'65 Clutch pivot arm grease? (anyone?)

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

slixtyfive
United States of America

'65 Clutch pivot arm grease? (anyone?)

Post by slixtyfive »

Does the clutch pivot arm need to be greased when installing it? All that I've take apart are greasy but the again, pretty much everything under the hood was greasy. There aren't any grease zerks built in so that makes me wonder - are they supposed to be greased and if so inside the plastic bushing on the shaft or outside the plastic bushing to the pivot arm?

To clarify - I'm specifically referring to a '65/'66 factory setup - not sure if the earlier ones have the plastic bushing or other provisions etc
Last edited by slixtyfive on April 8, 2014, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
skidoorulz
United States of America

Re: Clutch pivot arm grease?

Post by skidoorulz »

Can't speak to your year but my 64 has bronze bushings and does have a grease zerk. I cleaned it all out and upon reassembly greased up the bushings. I will pump it full of grease also before I drive it.
Eallen66
United States of America

Post by Eallen66 »

skidoorulz wrote:Can't speak to your year but my 64 has bronze bushings and does have a grease zerk. I cleaned it all out and upon reassembly greased up the bushings. I will pump it full of grease also before I drive it.

+1 on 64'.
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

Here is a picture of the '65 and later style. (retaining clip not installed yet)

The pivot arm doesn't have grease zerks(or holes for zerks to be installed in)

The pivot on the block uses the same felt washer, bushing and clip also.

I'm sure they should have some type of grease but was just concerned if I use the wrong type it might degrade the plastic bushing.

"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
slixtyfive
United States of America

Re: '65 Clutch pivot arm grease? (anyone?)

Post by slixtyfive »

Just bringing this back to the top to see if anyone has any comments or suggestions.....
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

The grease fitting is on the lever part itself not the pivots. If you're worried about the plastic use a lithium grease.
Blackwaterforge

Post by Blackwaterforge »

I drilled and threaded mine for a grease fitting 4 1/2 years and 125000 miles ago.
I use red pump grease.
If it cain't be fixed with a sledge hammer it must be an electrical problem!
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

I understand that the grease zerks wouldn't be on the pivots but would be on the 'shaft' of the pivot arm. But there in lies the question because mine doesn't have a zerk or any holes where a zerk may have been.

I guess I can drill it and add one as Blackwater did........
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

suppose i could say "whats in the owners manual" but it might not be covered
seems to me being a nylon ball and a fiber washer that some light grease or oil is all thats needed.
takes a lot of grease to fill that tube up, most of which is wasted stuck in the middle.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton