Head Liner

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

j66b
United States of America

Head Liner

Post by j66b »

I recently had the bench seat of my 66F100 rebuilt, and had a firmer bench built. I sit a bit higher now, which I like. Unfortunately, the head liner which is above the rear window hits me in the back of my head. I'm 6'3. Could one of you kind folks out there please give me a heads up on what's behind there which might prevent me from removing it? Thanks, J66b.
Toyz
United States of America

Re: Head Liner

Post by Toyz »

You will gain a little room with the section above the window removed. There is a protruding body seam there, but it probably is not in the area of interference.I should have a pic available once I get home.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
j66b
United States of America

Post by j66b »

Thanks for the reply. Any ideas on how to make it look good and still have head room? J66b
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I had to go out and check my '65. I'm 6'1" and have a '79 seat in this truck. Graybeard's fiberglass headliners do seem to allow a bit more clearance, to the point of having several inches between my head and the 'liner, compared to the factory setup which put the headliner just fractions from the back of my head. I would expect the rake of the seat back to also affect this; I still have the gas tank inside, so my seat back is a little more erect than those on my other trucks.
One might be able to heat and bend a piece of ABS or similar material to maximize the clearance while retaining the other headliner components.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul