Frame rail ripples/waves?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

goldenage
United States of America

Frame rail ripples/waves?

Post by goldenage »

Hey all - so, took the angle grinder clean-and-strip wheel to my '66 F-100's frame yesterday, and noticed something on the top frame rail between cab mounts (above the transmission crossmember). Looks like the frame has a slight "ripple" or "wave" (see below)- I can't imagine that the 3m wheel could have done this (right?), so I'm assuming that this is a pre-existing condition. Is this a normal thing / should I be concerned?

The frame measures to be straight and square otherwise, with a bit of a list to one side in the rear that I had assumed to be a result of sagging leaf springs.

1966 F-100 longbed - Project Betsy
foodstick

Re: Frame rail ripples/waves?

Post by foodstick »

Thats not real unusual to see..
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Have you done any checking to see if the frame is bent?

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

should I be concerned? No in my opinion , that metal is so thick I can't see a problem Tom
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

My '65 has the same thing. I never thought anything of it - I think it's just a product of the process for forming the rails...
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
goldenage
United States of America

Post by goldenage »

Hey, thanks - those ripples were hiding under dirt and rust, and I wasn't sure what to make of them at first.

As far as the frame is concerned, I've measured in cross-patterns around the frame, and everything seems square. I used a level on the cross members near the bed area, and all of them show that the truck leans just a little to the driver's side, maybe 1/8" to 1/4" height difference between the two frame rails. No sign of bends or dents in the frame. Given that the sagging was on the driver's side where all of the extra weight usually is, I assumed that the coil or leaf springs might just need replacing. Is there another way to measure if the frame has been twisted?
1966 F-100 longbed - Project Betsy
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Have you tried 2 pieces of 4 x 2 timber and put them across opposite ends of the frame, then get down low and eye them to see if they are level with one another, but sounds like you don`t have a problem, welcome to the show by the way! :thumright:
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

slixtyfive wrote:My '65 has the same thing. I never thought anything of it - I think it's just a product of the process for forming the rails...

Noticed your comment on stupid. Reminded me of a friend of mines comment. " What's the sense in being stupid if you can't show it once in awhile." Personally, I believe we all have our moments. :oops:

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

Yeah, I'd agree that we all have moments.

That is Roger Radley's catch phrase so to speak. He's a comedian with a whole segment on how society has changed in a manner that protects people who do stupid things from 'feeling the effects' of their actions. The phrase is basically saying that without that 'pain' we don't learn our lessons and continue to do the same stupid things over and over.
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan