65 cab + 1977 SWB Stepside 4X4?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mellvis

65 cab + 1977 SWB Stepside 4X4?

Post by Mellvis »

Decisions decisions! I posted my spare, mostly rust free cab for sale. I also posted my 1991 Mustang LX project for sale. As luck would have it, a local freind wants to trade a 77 F100 4X4 for the Stang. The idea of trading and putting the 65 cab on the 77 chassis is intriguing me. The 77 has rust in the cab, a 400 modified (he says and I don't know about them. I know its not an FE!), an auto trans, short stepside bed. I would need a dog house as I only have a cab. Just a quick checklist, how big of a job is the conversion? I know the later long wheel base chassis leave about a 4 inch space between the bed and cab but does the short wheelbase? I would be using the 77 bed. I don't have a steering column for the 65 cab. Is the 77 column a bolt in? I'm sure the breaks would basically fall into place, right?

So, ideas?????
1965 F100 "Papaw's Pride"

"So I'm working on a cistern inlet valve and the guy hands me a lock nut wrench! I was like 'What is this, a drainpipe slipknot!'" -Flo
simonscr
United States of America

Re: 65 cab + 1977 SWB Stepside 4X4?

Post by simonscr »

Anthony's truck build I believe was on a mid 70's 4x4 chassis. You might look over his build pages.

Not positive on this, but some where I think I read that the latter chassis are a little wider than the 65 chassis, so one may have to redo body mounts on the frame.

I like the project Idea, If I was in your shoes, I would seriously consider it! :)
Simon

65 f 100

56 willys m38a1 SOLD ( Have had since high school )
Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

rad support and cab mounts are a direct match. Spot welds on the 77 steering column bracket need to be drilled out and moved a few inches. Depending on the size of the trans hump from your 65 you may need to use a bit of a body lift to clear the transmission. Offhand I do not know the wheelbases for swb trucks but the bed would be the same one that would have came with the 65. It would look really good and the swap is a natural. If I was faced with this issue, especially with a 4x4, I wouldnt think twice. Good luck.
Mark

Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

So basically it's just point and shoot? Would a one inch body lift clear all of the problem areas AND would it interfere with steering column angle and such? This is still in the "maybe" stage and depends on if I trade my tired little Mustang for the 77 4X4. I knew the truck 20 years ago but haven't seen it up close since then. It was nice then, but I see what 20 years has done to me so I can imagine what t has done to the truck! Thanks for all of the information, it kind of makes me want to jump at it!
1965 F100 "Papaw's Pride"

"So I'm working on a cistern inlet valve and the guy hands me a lock nut wrench! I was like 'What is this, a drainpipe slipknot!'" -Flo
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

I think that they hit everything.. the "U" shaped mount to the bottom of the dash needs moved, and it works great.. the cab and front clip are a direct bolt on for the 65 and 66 flat floor pan trucks.there is a difference in the LWB's and it will be a wider gap unless you move your rear forward 3-4 inches but I believe that the SWB's are the same and shouldn't leave a wider gap. check out my pics for reference and I wish you luck, we need more 4X4's!!! :mrgreen: here are some column pics and a couple of the sides... the gap is more noticeable straight on...

Image Image
Image Image