My yearly rant

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Uncle Skip
United States of America

My yearly rant

Post by Uncle Skip »

Its time for my yearly rant about colon cancer.
If you're offended by references to bodily functions or graphic descriptions, tune out now.
I am currently happily celebrating my 12th year of remission from being diagnosed and treated for stage 4 colon cancer. The oncologist said that if I'd waited 6 more weeks, I'd have assumed room temperature in the next six months.
The good news, I survived. The bad news, I have to wear a colostomy bag on my belly for the rest of my life because I was stupid and didn't do what I'm warning you to do.
If you're 45 years old and have never had a colonoscopy, go get your ass checked. I had warning signs that I ignored for almost 5 years because I didn't "want" to face the reality that I might have had a problem.
Dark spots in my stool. (That means black fucking spots in your shit. Trust me, you can tell what it is when you see it.)
Some times I didn't have them, most times I did. Colon cancer gives you no real warning except for that one obscure hint. No pain, no problems with bowel movements or anything else until it is to late.
Inside, I knew - but I didn't want to know. Being a coward almost killed me.
Trust me, even though they give you meds that make you shit thru a screen door and you never touch a wire, it's better than the problem you might have.
You need a colonoscopy and you need it now.
I was lucky, another 6 weeks and I wouldn't be here now.
If you delay, you might not be so lucky. (And the treatments were not pleasant. Trust me.)
I'd like to know that this message saved at least one person from a needless death from a completely treatable disease.
Besides, the drugs they give you for the exam are awesome.
Please folks, go get scoped.
My name is Uncle Skip and I'm a lucky survivor of colon cancer.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Truckrat
United States of America

Re: My yearly rant

Post by Truckrat »

I totally agree Skip. Had mine in 2011 and it was easy as pie.
Doc said I was ''clean'' and knowing Unc like I do and what he has gone
through, believe me, it is a cakewalk to get it done. My wife had hers
last year and we both breathe easier knowing we are both good to go.
Do yourselves a big favor and get it done. You will be glad you did. TR
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Skip,
Next week I'll be 64,the VA has given me two colon exams with the scope,so far everything looks good.First time the doctor removed a couple polyps,but nothing bad showed up.Thought that's killed
Frank Zappa,he went out with prostate cancer.Either way you guys need to take Skips rant as a warning take care of yourself's
Dan
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

My wifes brother is pushing up daisies because he refused to get an exam.
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

I'm glad you posted this, Skip! We've never met, but congrats on your success anyway!

Personally, I've had several colonoscopies in my life: Quick and painless, and the person performing the test is invariably a professional who's done it many, many times before and couldn't care less about seeing a bare ass.

I'm 40, but have suffered numerous traumatic injuries--including one that required a left kidney rebuild--so the doc keeps an eye on all parts of my plumbing, and I'm grateful for it. Aside from regular check-ups, I eat a very healthy diet largely based on grains and vegetables, drink plenty of water, and get a lot of exercise--running, rock-climbing, hiking, snowboarding, mountaineering, bicycling, gardening, and last but furthest from least, wrenching!

It's never too late to eat better and move more. A sedentary lifestyle and a diet high in sugars and fats will kill as surely as a bullet.
Working on a '66 F100 with a '71 240 and the original three-on-the-tree...
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Everybody should listen to Skip and get checked. The colonoscopy isn't as bad as people think that it is. It is just the thought of what they are doing that people don't like.
Having had a temporary colostomy bag, I can understand what Skip is saying and you really don't want to go there unless you absolutely have to. As a lot you know, mine was from a surgery problem from diverticulitis that ended in the temporary colostomy bag. I was lucky and was able to have it reversed.
I am due again in about 3 years for my next colonoscopy and I can guarantee that I will be in getting checked.
Give em HELL Skip, they will pay attention. I can really appreciate your yearly rant now.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
FORDMANLCRACKEL
United States of America

Post by FORDMANLCRACKEL »

I lost a friend from colon cancer 10 years ago. So two months after his death i thought i might need to get checked. My first visit i had 5 polyps, 2 were precancer stage. All were removed. I was 52 at the time. I'm 62 now, I wouldn't be here now if i had not gone. I have one done every 2 to 3 years. The Dr. sends me a notice when i need to go. Like Skip said i get my ass in gear Bolt.gif and get checked. Don't forget what Skip said also...... Damn good drugs. The sad part about my story is i have lost a friend 2 years ago just because she had no insurance. It is preventable and treatable ya just need to go.

Congrats. on 12 years Skip.

Lonnie
The most rewarding job i ever had was being a dad.
1988 Ranger Build http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... %20RANGER/
White97

Post by White97 »

Congrats on beating it. Runs in my family so I go every three years like clockwork.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

I got mine checked 1 1/2 years ago, all I remember is counting down from 10 to ? and then woke up in recovery asking Kathy where was I ? is it over since did not know all checked out good,,, Great advice Uncle Skip
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

A subject no one wants to deal with ,and the great american male is immune to.
Its good to have a voice, unafraid to shout it out. I have been having regular exams since my late fourties because of a glitchy stomache. Skip and others are right, its no big deal to avoid a real bad situation
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

Had mine done a couple of years ago and every thing was ok. my dad had colon cancer,so the doc watches me a little closer. Dad was lucky, he had symtoms for several months before he went to the doc. He died seven years later,but not from cancer.
The wife just made an appointment for next week for herself.
jwh f-100
United States of America

Post by jwh f-100 »

This should be a sticky!!!!!!!!

It is great to see that there are still people out there that care enough to warn, for the most part, strangers of something like this..

I lost a grandmother to this. She was quite young.

I'm also 40. And I will not hesitate to get this done.. My boy is 11.. I want to be around for a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jason

Beer will change the world.

I don't know how but it will.
wellcoman

Post by wellcoman »

I get mine done every 3 years. easy as it can be
jeepbut
United States of America

Post by jeepbut »

July 7th is my next one. Had first on at 45. I am 58 now. They always find polyps when I have it done. They claim a polyp takes between 5 and 10 years to develop into colon cancer. I would probably be dead by now if I had never had one done. Thanks, Lyman.
douglloyd

Post by douglloyd »

Skip is right, it is the right thing to do. I didn't want to go through this, but my mom insisted. "Go get your tonsils checked from the far end" was how she put it. And yes, the prep for the process will leave you clean as a whistle at both ends.

Go ahead, put up with all the jokes you will hear from your buddies, and know that when YOU do this, it gives them the encouragement to also go in for the checkup.

Doug in east TN
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Also don`t forget the Family jewels, another killer of men and that other rear examination we all hate!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

Having it checked now is a lot nicer than having it kill you later. If you develop colon cancer, the doc and a lot of his buddies are going to be putting all sorts of things in there, every chance they get.
Working on a '66 F100 with a '71 240 and the original three-on-the-tree...
mercman64
United States of America

Post by mercman64 »

Thanks Skip !
Mom got colon cancer and had her bowel resectioned....that was 12 years ago.....she was after all (3) of her children to get screened....so, being the good son , my first one was before I was 50...doc clipped a few polyps, so I'll get screened every couple of years now....next Friday I'm scheduled for the south end.....just good preventative medicine .....thanks for your encouragement Skip !.......
1964 Mercury Monterey Convertible
1962 F100 unibody LWB BBW "Show Truck"
1966 F100 short box "daily driver"
1963 F100 unibody "project truck"
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T
Hazdri
United States of America

Post by Hazdri »

Thanks for the post.
olliesshop
United States of America