I am in a bad spot.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Oregoon

I am in a bad spot.

Post by Oregoon »

Ordinarily, I'd never share this. I try to remain largely positive and I abhor whiners. However, this is a strangely supportive liitle window into the web...

Anyway, shortly after install, the valve-train in the '71 240 I put in my '66 started ticking away really badly, some unadjustable noise.

I tried new swedged nuts and the trouble persisted. I tried all the usual tricks, leaning on the offending rockers with an ax handle, heavier oil, etc., but the trouble prevailed. Just an occasional miss, but a considerable noise at idle (500-900 rpm), and a stumble during acceleration. Adjustment took this away. Fifty miles later, it returned.

Otherwise, the engine ran great. Good power, serviceable compression... I put new lifters in and for a few hundred miles, it ran like a charm. Figured I had it licked.

Out of nowhere, I encountered a BAD clatter as the engine came down to idle. Stethoscope shows touble around #1 and #2. Both are adjusted properly. Sounds good at throttle or sustained load, but as she comes down, she sounds like a beer-can in a blender. Not lower-end knock, but obvious lifter-clatter. And it sounds like a rod-bearing is spinning.

Idle is still okay--stumbling--but the good compression is fighting... Clearly my cam is on the way out. It sounds like a garbage disposal and it's getting worse. I gambled on a used engine, and I lost.

Trouble is, I have a new job opp, and I NEED a running rig, ASAP. This is a curious time in my life, and I'm trying to hang on.

If life is timing, mine is lousy... Bad-swears lousy. Bad, bad swears.

So, if anyone has a line on a good engine around Portland, OR, please hit me up. Otherwise, I'm buying a Corolla, and sending the 'slick into the Back-Back 40. And If I get a reasonable offer on it between then and now, it has to go...

This sucks, but I'm 40 years old, and I have a young family and an absurd amount of student loan debt. And I don't want to spend the rest of my days driving a semi. It's not why I went to college... I love my truck, but I am jammed up. Out of options. Screwed.

Let me know.
Working on a '66 F100 with a '71 240 and the original three-on-the-tree...
mercuryv8
Canada

Re: I am in a bad spot.

Post by mercuryv8 »

Why does bad stuff always happen to good people.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Oregoon wrote:I gambled on a used engine, and I lost.

done that more than once myself.
won a few too.
there has to be some decent 6 cyl. engines in your area.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I am not close enough to be of any help other than to be supportive. I believe you have general oil pressure problems due to excessive wear in the crank bearings. I think your initial success after some changes is due to fresh oil. The only thing that would really fix this is another engine or rebuild. Since you are at wits end anyways, why not try something like STP to try and thicken your oil enough to cut down on the clatter? This is a cheap thing to try and might get you some time. If you do look for another engine go a little newer to get something that was designed more for todays fuels and oils. Mid-eighties engines are still carbed but have hardened seats... I hope what ever you try works out.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Definitely sorry to hear that, Dave! I wish the newly rebuilt engine on C/L here had been in your area. There ought to be some available around there. Does the local LKQ's (if any) list their current inventory?
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
ras4434
United States of America

Post by ras4434 »

Dave, Give pm me or give me a call. My buddy who had the bone yard may be able to come up with what you need. Very helpful and top shelf guy. WE could let him check around and see what he could come up with at his price. 300-I6 correct, or is it a 240. Either would work.
Ross Swearingen
1965 F100 "MIKI"
1965 F100 4x4 looking for a new home
ras4434
United States of America

Post by ras4434 »

Dave, Give pm me or give me a call. My buddy who had the bone yard may be able to come up with what you need. Very helpful and top shelf guy. WE could let him check around and see what he could come up with at his price. 300-I6 correct, or is it a 240. Either would work.
Ross Swearingen
1965 F100 "MIKI"
1965 F100 4x4 looking for a new home
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Damn Dave That Really Suck's. There Has Been A Few Decent Motors Come Up On C/L Here In T-Town As Of Late. Wish You Were Closer. Keep Your Chin Up Buddy You Gotta Be Due For Some Good Luck Soon!. Maybe Try And Score A Cheap Beater To Get Around, But Don't Give Up On The Slick................
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Dang that sucks. Wish I was in a better position to help. 86 was the last year for carbed 300's. Hope you can find something layin around...
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

Thanks for the support, everyone. I really don't want to see it go, and I'm probably just going to deep-six it until an affordable motor comes along. I can do some body work while I wait. And to be honest, it's not worth much with an engine that sounds like a stump-grinder.

