What are usual prices for used sheet metal nowadays??

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

DJ Bill

What are usual prices for used sheet metal nowadays??

Post by DJ Bill »

I recently contacted a vendor about some parts I was thinking about replacing...I had a feeling he was asking top market prices after reading his reply..

What would a typical price for a fairly complete cab with no doors with minimal or no rust be nowadays? I used to buy western cabs in NM and AZ junkyards for $200 back in the early 90's...so I'd be expecting the $400-$600 range...he was a LOT higher than that.

Also the core support I realize is being repopped for $300 for an inferior part to the originals, but what is typically the price on a good used one? I had sticker shock on the one he had, as I have bought entire parts trucks for that kind of cash...

I am also curious of what you veterans of the hobby would consider fair prices for doors, fenders , and short beds...flare and styleside....

Here's the quotes:

Cab: 1200 and up?(stripped to the bone)
Core support $650 or more??
Doors??
Fenders??
Beds? We paid $500 for a step side bed and fenders in Dallas from a different junkyard..
Shortbed frame? Again, $500. As a rolling chassis, but the rear axle and brakes are probably junk.

Thanks guys!
foodstick

Re: What are usual prices for used sheet metal nowadays??

Post by foodstick »

well stupid or not I bought a real nice rad. core out of Hemmings 10 years ago for 250 shipped. I absolutely could not find one local.. and I didn't know how to weld then...
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Here's my :2cents: on parts,, last year with 8 trips out west, 1 61/66 truck,, this year been little better,, Now factor in last trip, 3400.00 in FUEL Only, THIS DOES COUNT For Food/Motels, wear and tear on equipment and being gone for 13 days,, wear and tear on body since I pulled on cab in AZ and at 8:00 AM pushing 90 degrees, one blown tire on trailer, 6:00 AM in Washington DOT inspection there for a hour and passed,, have not even stopped in Texas lately since most I have seen was pretty bad or looked like vultures ate it,,, Oh yes you can find cabs if you want swiss cheese,, years ago use to be several people did this now maybe 3 if lucky for reasons they might go once a year or just gave up since it's been hard to find good parts,, trucks used to be 500 to 1000 are now 2500 thanks to reality shows and quality has gone down,, years ago trucks where a lot, but now it's been hard,, we use to be able to make a round in 6-7 days , now 10-14 days,,, also all these parts are just not laying on the ground to be picked up,, a lot of full service yards only deal in late model parts,, then you have to go to pull it yards,,, Try spending a day in 90-110 degree heat, wrench slips and rips your finger open,, then drag parts 1/2 back cause it never seems the trucks are at front,, If it was the fact I did not love trucks, then I say heck with and not try to save parts,, and you can forget about these Big Companies they don't care about used parts all they want to sell if the Tawain Junk.. like I said just my :2cents: on parts
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
SRSControls
United States of America

Post by SRSControls »

Bill,

I have a 66 cab for sale in the for sale section and I am in NV. If you are interested, PM me. And I know what you mean. I have been looking for parts here in Las Vegas on CL as well as So. Cal and all I seem to find is overpriced dentbuckets!

I know of maybe 1 or 2 yards here locally that carry the old iron and they want a mint for their stuff!

Maybe it's time for me to take a drive through some small towns with a trailer and a hand full of cash! :mrgreen:

"If you didn't pay to buy the parts, sweat and shed your own blood to build it, pay to register it, and pay to insure it, your opinion of it is of no matter to me."

"This is the Hotrod section....we drive our trucks. The trailer queens are over there!"

64 F-100 Short Bed (Under Construction)
Industrial Chassis Dakota crossmember kit #16
Industrial Chassis Brake Pedal Kit
"Top Secret" drive train
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

I've always been an addaholic, and in the last two years prices on these trucks have jumped. I'm also seeing the same thing on some of the cars. What is really a crock, is the crap people are offering for 4 or 5 thousand that are scrap. Tom is lucky to still be in business at all. He offers a service that is going to die out in the future because of costs. Like NOS parts things will dry up. Those that still have the stuff, will see the high prices advertised and know their rusted out hulk is worth a fortune. It's already happening. As to 1200 for a cab is high, If I really needed it , my answer would be no. Cab mounts at 90$ each floor pans at 60$ each cab corners at 50$ each, cross brace under cab 80$ each and etc. etc. , plus time, effort and a lot of expense installing . All in all , everything depends on your point of view. I am capable of doing my own welding and fabricating , even so I only have so many years left. I've just spent the last week working every day on a set of fenders for my grandsons truck. Actually I've done 3 fenders , as I wasn't totally happy with one of the ones I had. These are ready for final paint in the next day or two, insides already done. Mind you I had two of these fenders powder coated at a cost of 60$ each. If, I had it to do over again, powder coating on fenders needing minor body work would not happen. Something to consider , is you can buy a new fender and other parts for these trucks now, and it's a good thing. I just suggest bolting everything together for fitment before doing body work. Everything need adjustment even used stuff. We all want the best bang for the buck, and to this end I will call attention to the occasional truck I see for sale that is already done or near it. It's cheaper to buy a good truck already finished.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
DJ Bill

