Front fender and clip disassembly advice

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

624WD

Front fender and clip disassembly advice

Post by 624WD »

I am trying to remove the front fenders and clip from my 62 4 wd. Is there a recommended disassembly sequence? The sheet metal fasteners and assembly are difficult to reach or access. Any advice? Thank you. Tom
64 f100

Re: Front fender and clip disassembly advice

Post by 64 f100 »

If, you can, remove the whole assembly and then you can roll it around to get at things with power tools. This is how I do it on 2 wheel drives. Haven't tried it on 4 wheelers.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

It is eaziest done as stated above. It really helps to spray the nuts with Kroil oil, or a 50/50 solution of acetone and atf a couple of times. wire brushing those threads you can get to will make the job go smoother as wel
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

May sound like more work to remove the entire front clip but it is actually much easier that way.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
624WD

Post by 624WD »

got it. does this mean that the inner fenders can stay in place or do, they come off at the same time as a unit?
jkimbrel65
United States of America

Post by jkimbrel65 »

Unbolt the the outer and inner fenders from the cab and the core support from the frame and it all comes off as one piece.

Mike
I tried being normal once...
was the worst 10 minutes of my life
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Don't forget the bolts on the inner kick panels that go to the fender. They are back in the small hole about shin high, some have a cover over the holes..others do not.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

Three guys make the job go easier, when your ready to pull off
One in the the front & one on each side
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
624WD

Post by 624WD »

Unfortunately, I am the Lone F100 Ranger up here. No-one around here is interested in old metal let alone working on one. I think I will hook up my engine crane and spreader bar, lift it just enough, roll the truck backwards, and then set the front clip down. Maybe. We'll see how that goes! LOL!

Thanks for the replies. tom

p.s My dream? Call a roving band of old truck helpers that travel the country; sort of like a call to Ghost Busters. This team of malcontents and fringe societal outcasts, just shows up at my house door, and next thing you know about 30 guys are helping out and the truck is welded back together and I'm driving it. All in a flurry of action, wrench turning, beer can tossing, and work getting done. And if I am lucky, I might learn something too.
Casey 65
United States of America

Post by Casey 65 »

624WD wrote:p.s My dream? Call a roving band of old truck helpers that travel the country; sort of like a call to Ghost Busters. This team of malcontents and fringe societal outcasts, just shows up at my house door, and next thing you know about 30 guys are helping out and the truck is welded back together and I'm driving it. All in a flurry of action, wrench turning, beer can tossing, and work getting done. And if I am lucky, I might learn something too.

We all have this dream! :lol:
"One Test Result is Worth One Thousand Expert Opinions" - Werner von Braun
droptf100

Post by droptf100 »

Casey 65 wrote:
624WD wrote:p.s My dream? Call a roving band of old truck helpers that travel the country; sort of like a call to Ghost Busters. This team of malcontents and fringe societal outcasts, just shows up at my house door, and next thing you know about 30 guys are helping out and the truck is welded back together and I'm driving it. All in a flurry of action, wrench turning, beer can tossing, and work getting done. And if I am lucky, I might learn something too.

We all have this dream! :lol:

HAHA true story! Im about to this myself. Good info thanks guys.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Lived in Louisiana down at the old capitol of Donaldsonville many years ago. Needed to install a motor in a 53 Merc. and talking to a brother who happened to stop by about the problem. He said he would do it for 5$, and I said deal. He went and got four other men and a 4x4, then set that puppy in by hand. Interesting experience, and educational.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus