"Heater-Core Drip"

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Shadow

"Heater-Core Drip"

Post by Shadow »

I Noticed A Drop Of Coolant In My Cab Yesterday. I Felt Around Back Behind My Heater And There Was A Little Dampness Around The Firewall. I Pulled The Battery-Tray And Checked The Tension On The Hose Clamps Hoping That Was The Cause Of The Drip. Do These Heater Cores Typically Spring A Leak Where The Lines Run Through The Firewall, Or On The Seams? My Truck Is A 64' And I'm Aware These Aren't Re-Popped. I Will Be Grabbing Another Core Next Time I Go To The Slick Graveyard. The Truck Is Running Perfectly And The Heater Core Was The Last Thing I Was Expecting To Have Problems With :)......................
Toyz
United States of America

Re: "Heater-Core Drip"

Post by Toyz »

I don't know if you pulled the hoses to check, but the tubes on the cores frequently deteriorate at the hose connection.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Toyz wrote:I don't know if you pulled the hoses to check, but the tubes on the cores frequently deteriorate at the hose connection.
Paul
Thanks Paul, I'm Going To Drive The Truck Today & See If There Is Still A Drip. The Hoses Were Pulled Back Across The Y-Block With Bungee Cords When Replacing The Inner-Fenders & Core Support So I Thought I'd Try Tightening The Connections................
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

Since it is getting closer to Summer, you can simply remove the hoses and plug the engine block water pump etc. You won't have a defroster either for a while. Then you can remove the heater box from the inside of the cab and the heater core. Pretty easy I think especially compared to some new car!!
Then try to find a shop nearby that rebuilds radiators and have your core resoldered if possible. you can obviously check for any other signs of leaks as suggested in earlier posts.
You'll want to stop the antifreeze going to that location ASAP as it gets in behind the firewall insulation and the smell takes waaaay too long to go away.

Hope your lucky and its just the hose at the firewall.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

I Think I Really Lucked Out. I Drove The Truck Quite A Ways Yesterday & No Drips. Luckily I Tore Out The Moldy & Rotten Firewall Pad A While Back To Paint So No Lingering Stench Of Coolant.......