'64 starter drive ??

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

hayman68
Canada

'64 starter drive ??

Post by hayman68 »

I got this starter with the truck but not sure if its working right. I bench tested the starter and it spins and all but i noticed the drive is all the way out (engaged)... In order to get it back into the home position(disengaged) like in picture you have to take a little pick and flip up a little pin or something to get it to go into place. I've never fooled with one quite like this one.

Is the drive faulty or what? The starterwas all painted up as it looked like someone had took it apart at one time but it wasn't mounted on the engine. It does fit and its the correct starter for this 292 v8.

Last edited by hayman68 on July 26, 2014, 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: '64 starter drive ??

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

actually the y block and early 6 cyl. starters are reversed, when power is applied the drive moves inward toward the starter motor.
so your pic is of a disengaged drive

even if the drive is "in" the starter can be installed without any problem.
after the starter drive is in or engaged it takes a certain rpm of the flywheel once the truck starts to kick it back out.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Someone posted on here awhile ago that pushing a piece of pencil lead (graphite) down the slot will help it slide back where it belongs plus dry lube the works... but as Iceman stated it will install,in the engaged position
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
hayman68
Canada

Post by hayman68 »

Ahhh so then it's ok as is to try out.... the engine rpm throws it back out of the fly wheel.

Update : Engine fired up and starter worked properly.