Dual exhaust advice needed.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

tomrooster
United States of America

Re: Dual exhaust advice needed.

Post by tomrooster »

Only cost a little over 100 and 75 for the tailpipes but I had the mufflers. I hope you get the idea about the tailpipes. Tom
Last edited by tomrooster on July 4, 2014, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

You could go with something like this:

With some pre-formed mandrel bends you could make a nice smooth path into the muffler, then dump just in front of the axle. That style of muffler should kill some rasp and drone, and if it's still too loud you could possibly go from the muffler into straight-through resonators, then out the side. Provided there's room of course. If not, you could try some resonated tips.
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

I like that idea, Big M!
Working on a '66 F100 with a '71 240 and the original three-on-the-tree...
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I buy a box of bends from Speedway Motors before each exhaust build. You get all kinds of bends, angles and lengths in a box. All you do is decide what diameter and you will get a pile of bent tubes. All bends are mandrel so you can splice in the middle of a bend easier.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
truckster

Post by truckster »

Whatever you do don't go with those tin can sounding flowmasters. Brockman mufflers are high quality and made by one guy in Michigan. Give him a look for mufflers
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Oregoon wrote:I like that idea, Big M!

Not really sure how much it would lower the overall sound level as I don't have any direct experience with them, but looks like something worth looking in to at any rate.
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

I've been contemplating this same topic for my '65 with 300 lately.

I actually have a complete used (but almost new) dual exhaust with 30" glass pack type mufflers from a long bed bump that was cut off just behind the 302 manifolds and extends straight out the back under the rear bumper. It will obviously need some cutting and welding to work on my 300 but i'm thinking I should be able to make it work without buying anything or at least not buying much. I am curious, however if anyone has experience with how the long GP type mufflers will sound on the 300?

One thing to keep in mind is that with both exhaust pipes on the passenger side of the engine, exiting one pipe to each side in front of the rear wheels gets a little tricky depending on the ride height etc..... I'm sure it can probably be done but you will need to make sure you clear the driveshaft. Or if you want both exiting in front of the passenger rear wheel, that will be no problem.
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

The exit-strategy is indeed a consideration... I'm partial to the both-sides scenario, though the same-side method will be whole lot less hassle.

Ride height is currently stock with no plans to drop it. While I love lowered trucks, they don't work with my needs. If anything, I could see a 4x4 conversion being more likely than a clip and a c-notch.

That said, low-hanging exhausts are easy to tear off in the woods, so same-side discharge is more likely.

And if I go that route, it's worth considering a Y-pipe into 3" tubing and a single low-restriction muffler.
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Oregoon wrote:
1965fordf100 wrote:$300 ain't bad at all for shop to build that exhaust for you...I paid $800 for a custom dual from manifolds back with and h-pipe and exit in front of rear wheels...and I supplied the mufflers...but I think I got ripped off a bit too

I agree. I'm just interested in doing it myself because aside from advice I've received here, and the occasional helping hand from a friend, nobody's touched my truck but me. I'm hoping to build this 100% myself--I have access to a paint-booth, commercial upholstery sewing machine, alignment rack, etc... People often talk about "traditional hot-rods," and I'm hoping to stick to the truest definition of that theme: 100% owner-built. Not a rat-rod, but a finished truck that I've done with my own two hands.

It's all a learning pricess. I figure it'll take awhile... :D

I applaud the "100% owner built" truck...but one thing I've learned in the 7 years of building my truck is that something's aren't worth the headache and mess in your garage. Only thing not done by myself on my truck is exhaust and body and paint...hopefully those things being farmed out doesn't kill appreciation of hard work put in over the years to build it...
Phil
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

1965fordf100 wrote:Only thing not done by myself on my truck is exhaust and body and paint...hopefully those things being farmed out doesn't kill appreciation of hard work put in over the years to build it...

Not remotely! I appreciate everyone's build, regardless of what they choose to farm out to the pros. It's still your truck, the way you want it, right?

Put it this way: I'm that guy at the car show talking to the tuner crowd, the 'eighties pro-street guys, the rat rodders, the dune-buggy dudes, the old guys with the Model-Ts, the muscle car crowd, the bed-dancer mini-truckers, etc... If it's got wheels and it's been customized, I want to hear all about it and give it a good long look. Even if it's not my personal style, it doesn't mean I'm not interested in it. I'm less interested in who built it than I am in the owner's enthusiasm for their project and the time and care they've spent on their vehicle.

One downside (in my opinion) of the surge in popularity of traditionals, rat-rods, etc, is the 'built-not-bought' phonomenon. I respect the idea, but I think it really limits people and projects. I'm going to try and do everything myself because I get a lot out of tinkering with my truck, but I'll be the first to send something out if I'm making a mess of it. And I'm sure I will.

After all, the most beautiful cars and trucks virtually always have benefitted from the work of a variety of professionals. The sum being greater than the parts, and so on...
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Oregoon wrote:
1965fordf100 wrote:Only thing not done by myself on my truck is exhaust and body and paint...hopefully those things being farmed out doesn't kill appreciation of hard work put in over the years to build it...

Not remotely! I appreciate everyone's build, regardless of what they choose to farm out to the pros. It's still your truck, the way you want it, right?

Put it this way: I'm that guy at the car show talking to the tuner crowd, the 'eighties pro-street guys, the rat rodders, the dune-buggy dudes, the old guys with the Model-Ts, the muscle car crowd, the bed-dancer mini-truckers, etc... If it's got wheels and it's been customized, I want to hear all about it and give it a good long look. Even if it's not my personal style, it doesn't mean I'm not interested in it. I'm less interested in who built it than I am in the owner's enthusiasm for their project and the time and care they've spent on their vehicle.

One downside (in my opinion) of the surge in popularity of traditionals, rat-rods, etc, is the 'built-not-bought' phonomenon. I respect the idea, but I think it really limits people and projects. I'm going to try and do everything myself because I get a lot out of tinkering with my truck, but I'll be the first to send something out if I'm making a mess of it. And I'm sure I will.

After all, the most beautiful cars and trucks virtually always have benefitted from the work of a variety of professionals. The sum being greater than the parts, and so on...

I agree with you 100%!
Phil
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Oregoon wrote:

Right on. :thumright: