Who has limited slip?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Blackwaterforge

Who has limited slip?

Post by Blackwaterforge »

Who has limited slip in a Dana 60?
How do you like it?
I would like to swap 3.54 gears and limited slip into my Dana 60 4:10 open differential.
If it cain't be fixed with a sledge hammer it must be an electrical problem!
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Re: Who has limited slip?

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

I have a limited slip dana 60 with 4.56 gears. I can't say too much about it cause I just putz around town or the back yard with it, but I'm pleased with it so far. Hasn't given me any trouble in rain or anything and it hasn't gotten stuck off the pavement... yet lol.

I saw some people saying on here that it can be dangerous in snow/rain/ice which I don't know too much about. I've only driven it in rain and it worked fine for me.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

not currently but i had it in my d70 on my 65 towtruck.
truck was 4wd and 4.10

a lot of people confuse limited slip with lockers which effectively lock both tires in while limited slip has clutches which distribute the torque to the needed side.

there was a definite advantage in the d70, especially with tire chains while plowing snow or when going thru deep mud.

not sure what your looking for in terms of traction, i know you regularly haul heavy items in your truck.
dropping from 4.10 to 3.54 will work your engine a bit more when hauling that stuff, mostly starting out from a stop but some on uphill grades too.

i also have limited slip in my 64 rambler, it has a 3.15 rear. it handled well the few times i drove it in the winter. i also keep a couple sandbags in the trunk as well as a toolbox during the winter for added traction.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

If I am not mistaken, the 3.54 gearset will not work in the high ratio case.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Blackwaterforge

Toyz wrote:If I am not mistaken, the 3.54 gearset will not work in the high ratio case.

Sorry: It's the rear differential.
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

I think the split is at 4.10... 4.56 and up will work in one and 4.10 and lower in the other. I was going to replace my 4.56's and had to get another axle with 4.10s.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

4.10 up should be the same. All lower numerical ratios use different ring gear thickness to accommodate the gearset. 4.10/ 4.56, is just a matter of different shims. Good info on the pros and cons as well as the differences at DodgeRam.org. Search differential setup.
Paul
Last edited by Toyz on August 14, 2014, 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Toyz wrote:4.10 up should be the same. All lower numerical ratios use different ring gear thickness to accommodate the gearset. 4.10/ 4.56, is just a matter of different shims. l

Well thats good to know now lol
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Oops, Dana lists the kit as 3.07 thru 4.10, so I am evidently wrong on the split. Sorry for the bad info. There is also some concerns on pinion clearances, but I do not recall what is what.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
sgettin

Post by sgettin »

got a limited slip rear (4:56) in my 4x4 f250. i use the truck around the farm and for occasional runs to town. rarely notice it.
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Russell,
My 66-250 has a 4:10 limited slip factory,a 3:73 was also available.Seems to do the job,no problems since I bought the truck 2001.
Dan
Paul Merrell

Post by Paul Merrell »

I had a trac-lock in mine but it made too much noise when turning . So I removed it and put in a detroit limited slip no noise from rear. But let me tell you I have had it sideways after making a turn and shifting to third. And in the snow its fine just don't goose it or it will get loose.
"Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life - For better...or for worse." 1965 F250 4wheeldrive 390/4speed/dana 60 rear 3.73/dana 44/PB
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Just got a good reminder on why a limited slip is a good idea this weekend. While I do not care about how I hook up at the races, I was trying to move some other cars around. My 65 w/o limited slip would spin one tire or the other on the gravel. Pulled out the '66 camper special w/ limited slip, double the traction really does help.
Blackwaterforge

Thanks Guys!