right before you try to do something incredibly stupid!

CONFIDENCE: Is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation!
Gary Seymour
United States of America

Post by Gary Seymour »

I installed all the piston/rod assemblies, timing chain/gears, fuel pump cam and the crank oil slinger in the 351C.
jefflovesf250s

Post by jefflovesf250s »

Completed the Inline Tube SS brake line installation on my '66 F250, upgraded to a '67 F250 dual reservoir Master Cylinder. Mounted the '67 brass brake distribution block, connected all the lines (driver & passenger side fronts & feeder line to rear hose), & installed brake lite warning switch. Used brake fluid resistant teflon tape on all tube nuts. Fuel line mods & install next. Jeff
s281scsaleen

Post by s281scsaleen »

Trying to decide to keep 03 CVPI floor and firewall or us 65 floor and firewall on a full frame swap
GJ1963

Post by GJ1963 »

Yesterday I added a thermostatic fan clutch and corresponding fan blade to the 300 in my '65. I have been concerned about it not getting warm enough. Today I pulled the thermostat that I had put in last year. I forgot what temp it was. It is a 195. I tested it in a pan of water and it opened right at 195. So I reassembled. Also fit the battery hold down correctly that has always been loose. Finally replaced the speedo glass with new one I got from Rich here. Thanks again!
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

GJ1963 wrote:Yesterday I added a thermostatic fan clutch and corresponding fan blade to the 300 in my '65. I have been concerned about it not getting warm enough. Today I pulled the thermostat that I had put in last year. I forgot what temp it was. It is a 195. I tested it in a pan of water and it opened right at 195. So I reassembled. Also fit the battery hold down correctly that has always been loose. Finally replaced the speedo glass with new one I got from Rich here. Thanks again!

GJ1963,

195*F stat is NOT stock for your 300, is it?

Are you using a fan shroud with your new fan & clutch combo?

BarnieTrk
GJ1963

Post by GJ1963 »

BarnieTrk wrote:
GJ1963 wrote:GJ1963,

195*F stat is NOT stock for your 300, is it?

Are you using a fan shroud with your new fan & clutch combo?

BarnieTrk

Last year this time, the engine would never warm up. I went to replace the thermostat and it was missing. Thinking about it I seem to remember that I had bought a 195 assuming I would find a 180 and it was overcooling with that thermostat. Still the engine was never seeming to get to full temp. 170 indicated on the stock gauge, plus the oil turning to mayonnaise in the valve cover. It is not leaking internally - water level stays consistent. Right now it will warm up, and get to show an indicated 195 or so, then the thermostat opens and I see a sharp drop in temp, then it seems to hover around 170 as long as I drive it. I know the engine is rather tired. I was planning to rebuild it this last summer, but ended up building an engine for one of my other cars instead. I am not running a fan shroud yet... Radiator in this is out of I think a '62? When I got this truck it had sat for 30+ years and its radiator had long been stolen. I bought one from a junkyard. Open to thoughts and suggestions.....
lucky23

Post by lucky23 »

Was planning on starting my rear end swap today, but it's too damn cold!
1966 F250/352/cruiseomatic tranny/Dana 60 4.10
lucky23

Post by lucky23 »

Actually, been having oil pressure issues with my f250. Been showing 10psi at start up and 0psi when warm. Replaced the oil sending unit today and lo and behold! Almost 40psi! Sometimes it's the small things(:
1966 F250/352/cruiseomatic tranny/Dana 60 4.10
Gary Seymour
United States of America

Post by Gary Seymour »

Put it an ebay offer for $85 on a crankshaft and water pump pulley set. I hope I get them because they seem to be a little bit hard to find for a 351C. I am missing a water pump pulley and the crank pulley I have is a 3 groover.....
GJ1963

Post by GJ1963 »

Finally got sick and tired of listening to AM -- so I added and auxiliary input line to the stock radio. Now I can listen to whatever I want and still have the stock radio. With a new speaker it sounds pretty decent.
TOsborn

Post by TOsborn »

^Would you be interested in sharing how you added an aux input?

Nothing exciting here, new water pump and painted the back of my front fenders with rust encapsulator, and cleaned the bottom of the truck (leaky oil pan...)
GJ1963

Post by GJ1963 »

TOsborn wrote:^Would you be interested in sharing how you added an aux input?

I have done some write ups before but can't find at the moment. Here is one for other radios:
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/nallm/mp3jackinamfm.htm

In our case it is a red wire not light blue. It's pretty simple overall. Glad to answer any questions.
chris401
United States of America

Slick Service

Post by chris401 »

Rotated my tires today. Need to replace inter tie rod and draglink. Back in January I did an intake swap on the F250 from the Street Master 390 to a 66 GT intake and backed up the cam 6 deg. One of the best improvements I have made to the truck so far. The heavy truck liked the engine loosened up and the dual plane.

Chris
truckster

Post by truckster »

Removed the stock grill yesterday. Getting ready to install a custom (ripped off idea, haha) treatment.

therealjoeshmoe

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

well i took the bed off ground down the underside and got it painted, ground down and sanded the rear leafs and got them primed with rust stop ready to paint, also took the front fenders and stuff off. gonna work on the back side of the fenders next weekend and try to get all the expanding foam that was in my cowl drain from the idiot that painted my truck last.. yay.. cant wait..

stay tuned.........

Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
azjake
United States of America

Post by azjake »

I drove it about 50 miles! With the widows down and the vents open!!!

Hehehe!!!

Jake
I think I'll go to the "Spousal Avoidance Center" (workshop) for a while...
Casey 65
United States of America

Post by Casey 65 »

My Slick got a new set of 1942 Ford stainless steel hub caps! :D
"One Test Result is Worth One Thousand Expert Opinions" - Werner von Braun
truckster

Post by truckster »

^^^would love to see pics