Engine Dies at 15mph + problems

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Engine Dies at 15mph + problems

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

My father in law is on vacation for a week and I'm trying to get his truck running and inspected before he gets home as a surprise for him. He's done alot of work on the truck but for some reason the engine is still giving him trouble. He has a 1966 F250 4 spd with a 240 out of a 1970 something or other and a one barrel carter that looks like it used to have some sort of EGR hook up. He tried taking it out and it stalled out and died on him when he tried to shift into 3rd.
So far I've set the timing to 8 and got it idling nice. It still starts kinda hard. I've hooked the pcv valve and distributor up like the 300 in my 66 F250. The pcv valve to the intake manifold and the vacuum advance to the carb. I plugged all extra holes in the intake manifold and the extra hole on the distributor (it has one for vacuum advance and then a 2nd one for what I dont know). The engine seems to run much better but theres three main problems I've noticed.
1) If I mash on the gas pedal to quickly the engine bogs down and dies. If I do it slowly and evenly it'll rev up.
2) Once I hit about 15 mph and go to shift into 3rd the engine just dies out like its flooding.
3) I also noticed that the underside of the oil cap smells kinda gassy. That obviously can't be a good thing.

I'm open to any directions/recommendations as I've reached the extent of my limited engine/carb knowledge and am clueless as to where to go from here.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
Nathan390
United States of America

Re: Engine Dies at 15mph + problems

Post by Nathan390 »

The second vacuum port is for emissions.. usually hooked up to ported coolant temp switch.

You might want to replace the distributor with a single port vacuum. My thought is when you mash the gas the distributor isnt advancing properly.

Next is gassy oil. Is it from a leaky fuel pump? Or is the carb flooding and its washing the cylinder walls?

Change the oil and replace distributor. . Try again.. see if things improve
Nathan Cooper,
1965 slick f100 4*4
1963.5 falcon sprint
1963 falcon squire wagon
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Definitely check the fuel pump for leakage into the crankcase. It is easy to remove on the sixes, and will show obvious signs if leaking. If not leaking, do a full fuel delivery check to ascertain that pressures and volume are within spec. Internal carburetor leakage through the acceleration circuit may also be the culprit. Spark advance under acceleration is a function of the centrifugal advance. Leaving the inner (retard) port open to atmosphere should allow the vacuum advance to function as if it did not have the retard port, but should have little effect during acceleration. I would check that the centrifugal advance is free and functioning. It sounds as if you may have a hodge-podge of mis-matched items, so my recommendation would be (as usual), test!, test!, test! prior to any replacements. If your 300 is a dual-advance system, (both centrifugal and vacuum advance, not Loadomatic), if parts are found to be defective, I would suggest replacing by ordering parts as if they were going on your engine
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Thanks for all the suggestions/help guys. There is definitely alot of mismatch goin on with this truck from the carb/engine/dist combo all the way to the dodge dana rearend.

As of now the carburetor looks like the main culprit. He told me its been flooding out on him alot and he's ordered an extra one to rebuild the current one. Everything else seems to be fine. Figured out the dual ported dist hook up and his fuel pump is new and looks good.

So for now I guess in lieu of getting his truck running and inspected I'll try to get him a duraspark II set up and new distributor and leave the carburetor to him :lol:
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

When the egr opens it lets in added air so the carb is jetted for thar added air. When you remove the added air you end up with added fuel. That is my thoughts.