new parts

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

therealjoeshmoe

new parts

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

finally got all my new raybestos emergency brake cables in.. gonna have me a rolling chassis this weekend!!!!
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
therealjoeshmoe

Re: new parts

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

then i can start forming brake lines!! woohoo! lol
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I think thats great! Its a great feeling to start the reassembly process
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
pikupmn
United States of America

Post by pikupmn »

good to see you get to get some progress, waiting on stuff really sux,
i don't envy the job that lays ahead tho......
i had to form brake lines, gas lines, and tranny lines
i hate forming lines now. Jeff
it's never too late to have a happy childhood

1966 Long Box 5/8 ton wha.gif
2012 F150 XLT Super Crew 3.5 TWIN TURBO ......yee haw
2000 Road King
rderr

Post by rderr »

Not intending to hi-jack this thread but... I am at the same point and was considering pre-bent lines. at roughly $150 I figured until I bought a double flare tool and the line the difference in price would be to save my piece of mind. Curious to hear what others have done.

Thanks,
Rick
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

^^To each his own I say. There is something to having a factory bent pre-formed line. You don't have to guess where it goes. I have used some fuel and brake lines like that on my tbird and it was nice to have them. And like u said. no benders threadsrs cutters etc. and lots of extra line laying there as scrap.

When I have made my own lines I consider the challenge and try to enjoy the puzzle. I always like to see well designed fuel lines over the engine to the carb(s). Anyone can stick hoses and filters on with clamps.

:2cents:

Also I will add that u may pay a little more for shipping due to weird shapes and size, but still probly be worth it.
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

Pre-bent lines will be for an original truck, with a single-pot master cylinder. If you are keeping the brakes original that should work fine.
If your truck has - or has plans to have - a later dual master cylinder and/or disc brakes, the plumbing will be completely different.
Ordering original lines for a truck modified with Ford upgrades may not be the best idea either - it wasn't for me.
I harvested the entire set of parts from a '78 F-150 - the power steering, power disc brakes, and purchased the '78 pre-bent brake lines.
The line running to the rear was too long, so I had to shorten it (and re-flare it as well. Later trucks are a few inches longer in the length.)
The rear axle cross-over line was too long as well, necessitating it to be shortened an re-flared. (Later trucks have wider rear axles, by 4 inches or so.)
I didn't mount the pressure differential switch properly, and that took a bunch of unnecessary time and frustration.
In retrospect, I would spend the dollars on a high quality flare tool and make them all myself.

Hope this helps.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I agree with you John, the one I bought takes longer to take out, set up,and put away than whatever profect I am doing. Its hard to pull the trigger on that much money for just one car or truck. I have a bunch of projects that will all get new lines, and they make perfect machined flares every time, so it was worth it to me.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!