Heartland Nationals, Des Moines

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

graybeard
United States of America

Heartland Nationals, Des Moines

Post by graybeard »

This past weekend my 16 year old grandson & I made the drive to the one Good Guys event I enjoy the most, The Heartland Nationals. The Des Moines Iowa State Fairgrounds is beautiful! Large shade trees, benches and beer gardens or tents everywhere you look. Slick representation has reached a new level for fit, finish and interesting power plants. There was a very well restored Holly Green '66 SW six cyl. (VERY CLEAN). Several hundred yards away, another '66 SW sported custom mixed green paint (trying to match the Bullit Mustang color) it was powered by a Chrysler Hemi. Next to it was another SW FE SOHC powered slick, I was so over powered by the cammer we failed to record what year it was in. Also out for display was a museum quality '66 custom camper coach, not a one ton. The owner claimed this camper spent most of it's time in one warehouse or another, it looked it. Point of interest, four years earlier I only remember seeing one daily driver slick at this event. The grandson took 723 pictures, he's going to edit them and put them on a disc for me, if I understand him we'll be able to watch them on TV. LIFE IS GOOD!
If you can't run with the big dogs "STAY UNDER THE PORCH" !!!!!
LM14
United States of America

Re: Heartland Nationals, Des Moines

Post by LM14 »

It is a good facility for that event. We didn't make it this year. I noticed several slicks last year and took a few ideas home with me then. We'll look for you next year.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

What color was the Cammer powered one? Black and White?

I think my friend saw the camper somewhere on the roads around town.
cars2cool

Post by cars2cool »

The SOHC powered slick was a white one. I was parked a little farther up Grand Ave. behind him with my '56 big window on friday. On saturday I arrived after noon and parked on the grass next to the entrance with some other people from Sioux City. Had a great time on both days, had my blood pressure checked on monday morning for my checkup- it was way low that means I had a great long weekend. Looking forward to next year and having my next project done, the '30 Model A pickup.
'31 Model A pickup, '55 F100 Yblock w/fordamatic, '56 F100 6cyl. 3 spd. BBW my first pickup bought when I was 13 in 1974, '77 Lincoln Town Car with 64,000 original miles For Sale
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

wish I had known so many from this group were going to be there as I was only about 6 blocks away working on one of our rental houses all weekend. We usually dont attend GoodGuys but maybe next year I might cave and attend
There are some Days I should not be let to go into the public without adult supervision