Thinking about converting my 66 to a 1/2 ton

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

bruceandersson

Re: Thinking about converting my 66 to a 1/2 ton

Post by bruceandersson »

You'll need to go with the disk brake wheels as the originals will probably not clear the calipers
66camperspecial

Post by 66camperspecial »

Rear end is out and need to pick up a couple spring center bolts since I will be removing three leaves,was able to save the U bolts and hope to be installing the 9 inch in a couple days.
66camperspecial

bruceandersson wrote:You'll need to go with the disk brake wheels as the originals will probably not clear the calipers
I have 69 wheels on the front and they clear the calipers,I need to come up with a set of wheels so a trip to the junkyard is in order this weekend.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

66camperspecial wrote:The ride is not the only concern,even with the 3.54 gears it is still going to need overdrive so I can go on the highways for long trips but there is no cheap way to get o/d behind the 460. I should have put a 351-w and AOD but got the fresh 460 cheap so I could not pass it up,I can change it over to a 1/2 ton and fix the ride problem and not tall enough gears at one time for much less money then a trans with o/d.

A slip yoke 5 sp ZF and a C6 have the same tail shaft od and spline. A Doug Nash under drive box from a C6 will ship on the tail of the ZF. If you fabbed a tail housing or brace you could have 3.54 gears and a good od and a 4.24 for towing and keep your speedometer cable driven. Below is a 4wd ZF and a Doug Nash input gear on its tail.

Chris
66camperspecial

The swap is almost done,all I have to do is figure out how I am going to attach the rear sway bar links to the frame and find some tires.
66camperspecial

Sway bar is hooked up and not certain how good it will work but might have to find the correct 1976 links,now all i need is tires for the rear and trying to find a set of 31-10.5-15s but having a hard time finding a good used set.
66camperspecial

It is done and I am happy with the results.
Michael Bryce Winnick

You may want to call me.

Post by Michael Bryce Winnick »

I have a 66 1/2 ton that I bought in South Carolina with amazing metal. I have a floorless 66 1/2 ton that I drove to the back yard that is a gift from the truck G-ds as a parts truck. I have the power steering conversion stuff and a 66 radiator support that could pass for NOS if I cared to lie about it. My inner fenders can also pass for NOS. I have 3 three speed manual transmissions between the two trucks. I pulled the front clip and insides out of the cab on the good metal truck. I have the title. I also have a jumped title on the parts truck which means little to me as I was going to part it out and crush afterwards. I have many other miscellaneous parts that I was going to use on the rebuild as well. Parts truck has a 302 that uses oil...about a quart an hour, but has a hell of a great tune on it. Once she warms up, you can put a glass of water on the hood and barely get a ripple. The good metal truck died as a result of engine fire. Motor is gone. Do have nos pressure plate. Both trucks are three on the column.

Story: My better half's son has my better half's first car. 1973 Charger, triple white SE brougham 400 car. For Christmas he is giving me the car with title. Car sez put 20k into me all day long. I also need the garage space.

Between the two trucks, you are on the road with great metal. The S.C. truck has very little rust in bed and floor. I have never seen a project truck with metal this amazing. I am looking 3k to see all go down the road. I have my prior title and bill of sale as well. I paid 2,500.00 for the S.C. truck and $750 for the parts truck. Paid $50.00 shipped for the radiator support, paid $300.00 for the p/s steering box. It has been a while, but it is the better of borg warner or Saginaw. I have a round chrome guage cluster for oil, vacuum, volts, temp, oil from a truck of the same vintage (FORD). Too cool to pass up, had to buy it.