Firewall disconnect for main power wire

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

charliemccraney

Firewall disconnect for main power wire

Post by charliemccraney »

My rewire project is my next major project to get started. The fuse panel will be under the dash not far from the location of the stock panel/headlight switch. I haven't figured out how I want to handle the main wire from the battery to the panel. I'd prefer to have some sort of disconnect so I can keep the harness inside the truck entirely separate from the harness outside the truck and to make any future trouble shooting or modifications easier. I haven't really found anything to do that.

One thing I have seen but can't find anywhere to buy is a connector on a friend's Dodge Aspen. It plugs into a lead from the battery cable and looks like it is an 8 or 10 gauge wire (could also be a thin wire with thick insulation which won't work). I really haven't noticed anything else in the junk yards, and most newer vehicles have the fuses under the hood, anyway.

What have you guys done for that?
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
bobenhotep
United States of America

Re: Firewall disconnect for main power wire

Post by bobenhotep »

I have some 10 gauge plugs that look like 2 pin trailer plugs, with two 10 gauge wires, one black and one red. If I was going to do what you are talking about, I would use one of those, which would give you two 10 gauge wires, for a total of about 60 amps capacity. I will look in my shop and see if I have one handy for picture taking.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

charliemccraney

This picture looks like it has a part of what I'm talking about on the Aspen. The white part on the shorter heavy gauge wire looks like the terminal I'm talking about. It is a 6 awg wire according to the description which would be more than adequate. The cable is used on all sorts of vehicles from the late 70s to the early 90s but I cannot seem to find a pigtail or terminals to make my own anywhere.

Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

http://www.delcity.net/

might try these guys I bought stuff to make my 1/0 battery cables for my jeep

Danny
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

You could use a power plug for an electric trolling motor.
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Don't have any at home and don't know the correct name, but the connectors used by NASCAR go up to at least 8AWG and should be readily available in your part of the world. I haven't checked lately, but the harnesses used to show up frequently on eBay. They are probably made by Weather Pack, but don't know the proper term.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

I posted something like this in the hints and tricks section, but take a look. You probably can't overload a single 10 gauge wire with your harness no matter what you add on.
The only caveat is the power for an amplifier. And you need an inline 100+ amp fuse inline from the battery directly to the amp.
As far as the connector goes, go to West Marine (or any marine dealer) and dig around with what they have. And most all if it is waterproof.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/12-volt-wire-gauge-amps.htm
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
charliemccraney

I've tried Delcity and other places that provide automotive electrical parts.

Trolling motor plugs are close but don't seem to have the current capacity I'd like.

Paul, please find out what they are called if you can. I tried nascar wire harness, nascar wire harness connector, nascar electrical connector, nascar electrical plug, and don't see anything that looks like it will do the job.

Marine stuff doesn't seem to be any different, other than being watertight.

I guess people must not generally do that if it is so hard to find.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Charlie, my memory returns in spurts! I may have some of the inline ones left at the shop, but here's a source for the flange mount setup: http://www.deutschconnector.com/product ... -L013-Asy/
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
charliemccraney

Thanks, Paul. That looks like it will work great.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody