Crown Vic Frame Swaps

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

HawaiiKid

Crown Vic Frame Swaps

Post by HawaiiKid »

I've been doing quite a bit of reading and researching, and I think I may have decided on a direction to take my 63 Short/Wrong build-a full Crown Vic/Gran Marquis/Town Car frame swap. I love the concept of having a modern chassis with power disc brakes, a 4+ inch drop, modern 4.6/5.4 2 or 4V FI motor, AOD trans, Coil over/4link suspension and all the brake/fuel/wiring done for me for a reasonable amount and in a package that fits very well under the truck.

What I'm wondering is who else out there has done with swap? I am wondering what the major stumbling blocks are, what people would do differently if they did it again and any helpful hints and info they have. Even if it's just a link to someone else's build, please post it up-looking for forge ahead with this project ASAP! :burp:
2003 F150 SVT Lightning-"Bonnie"-Mid 12s Daily Driver

1963 F100 SWB Project-"Lacy"-Crown Vic frame swap in the process!
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=28059
Trav_450R

Re: Crown Vic Frame Swaps

Post by Trav_450R »

I am in the process of getting my shortbed frame prepped and ready for a CV swap in a month (hopefully). The only obstacle I can see with myself, is making sure the wheelbase is measured and set correctly. Im doing mine with nothing but a bare frame right now. I've seen most people do theirs with the cab still on the frame.

Here is a link to a post on Jalopy Journal to kind of help explain more, and If I missed anything, others please fill in
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/grou ... ionid=1749
1966 F100 long bed, soon to bed short bed
1969 Ford Mustang Grande Coupe
1966 CC longbed, sold
1965 shortbed, scrapped
1962 shortbed straight axle
1997 GMC Sierra 1500 daily
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

Check this build out,

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18525
There are some Days I should not be let to go into the public without adult supervision
HawaiiKid

Post by HawaiiKid »

Trav_450R wrote:I am in the process of getting my shortbed frame prepped and ready for a CV swap in a month (hopefully). The only obstacle I can see with myself, is making sure the wheelbase is measured and set correctly. Im doing mine with nothing but a bare frame right now. I've seen most people do theirs with the cab still on the frame.

Here is a link to a post on Jalopy Journal to kind of help explain more, and If I missed anything, others please fill in

I like it...interesting the way they tied it into the stock frame-I have seen it done differently with the 03+ bolt in crossmember

Kid wrote:Check this build out,

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18525

Love that build, it is one of the ones that made me believe that I could tackle this project!

This is basically my plan, except on a Crown Vic frame and motor.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11045 ... assis.html

dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Trav_450R wrote:I am in the process of getting my shortbed frame prepped and ready for a CV swap in a month (hopefully). The only obstacle I can see with myself, is making sure the wheelbase is measured and set correctly. Im doing mine with nothing but a bare frame right now. I've seen most people do theirs with the cab still on the frame.

I can't find this thread over there. Is it in the 61-66 user group or the main board?
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

The link is for a thread in The 61-66 Ford F100 Alliance, which is under social groups, not on the main board........

dotcentral wrote:

I can't find this thread over there. Is it in the 61-66 user group or the main board?
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

I wrote user group, but meant social group. What is the name of the thread please? The link doesn't take me there?
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
HawaiiKid

Post by HawaiiKid »

Sorry I'm just seeing this, the name of the post is

Uni Progress- Crown Vic IFS
:oops:

Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

dotcentral wrote:I wrote user group, but meant social group. What is the name of the thread please? The link doesn't take me there?

Doc you may need to be a member and sign in to go to that group, rather than the main site. Link works for me but I'm a member.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

dotcentral wrote:I wrote user group, but meant social group. What is the name of the thread please? The link doesn't take me there?

Doc you may need to be a member and sign in to go to that group, rather than the main site. Link works for me but I'm a member.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Foodstick's posts will be of particular interest if you wish to do a full frame swap. Since you have a '63; he can give you accurate info as to what is required on the early cabs. Mine is a modified Town Car (same as CV, Marquis) clip grafted onto a short bed 64 frame, but I much prefer his path.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul