Cost effectiveness of shipping ntire truck usa to australia?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

sgettin

Cost effectiveness of shipping ntire truck usa to australia?

Post by sgettin »

Stopped by the local ford dealership here in iowa for work the other day and my coworker gets talking to a mechanic who shows us a 57-60 fridge he's dropped a crate engine in, done break work on etc. The guy says the trucks getting shipped to a customer in Australia when he's done. I know there are atleast a couple members here from Australia so thought I'd ask how cost effective would that be? I realize old iron is expensive over there but... Anyway i guess if you could find a place you trust spare parts are usually pretty cheap and available comparatively speaking, don't know about labor etc.
Or maybe the owner is from here and wanted his old truck back lol. Btw she was a bit crusty I think I'd have gotten one from a dry state if going to the expense of shipping it half way around the globe but hey that's the owners call not mine obviously.

scott.
rbeck204
United States of America

Re: Cost effectiveness of shipping ntire truck usa to austra

Post by rbeck204 »

Just sold an all-original 1964 to a guy in Australia. He paid $2500 to ship it in a container and more to have a crew load it into, and secure it in, the container. It must be worth it to them. My truck was completely rust free, original paint, unmolested. He had to have it!
Rich
61 T Bird Convertible
1953 Ford Customline 2 door
sgettin

Post by sgettin »

Actually $2500 or there abouts is less than i thought it would be. I'd assume the logistics are a pita but if stuff is as expensive as I hear it is over there it may be worth the hassle. kinda interesting concept either way.
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Double post
Last edited by Leeroy on August 24, 2014, 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Yes and no to answer your question! $2500 would be for the container only. Once it arrived customs slap a 5% fee on the original purchase price and shipping costs then add another 10% tax on the entire amount! (Purchase, shipping and 5% fee) it adds up quickly. On top of this you need an import approval (cheap) but MUST be done before it car arrives here and then there's the title issue of leaving the states. You're trusting someone has it, otherwise US customs WILL NOT let it off the docks.

When it comes to a slick, they are usually around double-ish for what we see your way but it's hard to compare exactly. The rust issues are just as common here although there are significantly less styleside beds to just swap out or spare parts trucks. Infact both the spare parts trucks I've seen I purchased and converted into daily drivers! :lol: Both the 2 styleside's I have had repaired were parts I see for <$500 on this site. :(
The main advantage of buying a slick locally is it's already built RHD.

I bought a 65 fastback mustang and had it converted and whilst it's good, I doubt I'd go through it all again. You don't always have that choice with American cars because not many were made both LHD and RHD, so like the mustang it's import it or don't have it.

In the entire time I've been I to slicks, I think I've seen 2 fridges ever. A lot more (well a few) more 50-57 models however. So if that model was your thing if expect it far easier to import one. If it were me though I'd be getting as much body work done BEFORE it left. That sort of work over here is terribly expensive, and that's if you can find a guy who wants to actually do it.

I looked at importing a uni about 2 years ago, it was all quite doable particularly with our dollar so favorable at the minute, but i ended up buying one of Alan from the forums spare slicks because it was complete and already RHD so abandoned the uni. I also wasn't sure I wanted another straight axle truck..... :lol: scared.gif
sgettin

Post by sgettin »

Well leeroy, I doubt I'll be putting anything on the boat for a while that does sound like a pain in the azz.
Interesting information though. Lotsa stuff I never thought of and i'm glad we still have shops willing to do body work on the old dogs (atleast we do here in Iowa).