Is your Slick a DD?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Is your Slick your DD?

Yes
29%
Could be but isn't
40%
Doesn't run well enough
16%
Isnt suitable as a DD (farm truck, ect)
1%
Other (show truck ect)
14%

Total votes: 109

bmcgc
United States of America

Is your Slick a DD?

Post by bmcgc »

Just curious how many of you use your Slick as a DD.

I don't mean that it runs well enough to be a DD, I mean how many of you drive it to work every day and whenever you need to go somewhere.

I consider mine as my DD because its the only thing with 4 wheels left to drive after my misses goes to work every morning.
Over the hill and picking up speed!

1966 F100 (Mine)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
2012 Dodge Caliber (Hers-under protest)
1998 1100 Aero (Hers)
2001 1100 Aero (Mine)

Wish List:

Win Indy 500
Ask Elvis WTH he has been
Spend the summer as Meatloafs Roadie
Be a member of the "Five Timers" club
WrongBedDave
United States of America

Re: Is your Slick a DD?

Post by WrongBedDave »

My slick has been my DD for the past 4 and a half years. Its the only vehicle Ive owned and it got me to and from HS every day and still gets driven nearly every day now that Im in college. Not the most gas friendly option but who cares!
Dave

63 Wrong Bed 2WD : 302/C4, drip rails shaved, aluminum radiator/e-fan, 16 gallon fuel cell, "custom" gauges, 1000W sound system

Photobucket Album:
http://s1084.photobucket.com/albums/j413/davewave649/
Build Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=27105
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

my truck is a DD and has been since I got it going on 5 years now.got me to and from and never let me down.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

My Truck Is At A Point Now Where It Could Be. I Don't Drive It During The Harsh Kansas Winters With All The Salt On The Roads. If I Still Lived In Sunny Southern California It Would Be A Different Story! 8)..........
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

" Isnt suitable as a DD (farm truck, ect) "

butbut.gif

that's what what I drive every day :D
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
29rpu

Post by 29rpu »

got my driver license in my 66 f250 when I was 16 (22 now) and been driving it as my daily untell a yr and half ago when I got 64 short bed now I drive it everyday. the 66 sits and use it as my hauler when I need it. but both in the last year both have made 2,000 mile road trip to californa and back with now problem. I get a look of amazement :shock: when they see and Arizona plate on a beat up truck that looks like is shount of made it 300 miles pass the Arizona state boarder
ken_b

Post by ken_b »

You forgot

[X] I wish!

:)
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

Mine is. I just don't see the pointing in owning a vehicle if it's just going to be a piece of furniture or the other extreme, left outside to rot.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

I don't drive mine everyday, but I could. I work from home so that has alot to do with it. It will start and go anytime I need it. It's a real handy thing to have. I wouldn't want it ever to be to showy or to nice to drive which is exactly why I've never painted it. And with all that I still get a "thumbs up" or people wanting to stop and talk about it or give it some compliment.
Blackwaterforge

Post by Blackwaterforge »

80,000.0 miles since 8/1/2010
If it cain't be fixed with a sledge hammer it must be an electrical problem!
Hazdri
United States of America

Post by Hazdri »

I am a new member. Just purchased a '66 F100 last week. Have a few issues to take care of first then it will be a DD while I continue to work on it. Should have it on the road by the weekend.
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

What about:
[x] Used to be, but is in 1000 pieces right now.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
Casey 65
United States of America

Post by Casey 65 »

slick4x4 wrote:that's what what I drive every day

:laughing:
"One Test Result is Worth One Thousand Expert Opinions" - Werner von Braun
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

Im retired so i dont drive it to work,but its driven almost daily on short trips to town and back. occasionally i even haul something!
ras4434

Post by ras4434 »

This 65 is a daily driver with an average of 13000 miles per year over the past 4 years. The previous 66 and I were together for over 20 years on a daily basis and almost 600,000 miles on a 300 I-6. Never a rebuild on the 66 and it was transplanted into a van and is still on the road. Wish I still had the 66.....now that was a bad decision.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

I use my 66 shortbed every day. Was my fishing truck until I got my 66 4x4, now that is my fishing truck. The 66 is having some issues of late, and I can't leave anything laying on the floor, or it won't be there when I get to where I'm going. On the other hand, I don't have to open the door to pick up something off the ground anymore. The left rear brake has been locking up on gravel and the overdrive no longer works right, just to many round to-its. Still gets me there and back on a daily basis. First things first, I've got to get my second grandsons Porsche out of my hair. Then My first grandsons 65 done and out of my hair. To many projects and to little time. I will always have one beater truck regardless, as a dedicated driver. When you fix one up get it all painted and it's pretty, then it is also pretty much useless as a work truck.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

As a general rule I take my truck when I don't have any passengers. I am an artist/ artisan, so my work commute is across the yard to the shop. My truck is apart right now, so I am using my other two vehicles. I will be happy to have it back together, I miss driving my truck.
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

chris401
United States of America

Was till August.

Post by chris401 »

Put my foot in it a lot and didn't run a windage tray. Wished I had rebuilt original 352 instead.
Chris
Limestone66
United States of America

Post by Limestone66 »

Limestone is every day, unless the weather is good enough to ride. After running my old 66 for well over a year with bad valves and other less troublesome issues and never once skipped a beat or left me stranded on the side of the road, the old girl made a beleiver outta me. Everywhere we go, we get the looks of approval of driving something as old as our slicks and often or not, the same question time after time, "What year is it?" I'm still gonna get her a decent paintjob someday but not anytime soon, so i'll just sand it all down a 'clearcoat' the whole thing........................."Got 'Patina?"

rwhistles wrote:my truck is a DD and has been since I got it going on 5 years now.got me to and from and never let me down.
[/color]

It almost let you down when you and Sherman rolled into my yard for a freindly visit, but nothing a good pair of jumper cables couldnt fix. :laughing:

But the real test comes up in April of 14 when we take her up to the Super Nationals for a very 'hopefully' relaxing vacation in the mountains. But then there is 'Slickstock', and that is a strong possible 'maybe'.
Long live the 352

........Ron..........

1966 Ford F250 Custom Cab {Longbox}
1996 Toyota Camry {Wifes ride}
1940 Harley Davidson knucklehead {Retired in 2006, gave to one of my sons in 2010}
1975 Harley Davidson XLH {Groundpounder}
2005 Harley Davidson Deluxe {Nostalgia} Almost home 'girl'

In memory of Donald G. Roswell- My freind and 'brother'.
Brendan in NC
United States of America

Post by Brendan in NC »

our 66 Longbed is when we need to haul a load! :wink: but would not be drove everyday cause i think what's left of the clutch would go in 5 oclock traffic :roll: ohter than that shoot i drive it all day! :mrgreen:
Brendan Shane Dixon Greenville North Carolina
my collection all between 1964 an 1966
1. 1966 Ford F-100 Custom Cab Longbed 352 V8 3 speed 157,000 Original Miles (Same family since New)
2. 1964 IH Farmall 140 Offset Farm Tractor
3. 1964 IH McCormick Farmall Cub Offset Garden Tractor (Red Square Nose one of 2,345 Built)