3rd member help

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

cwindsor

3rd member help

Post by cwindsor »

I need to start looking in the junk yard for a replacement 3rd member for my truck. I know it needs to be 28 spline and out of a 9 inch rear end. Does any have a list of 9 inch rear members that will work in our truck? I am looking for something in the low 3's high 2's gearing.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
jamesdfo
Canada

Re: 3rd member help

Post by jamesdfo »

If you are going to a Pick'n'Pull yard, they have the Hollander Interchange manuals on the computer, ask, and they will punch in what you are looking for, an print off what looks like a till receipt with a list of vehicles that would have part(s) comparable your part.
If it's a local independent yard, pre 73 1/2 tons & most full size ford pasenger land yahts would have 28 spline 9" diffs, with a few notable exceptions in performance oriented versions having 31 spline
Worst case, provided the wheels are already off, it's only 4 bolts to pull an axle & count the axle splines.....
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Just my opinion but I have been rebuilding my chunks, and the last go around I found that a new set of gears and bearings were not that expensive, and you aready know what you got.
Pick and pull wants outrageous prices, a double master runs 36.00,porportioning valve 14.00 and cores on both, you do all the work, and you only get a 30 day return window. Do a search for what you need on google or such and shop around.
For example a double master cylinder for a 88-89 jeep cherokee (fits nicely in my 61 with minor mods) can be bought for between 23 (reman)and 68 (highest price for brand new) dollars on Rock Auto, a brand new bendix runs 34.00
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

You can identify "some" 28 spline by the rectangular rounded-corner recess in the axle flange. There are also some 28 spline which may have the same marking as the 31 spline with two holes side by side in the axle flange. None of the 31 spline originally had the two holes. Note that the 8 inch housings will have the same 28 spline axles and identification.
Hollander number 693 is the carrier assembly to replace yours. There is the proverbial mile long list of applications including Ford F100 '57-'71 w/ 9" carrier, Ford passenger '57-'73, early Broncos, some later Econolines, Mustangs, Cougars, Torinos, Rancheros, Fairlanes, etc. Note that not all versions of these vehicles will have the correct 9"-28 spline.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul