Different steering wheel for p/s

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

66camperspecial

Different steering wheel for p/s

Post by 66camperspecial »

I have the original steering wheel on my 66 and it originally came with out p/s and wondering if a slightly smaller version was made for p/s now that it has p/s.
bruceandersson

Re: Different steering wheel for p/s

Post by bruceandersson »

I think there was only one size wheel. The one that is in the wrong place and too big for comfort. I've always shortened the steering shaft and columns to move the wheel closer to the dash, but they are still too large. Without PS this position is good because you get more leverage on the wheel when its closer to your body. I've wondered if a mustang wheel would be smaller and at least be period correct. Someone manufactured an exact smaller wheel for 56 and 57 thunderbirds, they are expensive, but would be cool to have the same look and horn setup.
66camperspecial

Post by 66camperspecial »

I was hoping there was a slightly smaller wheel.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I don't know if your CS is a F100 or F250. There were in fact two wheels , a too-large 3 spoke 17", and a even-larger 4 spoke 18". I've never seen the 4 spoke on an F100; I have seen both applications on F250's.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
tomsrod
United States of America

Post by tomsrod »

The larger, four-spoke steering wheel was on 61-66 F250 4x4s, 61-65 F100 4x4s and all 61-66 F350 and above. As far as I know, all other 61-66 Ford trucks had the same, smaller wheel regardless of manual or power steering.