Post by DJ Bill »

I know and understand where Tom as a reseller is coming from but I was looking for what you guys are currently paying now at junkyards and from private people at meets and off Craigs and the bay......Tom is providing one stop shopping and we can't afford that luxury right now. I have some parts to sell myself for my buddy but no idea what current pricing is and so far my buddy has overpaid for everything from what I see....Of course he also dealt with a less then scrupulous seller or two. Buying sight unseen from across the country is something we will be avoiding from now on.

I have a 64 cab in very nice shape, a 66 hood with one small pinhole, fenders, and a sweet sandblasted and painted frame that is so nice all the vins are as readable as the day it left Ford. We also are considering buying the parts to compete the truck as a pure 65/6 instead of fabbing up the 62-4 cab but as I am a jeep guy I don't know current market pricing.

No offense meant Tom.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

DJ Bill wrote:Buying sight unseen from across the country is something we will be avoiding from now on.

not a problem when it comes to Tom.

you get what you pay for and if you dont have time to crawl thru cl and it bs and junkyards then buying from Tom or other members here is the way to go.

i used to spend a lot of time hunting and dragging slicks home and theres many a member in the US, Canada and even Australia that has parts on their slick from Alaska. thing is i was never getting rich off them, i gave up on evilbay years ago and just sold here to members and locally where i lived.

last few years prices on everything has gone way up.
the tv shows are a big part but general inflation is too.
the imported steel is junk, therefore original unmolested parts are going to be more costly.
the governments cash for clunkers giveaway a few years back caused a big uptick in cleaning out salvage yards all across the country.
supply and demand is now the issue, a bigger demand and minimal supply.
back in the 70s you could buy running slicks for as little as $100. same with other cars.
now we are near or at the 10x scale, 65 truck $2500 new, today unmolested in new condition asking $25K.

heres an example of insanity
if this one is "very nice condition" i will be elected the next president
http://westslope.craigslist.org/cto/4551789071.html

heres some good body part but only if you have the place and time to deal with
http://westslope.craigslist.org/cto/4550285580.html

bet you probably could get this for $950
http://westslope.craigslist.org/cto/4539106495.html

this is one of the nicest affordable (under $5K) trucks i have seen lately
http://westslope.craigslist.org/cto/4574487701.html
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

I just got thru looking at a sellers list of NOS parts on Evilbay. He had 40 pages of stuff mostly in the 80's, and to give you an example of his prices, he had a clutch return spring listed for 47$. To each their own I suppose. Used fenders vary in price from 50 to 250 depending on who has it . I wouldn't sell a good fender for less than 150, but then again I am not selling parts for a living. I have repairable cabs 65/6 and a 62 fire truck cab I would not sell for less than 1500. A good cab that needs no repair is in the 500 minimum price range. Problem with most of those, cost a fortune to get them here. Radiator core supports for a 66 are dear. I've got one that if offered 1k for , I doubt I would sell. Mostly, I keep parts until needed. I have some NOS fenders and payed more for some of these than reproductions cost. As to what anything is worth, it's what one man will give and another will take. I bought a fender in Wisconsin, and haven't figured out how to get it home. As to your friends dilemma, I feel for him as I have been burned by sellers and the post office. Somehow they managed to lose a NOS steering gear box. The box arrived taped shut haphazardly. Never even got my postage money out of that. LIfe is short, sometimes your the bug on the windshield. AS to other prices, hoods without damage or rust bring higher prices. 100 and up. doors 50 and up. Frankly, a near perfect door should bring way in excess of 100. Beds are another high dollar item if rust free.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Welcome to our world down here, wrecking yards have wanted top dollar as long as I can remember... :evil:
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
DJ Bill

Post by DJ Bill »