I'd rather pick up a $1000 grocery-getter and let my work-life sort itself out than sell my truck off. I've bought and sold numerous Corollas over the years. Buy them for $1000 with 200K. Sell them for $750 with 300K. The things are nearly indestructable.

I'd like my Slick to be a daily-driver eventually, but all things happen in time, and both my family and my needs are better served by picking up a grocery-getter and shopping for a newer used engine, or maybe just biting the bullet and getting a rebuild.

The former is probably a better bet than the latter, since my family's modest savings account is finally nearing five figures, and this after a bankruptcy in '08. Dropping 2K on a new engine, plus another several hundred on clutch, etc isn't in the cards. Prudent reserves are a life saver, and a family of four burns through funds like a 460 with a supercharger.

Ras, I'll call you tomorrow evening. Everybody else: Please bear me in mind if you have a line on a solid six.
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

There is still a used six out there somewhere with your name on it. Timing of course is everything on these things though.

I also recently bought a used 292 yblock engine to replace an even more tired 223 six. I been holding my breath every time I take it out for an errand. It has been holding up well so far, although it wasn't the most cost effective route to take after all. (with all my self convincing) The swap nickled and dimed me to no end.

Nothing wrong with the Corrolla option as far as I am concerned if it gets you back in the game.
Nathan390
United States of America

Post by Nathan390 »

I see you listed the truck for sale on craigslist.

That sucks...

Can you rebuild the rod knocker while driving the rattler?

I imagine you can rebuild the lower end for less than a corolla..

Just a thought.
Nathan Cooper,
1965 slick f100 4*4
1963.5 falcon sprint
1963 falcon squire wagon
Nathan390
United States of America

Post by Nathan390 »

There is a 1966 300 and truck 4 speed for sale in greshem, or $450.
Posted today on craigslist.

There is a rebuilt short block 300 in Coeur d'Alene ID. $500 obo. Might be too far..
There is a 80s f150 for sale near me with a 300 with speed parts $800 obo.. whole truck, but doesn't run. Wants to..

Is it possible the pressed in rocker studs are pulling put of the head?
Nathan Cooper,
1965 slick f100 4*4
1963.5 falcon sprint
1963 falcon squire wagon
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

I did list it, but it's down now. Figured I'd see what options I had, and to be honest, I simply can't bear the thought of selling it. Got a few offers, but I simply can't bring myself to even show it. A co-worker wants to give me $1500, but it's staying right here.

Furthermore, the people I've met on this site play no small part in that decision. It's a great old truck--pretty straight and love driving it--and the folks here on this board are as supportive as a person could want.

Estacada Auto Wrecking has a '90 4.9 with 107K on it, and a warranty. Going to call them up next week and see what's what. Going to email Ras here in a few as well.

Going fishing this weekend, camping, and taking a long pedal down the beach on my cruiser bike... Priorities, man!
Nathan390
United States of America

Post by Nathan390 »

I understand man.

There's more to life than worrying about how to fix something.

I have a falcon wagon with an engine that I just finished assembling. Ready to go back I the bay.
from what we know of this car it hasn't ran in 10 plus years..

Whats one more week? I'm going to the property and spend the weekend with the family.

I'm thinking I'll drive the slick.. think 4 people will fit?

Have fun and enjoy your weekend.

Lesson my dad taught me..1. dont sweat the small stuff. 2. Everything non life threatening is small stuff.
Nathan Cooper,
1965 slick f100 4*4
1963.5 falcon sprint
1963 falcon squire wagon
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

Nathan390 wrote:

Lesson my dad taught me..1. dont sweat the small stuff. 2. Everything non life threatening is small stuff.

I like your dad's style!

The thing that's really complicating all this is my need for a new job. I make a good living, but I'm stuck in a very toxic environment at my current job--to sum it up, it's adversarial, disorganized, and needlessly stressful--and my need to get out of there is causing me to force things, which is not my usual style.

And trying to ram a change through isn't making life any easier, nor is it hastening the desired results.

I've learned a few things from this situation, but the outcome is that The Slick stays, and any new position I accept must be in bicycle distance.

The rest of it will work itself out in the fullness of time.

Now, beer and flyfishing...
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I like YOUR style.
:cheers:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Nathan390
United States of America

Post by Nathan390 »

1982 rebuilt 300 in everett, wa $500..

on seattle's CL
Nathan Cooper,
1965 slick f100 4*4
1963.5 falcon sprint
1963 falcon squire wagon