Need a little carb diagnositic help/advice.....

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

slixtyfive
United States of America

Need a little carb diagnositic help/advice.....

Post by slixtyfive »

I have an idea on what to check but thought I'd post here in case someone else has already been down this path recently.

This is actually for my '67 but its an all original 352 so I'm sure some of you here can help me. I drove the truck to work one day this week (~30 mile trip, all highway with a couple stop signs along the way) and everything was fine until about a block from work and it started sputtering - pushed the clutch in, revved it up and it seemed to clear out and was fine for the short trip through the parking lot. Then when I left work, there were some new noises from under the hood that sounded like they might be exhaust leaks. As I ventured home, running a couple errands through the city (so several intersections for stop signs or lights), it ran fine under acceleration but would die every time I'd let off for one of the intersections. Managed to limp it home having to restart after every stop. I let it sit a couple days and then started it again to see what is going to do now - it starts fine, and idles fine with the choke out(high idle), but even after warming up, as soon as I push the choke in, it dies.....

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/pointers.
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
milomilo
United States of America

Re: Need a little carb diagnositic help/advice.....

Post by milomilo »

What carb do you have on it? If it will not idle without the choke on it is probably a plugged idle screw. You can clean them out sometimes by using carb cleaner and spraying through the hole after removing the idle adjustment screw.
Chris

64 F100 4X4 Styleside Wrong Bed
on a 74 chassis, 390, C6
A work in progress
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I failed to state that in my original post but I was thinking plugged idle screw also. Just thought I'd post here in case it might be something else so I'm 'prepared' before digging further into it.
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

Sounds like you might have developed a vacuum leak .