Rich, Thanks for your post.. that is just the sort of info I was seeking. I could tell you a good used Jeep tub sells for $750 and up, Jeep fenders are $50 plus all day long at the swap meet, and motors can be bought in running shape for $250 and up, but I am not in tune with the Slick 60 stuff and needed some ideas...So the core supports are pretty dear? I guess I'm going to have to sharpen my metal shaping skills....(I can make it functional easily bot duplicating those complex curves in the lower corners by the radiator is a bit tricky, as is making the repairs invisible. )

Here's one of the bad deals: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Ford-F-100 ... 7675.l2557

Turned out to have death rattles in the engine, worn out clutch, and severe rot in the doorposts and floor supports with bubbling in the front mounts. Body was also poorly repaired with a quarter welded on, which I saw when I picked it up. I personally would not have bought the truck but my buddy really wanted it..He spent an hour pointing out all the flaws when I got it to his house 2000 miles away, and he hadn't found the door pillar rust at that time. Engine noise which was thought to be valve adjustment would not go entirely away and when I did adjust the valves, the other nose became clear and it was a bad rod knock type of sound but not rod knock. It does have disc brakes...

Over $500 in patch panels will put a good dent in the work needed. Plus the core support. Notice the sellers description of no rust holes larger than a quarter......Core support had rot in it so bad the one side was no longer hooked to the truck, and it was approaching that on the other side. When all the NM dirt was hosed out of the left pillar, you could see the front tire though it from inside the cab. I would have never paid that much for the truck myself but my bud wanted it badly, expecting a truck that he could repair the brakes on, tune up and drive. We were given the option by the seller to inspect and take or leave it, but with $1200 in fuel costs for the trip he did not want me to return empty handed, no matter what, which was a mistake.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

I looked at this truck on e-bay,, till I looked at closer,, saw in pics on pass side rear bed side damage,, Both inner fenders are ate out with cancer,, if it has cancer all the way up that far,, most likely its at the bottom also.... should have asked for pics of cab mounts, floor boards,, seller took the higher pics instead of the lower by the doors opened,, also you should have asked fro pic of front bed panel,, ++ wrong tailgate

Had to update this,,, Another Flag on this truck,, from Santa Fe, New Mexico,, well last time I looked it does rain and snow there,, salt is used on roads,, and it's not a desert there, says tailgate straight,, too bad looks crooked to me and dented...
Last edited by 6166 Junkyard Dog on July 24, 2014, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Nathan390
United States of America

Post by Nathan390 »

Iceman,

I like your 4th link..

I bet it could be bought for $3800 cash.. but I'd want to see it in person first..

Not that I'm in the market for another slick right now.. the wife wants a fridge. The ford kind.. not the Kenmore type
Nathan Cooper,
1965 slick f100 4*4
1963.5 falcon sprint
1963 falcon squire wagon
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I use craigslist a lot for parts. I bought a complete cab and short bed for $600. There were minor rust issues. The bed needed the front 6" of the floor and there was a minor path on the drivers floor along the rocker seam. I think this was fair, but I also looked for a long time before finding anything. Part of the cost from re-sellers is that they have what you need right now, no searching and save you a lot of effort. I think a fair price from an individual is much less that from a business. The individual is most often looking to free up space where the business is hoping to make a profit after overhead.
SLICKCOLLECTOR
United States of America

Post by SLICKCOLLECTOR »

it is a seller's market. there are thousands of people restoring these slicks and the supply of usable parts is drying up fast. supply and demand dictate the price and the prices are rising. the cost of repairing less than usable parts is expensive even if your labor is free. what is your time worth? here in the midwest good quality stuff is just about gone if not gone. the premium for good sheet metal is often cheap compared to the time and expense of fixing the junk. these are facts.

jim
1966 F100 SW 428CJ C6
1965 F100 SW 428 TL sold
1966 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1965 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1966 F100 LB RANGER 390 C6 sold finally
1965 F100 SW CVC 460PI C6
1972 F100 RANGER XLT SW 428 C6 SOLD
1967 F100 SW CVC 521 C6
1967 F350 390 4 SPEED
1970 F350 428 4 SPEED
1974 F350 428 4 SPEED
1966 F100 523 STROKER C6 GEARVENDORS OVERDRIVE finished
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

