T-5 behind a FE

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Kid
United States of America

T-5 behind a FE

Post by Kid »

What do I need to do this swap and is it even possible
There are some Days I should not be let to go into the public without adult supervision
graybeard
United States of America

Re: T-5 behind a FE

Post by graybeard »

I think I've seen a scatter shield type bellhousing that would accept a T5 and FE in a Summit catalog. Where it would locate the shifter is another story.
If you can't run with the big dogs "STAY UNDER THE PORCH" !!!!!
Nathan390
United States of America

Post by Nathan390 »

Not sure a t5 would be very happy behind a Fe motor..

But I'm interested to hear if it can be done.
Nathan Cooper,
1965 slick f100 4*4
1963.5 falcon sprint
1963 falcon squire wagon
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
rbeck204
United States of America

Post by rbeck204 »

I've heard the T5 shifter can be found in different locations depending on the donor car or truck. I believe the S10 version had the shifter forward enough to work in a slick. Don't hold me to it though. Just what my foggy memory recalled.
Rich
61 T Bird Convertible
1953 Ford Customline 2 door
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Rich: The Tremec versions have higher torque ratings (compared to most of the OEM versions), and you can see in the pic at least three locaions for the shift tower (and there may be variations on placement as well?)

There are plenty of aftermarket outfits seling upgraded parts, ASTRO is one of them.....
http://www.astroperformance.com/

TREMEC TKO

http://www.tremec.com/menu.php?m=103
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

It can be done for sure. LM14 will probably chime in here soon as his truck that he just sold/traded had this set up.
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Nice to know it has after market options. anyone have a price? I don't need giving out my info until I am willing to buy.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Mine had a T-5 from a Mustang behind a 352. All he told me he changed was the tranny and used a Wilcap adaptor. Since I didn't do the work, all I can do is relay what Ron told me when we traded trucks. I specifically asked about the parts used for future repairs.

He told me they bolted on the adaptor and then the tranny and kept all the 352 3 speed stuff intact. When I asked what I would need for repair parts he said everything was stock 3523 speed except the adaptor plate and the T-5. Stock clutch, PP, TO Brg, etc. He said they had to use a 3 speed bell with the Wilcap piece.

http://www.wilcap.com/webdoc8.html

He said they used a junkyard T-5 he had and slapped it together just to try it out. The junkyard T-5 wanted to jump out of (I think) 3rd gear and didn't have any syncros left, but he saw the potential of the setup so he sent a T-5 to The Mustang Shop in Texas to be completely rebuilt. They put heavy duty bushings/bearings in to make it live behind the "big block" but otherwise it was stock.

I don't think it would stand up to drag strips every weekend but it was beat on a fair amount and never complained. Remember mine was behind a 352-2V and wasn't a very powerful engine.

It drove great, got 17MPG going down the interstate at 70mph and only turned 2000RPM doing it.

Call Wilcap and talk to them, it couldn't be much easier according to the guy that actually did the work on mine.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
graybeard
United States of America

Post by graybeard »

How was the shifter location, would it have been in front of a bench seat? Thanks!
If you can't run with the big dogs "STAY UNDER THE PORCH" !!!!!
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I used a Hurst shifter handle. The stock location actually headed to the left somewhat and 4th/reverse you would grab the passenger's knee if you weren't careful (not a bad plan but you have to have the right passenger for it to work to your advantage).

I picked the handle I wanted to get the height and rearward placement I wanted then clamped it in a vise, heated it just above the bolt holes and bent it over a couple inches. That put the ball right where I wanted it. The heated area was just below the boot so you couldn't see it.

Hurst sells many different handle shapes. They bolt in with a couple 3/8" bolts. I also used ny-lock nuts to keep them from vibrating loose. The Mustang uses a metric bolt and the difference in holes allows a small bit of further adjustment as you tighten things down. My stick is pushed forward after the bottom bolt was tightened making it move an inch or so further forward at the ball.

http://www.hurst-shifters.com/stick-dia ... id-charts/

Just scroll down to "Hurst Current Stick Diagram" and click on the picture of sticks to open a PDF file with al the current shifter options. Once I found what I wanted, I went to Summit/Jegs and searched the part number to compare prices. Summit won. I think I used 538-7236 if I remember correctly. Look at numbers 538-8550 and 538-8620 if you want to move the stick further forward. To get the same location as mine but a bit taller, just go to number 538-6900 or 538-4331.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!