Info on the 'Pertronics' ignition system.............

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Limestone66
United States of America

Re: Info on the 'Pertronics' ignition system.............

Post by Limestone66 »

Snagged this from the 'Speedway Motors' website. This is what ima talkin about.

Long live the 352

........Ron..........

1966 Ford F250 Custom Cab {Longbox}
1996 Toyota Camry {Wifes ride}
1940 Harley Davidson knucklehead {Retired in 2006, gave to one of my sons in 2010}
1975 Harley Davidson XLH {Groundpounder}
2005 Harley Davidson Deluxe {Nostalgia} Almost home 'girl'

In memory of Donald G. Roswell- My freind and 'brother'.
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

When I installed the Pertronix I in the 62 Uni that I sold to Doug (64 Ranger), in the wire from the switch to the coil, cut and installed an insulated spade Male/Female disconnect to be utilized whenever I had to have the switch "on" for an length of time with the engine not running. Far as I know, it is still working.

Fred
Limestone66
United States of America

Post by Limestone66 »

fmartin_gila wrote:When I installed the Pertronix I in the 62 Uni that I sold to Doug (64 Ranger), in the wire from the switch to the coil, cut and installed an insulated spade Male/Female disconnect to be utilized whenever I had to have the switch "on" for an length of time with the engine not running. Far as I know, it is still working.

Fred

Excellent idea 'Fred'. I was wonderin how to go about doin that if i had to have the ignition switch on for any length of time without the engine runnin. Damn good idea, i'll be sure and do that. Thanks man!
Long live the 352

........Ron..........

1940 Harley Davidson knucklehead {Retired in 2006, gave to one of my sons in 2010}

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Since Pertronix recommends removal of the ignition resistance wire, it's a good time to consider Fred's recommendation.
If you wished, it can be taken a step further by utilizing a "kill switch" in the new wiring. That will allow easy shut-off for diagnostics while serving as a theft deterrent if the need arises.
I think you're making a good choice.
What coil did you decide to go with?
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Appears to be just ignitor kit and coil. Same tired distributor with seized vacuum advance pipe since it was built, apparently.
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
Limestone66
United States of America

Post by Limestone66 »

Thought about going with this...............

This one offers 1.5 ohms of primary resistance and delivers at least 40k volts. Recommended for the Pertronix Flame-Thrower ignition system dizzy i want. Thanks Paul, i'm glad you agree on this.

DV65? Whatever do you mean sir? :dontknow:
Long live the 352

........Ron..........

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Limestone66 wrote:Thought about going with this...............

This one offers 1.5 ohms of primary resistance and delivers at least 40k volts. Recommended for the Pertronix Flame-Thrower ignition system dizzy i want. Thanks Paul, i'm glad you agree on this.

DV65? Whatever do you mean sir? :dontknow:

DV threw me for a loop, too! :? Then I noted he was simply answering your earlier query regarding his Pertronix setup.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Limestone66
United States of America

Post by Limestone66 »

Well he prolly was, now that you mention it.
Long live the 352

........Ron..........

DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Yes. Yes he was. :P
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
dirtbike
Australia

Post by dirtbike »

In the process of installing Pertronix I with Flamethrower Coil. Just want to clarify that I need to remove the resistor wire from the ignition?
-= FORD F100 1965 =-
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Some of the aftermarket distributors do not have adjustable vacuum advance adjustment. I have zero experience with Pertronix distributors but I do have the Ignitor 1 in my truck. One good thing about them is 35° dwell at idle and 30° at 4,000 requardless of a .030" or .060" gap.
Chris
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Im joining the thread a little late, but thought Id add to the success of the pertronix converted.....
Heres my :2cents:

289w mustang came with Pertronix 1 installed by P/O with standard coil. 11 years since and I've NEVER had an ignition problem. Ive left the ignition on for ages installing radios (Yes radio(S)...... Custom auto junk radio, so of course there was several I had to install, they only last 6 months each) Rewired headlight relays, etc etc. Who knows WHEN the previous owner installed it but its older than 11 years so I was pretty sold.

Effey2 (351C) had an idle miss that needed attention but also had a few other problems with exhaust and fuel pump. I figured an ignition upgrade couldn't hurt illuminating the miss. Summit or someone had a deal for a Pertronix 2 and flame thrower coil so I bit, thinking I'd do it all at once. When it came time to install, I'd replaced an exhaust manifold and the fuel pump, most of the miss was gone. I diligently removed the resister wire, attached the coil and ran into a little trouble fitting the reluctor ring on the distributor. It just wouldn't SEAT properly. A little massaging of the plastic with the dremel and it fit on nicely...... but REFUSED to start. I went over and over it, the ground wire is 'stretched' inside my distributor and moving it to one side would get a cough and misfire but the correct side had ZERO ignition. I was pissed and started to throw tools...... I could go back to stock points but I damaged the condenser fitting the pertronix. Now with a flat battery, annoyed wife (all day for a 1hr job) and zero confidence I shut the bonnet and stormed off.

A few CALM days later, some research and a fully charged battery, it turned out Australian cleveland engines have bosch distributors and American have autolite's. So off to the local parts shop and the correct kit in hand, I installed the CORRECT petronix 2. It didn't even give a full spin before it ROARED to life and hasn't missed a beat since. I threw the points away and would fit this kit to any vehicle with points I have. Over and over.
This one cost me more because I initially bought the wrong kit, but I am very happy with it. It's one of those mods you forget about because it just does its thing over and over without any maintenance or any thought. I start effey in the middle of winter or summer and it behaves like a modern car to me.

Sorry for the crappy pic, but you get the idea. (And Im on a different time zone)
dirtbike
Australia

Post by dirtbike »

Just installed Pertronix Ignition and Flamethrower coil POS in Bosch distributor (Ford 351C) and thing is dead. Removed resistor wire to coil. Got 12v at coil, run additional ground still nothing. Got no spark at plug. I noticed you cant adjust gap on it, also cant line top of magnet with ignitor top cause the rotor doesn't fit correctly. Not happy!! :cussing:
-= FORD F100 1965 =-
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Ran a Pertronix I kit in my '57 F100 inside a stock small block distributor. Put Pertronix II system in my '55 Chevy. The thing I have found is a I, II and III all take different coils. I just buy the matching coil when I buy the ignition system. Also been using their plug wires and like them. The uni is slated to get the Pertronix billet distributor with a II system and coil/wires. I also like the fact you can use the male terminal on the Pertronix setup and get the bigger wires to fit better than they do in the female style caps. Only part of an HEI distributor I like is the cap/wire connection!

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

dirtbike that's EXACTLY the problem I had with the rotor not fitting properly and also the screws didn't align correctly on the 'points' Basically the box said 351c but it didn't fit mine, it's only good for the American 351c (kit 1281 maybe?!) There's a specific Bosch/motor craft kit for our 351c! I can't remember which number kit I have, but speak to pertronix in aus, they have the correct kit ($130ish)