Anyone have a source for 300 engine mounts that fit? UGH!!!

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

slixtyfive
United States of America

Anyone have a source for 300 engine mounts that fit? UGH!!!

Post by slixtyfive »

Same topic as my other post - just adding this one with question in title. Hoping someone know where to get new 240/300 engine mounts that actually fit.

Thx
Last edited by slixtyfive on April 12, 2014, 3:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
62bigwindow
United States of America

Re: Anyone have a source for new engine mounts that fit? (30

Post by 62bigwindow »

Have you tried NAPA?They seem to have good quality parts.
Every day above ground is a good one
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

Yes, I tried NAPA and ordered a set in just to find out that they were FE mounts.........
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
1green66
United States of America

Post by 1green66 »

Have you only tried to get mounts for a '65? I believe they were the same mounts clear through the '70s. The '79 300 I just got has the same mounts as my '66 240. You may be able to get a good mount by searching a newer year.
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

I had looked at 65 and 66 in case they were off by a year on the frame redesign but hadn't checked any later years than that. I also noticed that the Ford part # listed on some vendor sites was a 67 part number so now I revisited NAPA and found that they do at least show pics of the correct looking parts for 68-72. So I'm checking on those and should know more tomorrow.......
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

Got the parts from NAPA today - they are much better but still not exactly right. The passenger side bolted up fine but the drivers side needed a little grinding to clear the oil pan rail and the distributor boss in the block.

So, I should be able to set the engine in for the final time tomorrow.

Lesson learned for anyone else heading down this path: It appears there are two manufacturers of these particular parts - Westar and Anchor. Avoid the Westar parts as the two sets of those I have do not fit. Like I mentioned above the driver's side of the Anchor set needed a little clearance work but not a lot. Also note that the Westar parts were in 'Pioneer' packaging........
totten
United States of America

Post by totten »

LMC truck has them. Just seen your other post. Sorry your's didn't fit . What year truck and engine year do you have?
1966 f-100 ranger,red and white,240,cruiseomatic,3.00 gear,a/c.
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

The two Westar sets that didn't work came from LMC and MACS.

The set that fits (with tweaking) came from NAPA - but they list the wrong part for '65 and '66 (show FE mounts for both 352 and 240/300). So you have to look up 67 or later to get the correct part number.

After having NAPA get a set in, someone mentioned on my other post that Summit sells them so I checked those out online and they are listed as Anchor as well.

My truck is a '65 and the engine came from a '68 but there shouldn't be any differences up through at least '72 - most likely up to '79.
slixtyfive
United States of America

Re: Anyone have a source for new engine mounts that fit? Got

Post by slixtyfive »

OK - so now I'm about to throw in the towel!!!

These mounts may bolt up to the engine OK but they don't mount the engine in the truck correctly!!! The engine sits crooked such that the tran mount is about 1-1/2"-2" off to the right (yes, I have the tran CM in correctly with the hole offset to the right) UGH!!!
Truckrat
United States of America

Re: Anyone have a source for new engine mounts that fit? UGH

Post by Truckrat »

Slixtyfive, that is a bummer all the problems you have had with getting
engine mounts to fit right. I plan to drop a 300 into a 64 and have a cross member
for it but haven't bought new mounts. Had planned to pick mounts up here locally
when I got to that point. Good to know not all are the same. Thanks for sharing. TR
slixtyfive
United States of America

Re: Anyone have a source for 300 engine mounts that fit? UGH

Post by slixtyfive »

Well, after messing with this for a while again today, I took one of the repo mounts off to 'open up' the holes a bit to allow some adjustment fore/aft to help with the positioning. After doing that I set it down next to the original mount to compare stud location and happened to notice that the studs are larger on the repos - 1/2" vs 7/16". Now that doesn't seem like much but apparently its enough to not let the mounts settle into the perches right. 'Cause after seeing that I also opened up the holes in the perches a bit (back front side of driver and rear side of passenger to induce the revised positioning I needed) and I got it to work now. (I THINK!)