DIY Headliners

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

69supercj

DIY Headliners

Post by 69supercj »

Just wondering what some of you guys are doing for headliners. I hate the stock ones, they just look cheap and patched together. Gimme some pics and ideas please.
Mr. Jones

Re: DIY Headliners

Post by Mr. Jones »

I posted pics. 3/4/14 and 3/7/14 of mine,it's done with .040 anodized aluminum.
graybeard
United States of America

Post by graybeard »

Have you seen pictures of the three piece fiberglass headliners sold by Shadetree Engineering? I'd be glad to e-mail you a flyer with pictures of what they look like installed. PM me your home E-Mail address.
If you can't run with the big dogs "STAY UNDER THE PORCH" !!!!!
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

And if you are at Slickstock, you will be able to see Irl's "Shadetree" productions.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

Anybody ever heard of or used Kydex plastic board?
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

69supercj wrote:Anybody ever heard of or used Kydex plastic board?

I have. I would be leary of it's use because of the heat that is generated in the cab when it is sitting in the sun. At least here in Oklahoma!

I used pvc sheet which looked awesome for about 18 mos. Then one day BAM curled up and sagged down. I had the windows rolled up and it was easily 100 degrees outside. (oven inside!)

I would check the properties of kydex against heat and how it distorts, if it does? I have used it for other stuff and it works easily, and has a nice texture finish to it. It does distort some if you put to much pressure on it.

I would also invest in a good way to insulate that cab roof. I think that would make a huge difference first.
graybeard
United States of America

Post by graybeard »

We started working on the mold for our headliner around '94 I'm pretty sure the mold was finished and I pulled headliners for Pate '95 at Cresson. The #1 unit is still in the '65 Ranger
I built it for, it sat outside here for a few summers. In the spring of '99 I sold it to a gentelman from the San Antonio area, it's hotter there just not as much humidity. It has never drooped, sagged, shifted shape or cracked. That's almost twenty years isn't it? There is enough room above our liner to put Lizard Skin on the roof cap and then install a layer of Dura Liner. I know cause I did it on mine. Now if I can just pony up a grand I'll have a Vintage Air unit that will bring out goose bumps. Remember!
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

How much is one of the Shadetree headliners?
graybeard
United States of America

Post by graybeard »

SCJ

I'm glad you asked! For three years I carried them at $290.00, We've absorbed several price jumps in materials. Just this summer we've had two materials price jumps, one in Jun and another Aug the first. Our price per kit is now at $315.00. Freight is still high & going up. Greyhound is still holding the line. For $70.00 I can send one unit to Miami or Seattle. If three buddies go together and order three at one time I can ship them in one package for the same price as one, down side, I can not insure them for actual cost.

IRL COLLINS
CEO & Grounds Keeper
SHADETREE ENGINEERING