I've done the core support thing on my grandsons truck, and it is a time consuming and difficult job. If, I were you, I would be looking at Evilbay for a core support from California. Otherwise, there is a repop of the 65 coming out of Oklahoma City. It would be easier to do a conversion on one of those than repair a badly rusted out one. Trust me, this task is not for the faint of hearted, and you better have good skills. Your buddy got rpped and I know how he feels. I bought a 66 shortbed out of north Carolina, drove to get it and tow it home. I should have told the guy to stuff it when I got there. It started fine but I couldn't hear much over the exhaust leaks. From the pictures the truck looked good. Minimal rust meant there were pins holes in the side of the bed and a 6 inch swath across the front that were missing, and of course the support was bad. When I got it home I was so upset that I had bought it, I stored it for almost two years before getting it out to drive. That was when I found out the engine was going bad . It seems someone had replaced the timing chain and gears, with a more modern set. Difference between what was and what is, original had a washer behind the cam timing gear, and new ones have the offset built into the timing gear. Parts companies used to put in instructions about this with the parts. Either the person installing these parts didn't read these instructions or didn't know to leave the spacer out. Timing chain was grinding away at the timing cover and filling the pan with grindings. Funny thing is, the cab mounts were the only thing really good on the truck. I drive this truck every day as a beater, but have replaced the bed, engine , transmission, brakes third member, axle bearings, u joints, master cylinder, brake cylinders, but waiting to change out cab (floors are gone, and I can see the road on both sides). Fenders will also be replaced as will the core support ( I patched it on the truck ) By the time I get done, it will have only the frame left that is original. Incidentally, the collage professor I bought this from taught business ethics, it's no wonder our country is in trouble with someone like him teaching our young people to conduct business. Couple things I forget to mention. At some time in the past the truck had been poorly repaired and painted with some poor quality paint and it mildews badly, and someone used it as a painting platform and stood on the roof to do some painting then pushed it back out. I am normally not this easy to swindle. But like you said, you had already spent 1200 to go and get it. I was in the same boat. Screwed!

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Rich that truck your talking about you got in NC,, It did not come from the Raleigh/Durham area ? blue or 2 tone blue, ???
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

SLICKCOLLECTOR
United States of America

Post by SLICKCOLLECTOR »

there are no morals or ethics in to today's business world. when i took ethics in business school in kansas university it meant something. that was in the 79 or 80. i am surprised they still teach ethics. the only thing that matters is that they extract as much money as posssible in as short a time as possible and retire to a gated community where they can hide from the waste land the corporate moguls left behind. by the way i am self-employed and have been a practicing CPA since 1982. i still believe those things that i was taught but now it is all about the money and greed. quarterly profits, cooking the books, get yours and out the door. remember ENRON, TYCO, BERNIE MADOFF, . there are thousands of such examples. there are no penalties for white collar crime and almost never does anyone go to jail. even WALMART has been stained by corruption by bribing the mexicans to bring in supercenters.

jim
1966 F100 SW 428CJ C6
1965 F100 SW 428 TL sold
1966 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1966 F100 LB RANGER 390 C6 sold finally
1965 F100 SW CVC 460PI C6
1972 F100 RANGER XLT SW 428 C6 SOLD
1967 F100 SW CVC 521 C6
1967 F350 390 4 SPEED
1970 F350 428 4 SPEED
1974 F350 428 4 SPEED
1966 F100 523 STROKER C6 GEARVENDORS OVERDRIVE finished
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Jim
it's all about profit margin and that's why Big Companies like LMC, D.C. Classis Parts,,, etc.... sell Tawain Sheet Metal it's all about the $$$ and that's why we still sell USA Made sheet metal here and go out of the way to get it,, if it's black I don't want it ...,, some parts cannot help,, someday I will find the USA Made arm rest's for these trucks instead of oversea's and that's we still don't sell them either + few other items
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

SLICKCOLLECTOR wrote: the cost of repairing less than usable parts is expensive even if your labor is free. what is your time worth? jim

indeed.
and even those trucks which appear to be clean have hidden issues once completely dismantled.
countless hours spent doing some of these repairs
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=11692

and i am not the only one, the build forum is filled with similar threads and pics.

i cut out many metal sections and shipped them out to others , lots of the aftermarket stuff does not fit correctly so there is a market for good used metal.

one then considers not only the time to carefully cut the pieces out but the one then who reinstalls them after cutting out his or her rotted metal.

on the other side
my grandfather beat out dents with a bfh and lead was his filler.
there were no fancy wire welders or plasma cutters ,nor aftermarket replacement parts.
those early restorers used what they had and fixed what was necessary.
nice to buy new if possible but there is a satisfaction from using your skills to repair things others would cast aside.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

No this was several years ago and it was tan colored.

Rich
6166 Junkyard Dog wrote:Rich that truck your talking about you got in NC,, It did not come from the Raleigh/Durham area ? blue or 2 tone blue, ???
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus