Disappointed in Dennis Carpenter Mirror

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

SC1966
United States of America

Disappointed in Dennis Carpenter Mirror

Post by SC1966 »

I ordered a new outside rear view mirror from Dennis Carpenter this past week. Their price was a little higher than some others but I've ordered from them before and everything always seemed top notch. Their website claims that the mirror is MADE IN THE USA from original Ford tooling. In fact this is the page from their site:

But when I opened the box, the mirror has a "Made in China" sticker on it!

The mirror does seem nice quality, but made in China is not exactly what they advertised. :(
skidoorulz
United States of America

Re: Disappointed in Dennis Carpenter Mirror

Post by skidoorulz »

That is bogus but just playing devils advocate here. That looks like the bracket, maybe the mirror is made in the U.S.?
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

I'd be looking into it either way! Interested to see what they say!
SC1966
United States of America

Post by SC1966 »

I tried to call them yesterday but it was after hours. I put the mirror on the truck and it looks good. Overall, it's very nice so I guess I'm really not that disappointed. I think it may just be the mount, but it's hard to tell. The casting on the stem looks very similar to the casting on the mount. I wonder if only the head might be made in the USA. Strange that Dennis Carpenter would get the mount from China when they are obviously capable of making this stuff here. Maybe I just got worked up over nothing.
62bigwindow
United States of America

Post by 62bigwindow »

I dont think parts that should be made in the USA instead of any low cost country is anything but big deal.It is getting far to common anymore.I will and have go out of the way to find either NOS,OEM, or USA made parts whenever I can.I fully believe if enough people complain it will eventually turn in our favor.OK I am done ranting now.With that said if you are happy with them then by all means use them.
Every day above ground is a good one
theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

I believe the mirror head is made by Carpenter and the stand parts are Chinese. The chrome is nice though ont the stand. I was more disappointed about the finish on the mirror head, there were hazy buffer marks all over- we had to finish polishing them before installing them.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

And that's why we don't sell them,, at one time they had them say FoMoCo, now I believe they say Ford and really think it's something to do with licensing from China,
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
White97

Post by White97 »

I bought a hood ornament off them, 'Made in China' chrome peeling off. They sent another one that was fine, but I wonder how long before it pits with sitting in the garage. Same order that had the throttle cable, installed it and it came all apart, guess where it was made? I took off the clips which is what was missing from my original and tossed the new DC one away.

:2cents: let DC sell to people in China rebuilding trucks.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
betfm
United States of America

Post by betfm »

I ordered a "chrome" Gas cap from Dennis Carpenter and it is a clear zinc plated item, no chrome in sight on the cap.

O well just another repop part that is not right.
"I just need a bigger hammer"

Ed

1961 F250 Unibody long bed ,(Under construction)
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

SC1966 wrote:I tried to call them yesterday but it was after hours. I put the mirror on the truck and it looks good. Overall, it's very nice so I guess I'm really not that disappointed. I think it may just be the mount, but it's hard to tell. The casting on the stem looks very similar to the casting on the mount. I wonder if only the head might be made in the USA. Strange that Dennis Carpenter would get the mount from China when they are obviously capable of making this stuff here. Maybe I just got worked up over nothing.

Don't let it go! Its not right. They used made in USA to sell you the part. That's what you should get.

Nic
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

This is sad. I have always been a fan of Dennis and knew him in years past. HIs business has gotten so big, and you know what happens when this becomes to unwieldy to watch everything. quality slips. I will pas along this information although I have doubts as to how much it will help, as he most likely has forgotten me. I do believe as a result of our complaints we can make a difference since we have many members and number count. Just remember that a lot of Fords parts are now coming out of China, especially chrome valve covers and things of that nature. Quality control used to be very good at Ford at one time and not so good at other times, but to be competitive in the aftermarket with things like valve covers it takes going to foreign companies.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

If you look at the individual parts on the DC website, only the head is indicated as Made in USA. So it probably is only the head. But it is misleading in any case and I would not just accept it. At least let them know that you are not satisfied.
Myself, I'd return it and if truly Made in USA is not available anywhere, I'd at least buy it from a source that is honest about the origin.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

I agree Ed on the gas cap, we got one in from DC and was in a Fram Box and was ugly . like you said no chrome in sight and like some parts we have found a source that made them for Ford and id away with ties from Ford but at least they are s/s
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
betfm
United States of America

Post by betfm »

6166 Junkyard Dog wrote:I agree Ed on the gas cap, we got one in from DC and was in a Fram Box and was ugly . like you said no chrome in sight and like some parts we have found a source that made them for Ford and id away with ties from Ford but at least they are s/s

Yeah, That is what they sent me. Ugly POS :evil: .

Tom, Thanks for the info--
Hey, I will call and order 1 from you, I still need it, I found a couple of used ones, but they are dented.
"I just need a bigger hammer"

Ed

1961 F250 Unibody long bed ,(Under construction)
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

If you're going to buy mirrors for your truck, get them from Tom at Flashback F100's end of story.
the ones he sells are first class, clear the vent window and the heads will not sag like all the others. I just put a set on Nadine and I'm a very happy camper.
U@ss

I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
White97

Post by White97 »

I bought the same gas cap off them, yep same order as bad throttle cable and peeling hood ornament. It eventually ended up the same pile as the throttle cable. They will never see another order from me.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed