exhaust tip opinions please

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

kstones63
United States of America

exhaust tip opinions please

Post by kstones63 »

I am thinking about on the back of Nick's uni to bring the exhaust out through the rear roll pan under the tailgate. I would build a round steel piece and have it taper back inside a little bit like a cone and have the pipes come out of the center of these pieces.
I have been looking at the 65 Mustangs that have the exhaust coming out of the body with a chrome ring around it and it got me thinking about doing something similar.
My question is would it look better coming out of the metal or leave the pipes under the body?????
Another thought would be to build a tip that would match the curve of the body where the license plate is and have the exhaust come out there. :?

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
Toyz
United States of America

Re: exhaust tip opinions please

Post by Toyz »

I really like the setup on the Uni Mike K put together, but couldn't find a good way to thread them around my deep gas tank.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

kstones63 wrote:Another thought would be to build a tip that would match the curve of the body where the license plate is and have the exhaust come out there. :?
Image Kevin

My thought was to have tips that somewhat matched the tail light curvature and have them exit beside the license plate. But, your idea would work also.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
truckster

Post by truckster »

dump them before the axle...
simonscr
United States of America

Post by simonscr »

I think I would do a half round notch in the bottom of the roll pan for the pipes. Under the "F" and the "D" from the tailgate.
Simon

65 f 100

56 willys m38a1 SOLD ( Have had since high school )
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Kevin how about French in the rear exhaust so the end sticks out just a little or maybe on lower rear 1/4 panel towards bottom at a sideways exhaust, when we did the ones on my 56 truck we ran them through the running boards using a tip of a Ford Car from the 50's at the end of boards to bad no running boards here
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

simonscr wrote:I think I would do a half round notch in the bottom of the roll pan for the pipes. Under the "F" and the "D" from the tailgate.

I have thought about this to make it look kind of like the new Dodge truck bumpers with a small eyebrow above the tips.

trickster, we don't want to exit that early. We are going to try and keep it quiet in the cab but I think that we are going to put exhaust cutouts on it so he can open it up if he wants to, but he wouldn't do that if it was illegal. :lol:

Tom, we did think about having the exhaust come out the side panels in front of the wheels but we kind of decided against it and taking it all the way to the back.

Kevin
kstones63
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

kstones63 wrote:
simonscr wrote:I think I would do a half round notch in the bottom of the roll pan for the pipes. Under the "F" and the "D" from the tailgate.

I have thought about this to make it look kind of like the new Dodge truck bumpers with a small eyebrow above the tips.

Kevin

Exactly what I was thinking!!!

Nic
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

kstones63 wrote:

I also like the look of of the exhaust tips on the new Dodge pickups, but I wonder if that style would be hazardous to possible burned legs if you were to be at the tailgate immediately after running???

BarnieTrk
randyr

Post by randyr »

I know this won't work for you with your gas tank placement, but I've always thought it looks pretty cool. Unfortunately, the license plate is a distraction.

While the "Dodge style" would be a nice touch, and I can't really imagine any realistic scenario where someone would burn their legs on it unless you ran the exhaust out 6"-12" past the rollpan :shock: , running the exhaust along side the gas tank with a nice tip below the rollpan will help disguise the gas tank itself. Just a thought. I'm sure you'll come up with something unique and amazing either way. :D
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Randy,
That was my original thought to put the exhaust in where the license plate belongs. I would build a box to follow the contour of the pan. I would have to hole saw a hole in the frame on each side to get the exhaust coming into this box. I am sure that won't be the best performance way due to the tight bend getting in there but it might look good.
I would then use a license plate mount that folds down when the key is turned on and retracts when it is off.
I might go ahead and build the box just to see what it looks like and then make my decision.

Kevin
kstones63
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Kevin.
I like the gang style square honey comb tips like are used on Sprint Cup cars and would french them in and exit them on the outsides edge of the roll pan (just inside the tailgate hinges) or just behind the rear tires. Mine exit just in front of the tires under my flair side steps, but when you're up near a concrete divider on the freeway, you get that "one bank drone" echo in the cab. I don't think it would be such an issue behind the rear tires.........
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Kevin, the box sounds like a good solution; are you thinking of the plate just lowering but remaining visible while driving?
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Paul. I am thinking about mounting the plate under the rear of the truck so that it disappears when the engine is turned off and swinging down to be completely visible when driving.
That will all depend on how much ground clearance the we have with the plate down.

Kevin
kstones63
randyr

Post by randyr »

kstones63 wrote:Paul. I am thinking about mounting the plate under the rear of the truck so that it disappears when the engine is turned off and swinging down to be completely visible when driving.
That will all depend on how much ground clearance the we have with the plate down.

Kevin

If you do one kinda like this, it won't matter how much ground clearance you have....http://www.jegs.com/v/Altec-Products-Inc/042

or here's another version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G99aZTDtE0
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Kevin I saw this going down the road this morning, A Dodge truck newer one and the rear bumper had cut outs for exhaust at the base of bumper, too wide bumper ? cut a section out then re-chrome ? just thinking out loud
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I measured out several around the shop: 300ZX, transverse muffler, 4 tips,probably work well if 3/4 scale for clearance. Mark VIII stock tips; could be made to fit in the nacelle with a license plate, but kinda ugly at that line of sight due to the obvious small round pipe inside, IMO. The centered exhaust ala Grand Cherokee SRT looks great, but all are becoming too common on customs, again IMHO!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I had Supertrapps on an old Bronco. I may try the coved pan with a couple of the Supertrapps for a little different look. I'm a long way from such concerns yet!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Here is what I decided to build and see what it looks like. I made a pattern out of wood to bend the 3/8" rod around for the basic shape. Wood doesn't work out really well when using a torch. :lol:
I cut some 20 ga. metal and started bending it around the rod until I got it completely boxed in. I had to step it inward to clear the body but it should work out.

Getting the exhaust into this will be challenge. I figure that I will have to bore a hole in the frame directly to the sides of the tip to run the pipes through.

What do you think? Any comments? good or bad?
I am thinking to have this chromed, if I get it smooth enough and then paint the inside black so that center cross brace disappears.
I am considering putting some dividers in the middle but I don't know whether to put 1, 2 or 3 dividers in it.
I had figured that I would put the license plate on a slide to come down when the key turns on and goes away when it turns off but AZ has a law that says that the bottom of the plate has to be at least 12" above the ground so that might be a problem. :?

Kevin
kstones63
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Looks like your on track! You always have great ideas...can't wait to see what the verdict will be
Phil