Strange ticking noise.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Oregoon

Strange ticking noise.

Post by Oregoon »

Trying to diagnose what sounds like rocker-arm noise on the '71 240 in my '66 F100.

Cold, there's no noise and the motor runs fine.

After driving for a while, the motor develops a loud tick-tick-tick noise though still runs fine.

I've adjusted the valves hot and running while the noise is present, and the noise goes away after I adjust them. #5 intake seems to be the culpirt, though #2 exhaust occasionally makes some noise.

After driving 25 miles or so, the ticking is back. At times, when the engine is warmed up, the noise is louder than other times--also when the engine is warmed up. Occasionally, it's downright alarming. Usally, it's just a persistent tick-tick-tick.

Bad lifter maybe? Exhaust leak? Hope it's not a rod knock. If it was a rod knock, I assume it'd be present when cold. When cold, it never makes a peep.

I went to the machine shop and picked up some new swedged rocker-arm nuts, and will pop them in when time allows. Just wondered if anyone else has ever encountered anything like this?
Working on a '66 F100 with a '71 240 and the original three-on-the-tree...
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: Strange ticking noise.

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

exhaust leak is possible and many exhaust leaks are misdiagnosed as internal engine problems.

weak lifter, warmer it gets,less its pumped up. although i wonder why it does not leak down when resting overnight resulting in noise on startup.

i would start with an investigation of the exhaust.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

on a similar note, my 292, I had rebuilt, is quiet when cold and has an alarming smack on one cyl when warmed up. It is not exhaust, and the old timer that rebuilt it for me is no longer around...or at least no one answers the phone. I am planning to R and R it this comming weekend with the one I bought out of Troy New York five years ago. I guess I will have to figure out the problem with it or take it down to Tim McMaster.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

I had a similar problem a few years back and it turned out to be a wrist pin . No noise when it was cold but as soon as it got hot you heard it. Tom
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
therealjoeshmoe

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

i had the same problem it was a fuel pump
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
William-in-St George

Post by William-in-St George »

Take a couple of feet of garden hose, put one end near the exhaust and listen at the other. This method will help you locate the noise. When it is making lots of noise and after you have tried the hose trick, use a wooden dowel or a chunk of broom handle and listen by placing one end on the rocker cover and the other on your ear. After you have eliminated exhaust leak and located the cylinder that is clacking disconnect the plug wire on that cylinder and see if the noise changes. Post back. These are always interesting stories.
William-in-St. George
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

William-in-St George wrote:Take a couple of feet of garden hose, put one end near the exhaust and listen at the other. This method will help you locate the noise. When it is making lots of noise and after you have tried the hose trick, use a wooden dowel or a chunk of broom handle and listen by placing one end on the rocker cover and the other on your ear. After you have eliminated exhaust leak and located the cylinder that is clacking disconnect the plug wire on that cylinder and see if the noise changes. Post back. These are always interesting stories.

Will do! Where do I listen to the exhaust? I assume you mean at the manifold? I have a stethoscope, by the way. My buddy is a doctoral candidate and swiped one for me.
ras4434
United States of America

Post by ras4434 »

I had a bad lifter after rebuilding. Same symptoms as you describe. When cold no problem after warming up hear it. I stop the rig and let it sit for an hour or so and it was gone. Had to replace a lifter and no problem. Seems once it was pumped up it wouldn't stay.
Ross Swearingen
1965 F100 "MIKI"
1965 F100 4x4 looking for a new home
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Do you have an oil pressure gauge on the truck? A lot of oils lose their viscosity as they warm up. Try a change to 20/50 Castrol and see if it helps. This will hold pressure as the engine warms.
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

ras4434 wrote:I had a bad lifter after rebuilding. Same symptoms as you describe. When cold no problem after warming up hear it. I stop the rig and let it sit for an hour or so and it was gone. Had to replace a lifter and no problem. Seems once it was pumped up it wouldn't stay.

I'm going to throw a new set in there. I can pick up a dozen for around $40, so I figured why not? At the least, it'll be good experience and one less thing wrong with my motor!

Any tips or tricks to replacing them? Do they need to soak for a day or two?
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

Update: New lifters in, new swedged nuts on the rocker-studs. Truck is running beautifully, and not making a peep after about 60 miles of varied driving.
jeepbut
United States of America

Post by jeepbut »

Thanks for the update. I was wondering where this would head. Thanks, Lyman.
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

Well, despite my inexperience with hydraulic lifters, I'm an old air-cooled VW guy, Volvo guy, International Harverster guy...

Let's see if 1500 miles or so passes without incident.

Shade-tree lifter break-in as follows:

1) Copious assembly lube.

2) 1/2 an hour of no-spark turning over in the hopes I could get oil to the cam.

3) Static adjustment.

4) Start-up and idle high enough to shoot oil all over the place--estimate 1500 rpm--for 20 mins.

5) Running adjustment at 170-190F.

6) A long drive in city traffic, and varied speeds, loads, and conditions.

7) Tomorrow, an oil change.

8) Keep my fingers crossed for the next several oil changes...
64 litl un

Post by 64 litl un »

I had a 302 that did what you describe, it was the broken off skirt of the #1 piston bouncing up and down in the cylinder between the piston and crankshaft. I caught it quick enough so I did not have to replace the cam bearings. I could have got by by just replacing that one piston but I did them all plus crank and rod bearings. If it does not resolve after adjustment, lifter, or fuel pump change you may be well advised to open her up.
I can drive it home with one headlight.
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

Thanks for everyone's input! Always a gamble when an older engine starts making noises...

I've had some strange ones myself. Had a brand-new Volvo B20 start making what sounded like a bottom-end knock. Pulled the pan, inspected, measured, retorqued, and the noise continued.

After a few days of head-scratching, I accidentally bumped the fan and heard a clunking noise. Turns out the brand-new water-pump had a shaft that rocked fore-and-aft in the housing. I replaced the pump and the motor ran wonderfully--until the fuel-pump studs backed out at high rpm, a catastrohic loss of oil occurred, and the engine threw a rod... But that's another story.

Here's the hoping my 240 will live a while longer!