Article on my 64

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64 litl un

Article on my 64

Post by 64 litl un »

Here is a brief story on my 64.

http://www.junkyardlife.com/2010/07/cars-in-yards-slick-60s-1964-f-100.html

For some reason the truck always sticks around. When I've tried to sell it; and believe me it was priced right just above scrap price, nobody bites. When I considered taking it over the scales, the kids protested, just like I did when I pulled it home from the pasture.

I've learned the hard way that being sentimental with these old hunks of iron can be bad for you wallet. With that said, I guess there is something else going on. Simply put I guess it's dreams, you know a young man's dreams. It's the interaction, I dare say the relationship between man and machine. Like how sailors call ships she, or nearly everyone who has been in a tight spot driving or just cranking on a cold morning...."come on baby."

I can't help but think of when I was a 13 year old boy in a Alabama pasture having a conversation with a old truck. " I'm going to fix you." Sitting in the cab...driving.

So here I am. My son will be 14 soon my daughter is 15. There is no better candidate to build than the 64.

Thing is, it really is in good shape and it has it where it counts. Besides that, nearly three generations of Browns have grown up with it. It's time again for it to make some more memories.
Last edited by 64 litl un on July 30, 2014, 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I can drive it home with one headlight.
foodstick

Re: Article on my 64

Post by foodstick »

Nice little story . These trucks do sort of get to be family.
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

Nice story, thanks for sharing. I have a 64 as well. I'm not as super sentimental about it so much as I just like it and enjoy it because of its simplicity. Which is exactly why I still don't want to restore it OR over - restore or modify it too much at one time.
Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

I've been playing with Grandpa's truck since about 1980. Some of my best memories of him are with this truck. I got it in about 94 or 95 and finally started driving it in 2010. Family vehicles are the greatest. Fix it and enjoy it. That story will only get better when you can tell it after you park it at the local hang out.
1965 F100 "Papaw's Pride"

"So I'm working on a cistern inlet valve and the guy hands me a lock nut wrench! I was like 'What is this, a drainpipe slipknot!'" -Flo