welp

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

therealjoeshmoe

welp

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

not alot done to my truck this weekend. i did finally get the front hubs done, got the new rubber brake lines install on the wheel cylinders. cleaned up the king pin caps that go on top and bottom of the spindle and installed brand new grease zirks.. ive put new king pins, new keeper bolts, new brake pads, all new brake hardware, new bearings and seal in the front.. now if my new rear emergency brake cables will hurry up and get here Ill be able to install the rear axles and brakes.. then it will be a rolling chassis again.. been doing a little more work to the bottom of the cab as well. grindings my nasty welds down and trying to make them more presentable.. anyone got any hints or tricks when it comes to flareing brake lines?? i practiced on some old brake line and did pretty good.. and any tips on bending the line? i figure ill ask before i screw it up this time lol :oops:

on a side note.. got 352?

lol

Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
bruceandersson

Re: welp

Post by bruceandersson »

Flaring brake lines can be interesting, especially if the tool use is not very good. I don't think you need the $500 hydraulic model, but it is worth a little extra to get a good tool that will last for more than a few flares. Outside of the tool, you need to make sure the tubing is cut perpendicular to the axis and the inside of the tube is reamed a little to clear any burrs. Use copper-nickel tubing as it will keep its finish and is much more malleable than stainless. The bending takes a little practice, use a tool to keep the tubing from collapsing at the bend.
therealjoeshmoe

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. IM THINKING I SHOULD HAVE JUST BOUGHT THE PRE MADE LINES.. LOL

Image Image Image Image
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Yeah A Good Flaring Tool Is A Must! Those Harbor-Freight Flaring Tools Are Garbage. The Pot-Metal Wing-Nuts Will Snap Off Before You Get Them Cinched Tight Enough. I Borrowed My Friends "Matco" Flaring Tool And Cranked The Wing-Nuts Down With A Small Pry-Bar. No Slippage Whatsoever And Not One Flare Turned Out Bad. A Local Parts Stores Will Probably Lend You A Decent One...........
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

Joe,lube the flaring tool where it meets the tubing. Tom
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
therealjoeshmoe

OK THANKS TOM!

Image Image Image Image
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Joe, practise on some old tube with the bender and put reference marks on it before you bend so you can get an idea of the creep on the bender and how much you need to allow for the centre of the bend and the back of the bend..
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
therealjoeshmoe

you da man alan.. ill put a little shrimp on the barbie, maybe ill have a good day mate.. lmao

Image Image Image Image
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:D Joe you do know we don`t call them Shrimp, we call them prawns, they changed it to shrimp so the Americans would know what he meant... so the story goes, let us know how the tube bending goes mate!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif