Rear Spring Hangar Flip.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

William-in-St George

Rear Spring Hangar Flip.

Post by William-in-St George »

OKAY. I wanted to reverse the eye on my rear spring and I put that in the too hard to do box for now. I did remove eight rivets on the spring hangar (rear spring front hangar) mocked it all up and lowered the truck to the floor and Damn, just a bit to low. Much easier for me to get in and out now so that is an advantage. I think my other front tires and wheels will help set it level when I install them today. I have about 3 inches from the bump stop to the top of the rear axle housing. Truck is just for riding around so I guess 3 inches will be enough. I have a set of seriously stiff gas shocks so that should help smooth out the ride. The nose of the diff went up a bit as a result of flipping the shackle. That needed to happen anyway since after swapping the differential and re welding the spring perches I wound up at about zero. Since the trans is 5% down the nose needs about 5% up and I think I may have hit that nicely. Has anyone here tried this method of lowering the rear of their truck? It is just a bit lower than I wanted but as long as the drive shaft doesn't bind I think it will be OKAY.
William-in-St. George
graybeard
United States of America

Re: Rear Spring Hangar Flip.

Post by graybeard »

Bill,
Yes I dropped a '65 exactly as your talking about. Dropped the front with 3" forged axles. Sure wish I'd have bought three sets of those axles, but I didn't, the company was out of buisness the next year. I had the bed off anyway, that made it easier. The whole deal took one weekend, didn't require any adjustment, zero, at a bud's alignment shop. Drove it to Pate two years later & sold it. It's still on the road in the Texas hill country, 15 years later.

ILC
If you can't run with the big dogs "STAY UNDER THE PORCH" !!!!!
Von Dud

Re: Rear Spring Hangar Flip.

Post by Von Dud »

Hey William - there are angle shims if you run into differential binding concerns. Here is a $20 example: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Leaf-Spri ... ,3354.html

There are also providers with replacement brackets and shackles: http://djmsuspension.com/products/hs1130-4/

(need shorter shocks if you go this route and I have not asked DJM if C-notching is essential for this particular kit)

Good luck - let's see picts when you work it out.
66 F100 longbed, 240cid all in a line, rowing thru 3-on-the-tree