240 install questions...

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Oregoon

240 install questions...

Post by Oregoon »

Hey everyone,

I scored a low-mile rebuilt '71 240 over the weekend to replace the rod-knocking 240 in my '66 F100. It's very clean, comes from a trusted source, and is complete, save for the flywheel and alternator. I just did a Duraspark II, HEI, and Carter YF conversion, so I'm good in that department.

My new motor has been sitting for a while, sealed and indoors, but I'm going to do new gaskets and rear main seal anyway. Then commence swapping her on in to my truck.

I've never done a 240 eingine swap before, though I've swapped several other motors in my time--Volvo, Landcruiser-6, Chevy-6, etc.

Curious if there are any tips, trick, pitfalls or obvious things I might want to know before I dive in? Every motor is different and the only dumb questions are the ones we don't ask!

Oh, and my truck has a 3-speed column-shift manual, if that's a factor...
Working on a '66 F100 with a '71 240 and the original three-on-the-tree...
bobenhotep
United States of America

Re: 240 install questions...

Post by bobenhotep »

A good "while yer in there" thing to do while you have it apart is replace the pilot bearing, just so you don't have to take it apart later to do it. It will be really easy to do if you are doing the main seal, it is right there. If you really hate taking stuff apart, another "while yer in there" is the freeze plug in the back of the engine, the one inside the bell housing. Other than that, it is AK47 simple to swap. I used ratchet straps and a cherry picker to do mine, so it can't be that difficult.

For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

Yeah, it looks about as easy as they come... That's why I asked: The road to hell is paved with my assumptions...

Any line on decent motor-mounts? Mine are beat and I've had some bad times with aftermarket mounts.
Working on a '66 F100 with a '71 240 and the original three-on-the-tree...
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

I think I got mine from rockauto, but I don't remember.
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

F100forever

Post by F100forever »

Make sure you have bothe the intake and exhaust machines to be sure they are flat.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Lacking a straight-edge of sufficient length, an easily obtained piece of key stock, the larger the better, makes a good substitute for flatness checks of mating surfaces.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

Take a look at my other posts on 300 engine mounts (same as 240). I've been having a heck of a time with replacements and there is some info there you might want to know about. If you still have the originals, hang on to them.....
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan